The story of the "Ghost Dog" : Wolf Hunt

Overwatcher--Excellent shooting!!! That was a great write-up with super nice photos. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on bagging those two nice looking wolves.

That's a great story. Congratulations on what sounds like a well earned reward. They are sure beautiful and cunning creatures, despite their destructive nature.

Absolutely splendid read. Congratulations on your outstanding persistence that clearly paid dividends in the end. Certainly they are the ultimate PREDATOR and having targeted that particular Wolf then scoring it plus another as well not to mention a black one is true testerment to your ability both in the field and your marksmanship.

Again thanks for the compliments guys,not too great at telling stories but gave it a shot.These guys were beyond any watering hole bragging rights for me..that kind of stuff is just noise to me.
Something that has really stuck with me was from an article in PX,that was from Dustin Butler from preadordown.com.Went something like this..
"There are two kinds of coyote hunters,coyote callers and coyote killers"
That saying will stick with me forever.Thanks Dustin.
He pretty much drew the line in the sand for me,and made me kick up the shooting aspect of predator hunting.Competitive shooting has also been a major boost in shooting skills,and reccomend it.
Really got to ask ourself,we put all this effort and work into hunting...to miss!?
One last thing for me, is I try not to let my "ego" get the best of me,it actually ends up burning me! If your not the "dead eye" you wish you were,or the ultimate predator hunter,be willing to accept the fact and be willing to get better.
Lastly! lol dont let the guys at the local watering hole or gun shop sit and tell you this or that, and hear about the 100's of wolves and coyotes they have shot..Its just noise.Do what fits you,put in the time and get the outcome you strive for.You will hear nothing but crickets the next time you walk in..
My hope is the story will push you all to strive for what you want,one day it will come.
Thanks again,
OW

OW well put. Calling predators or getting the opportunity to shoot at one is one matter and requires much to go your way but connecting is another. One without the other is nowhere.

Your comments are inspiring.

Awesome stuff man. Are you gonna bleach the skulls? I see the one sitting on your bench. I want to make a cool display of all the different predator skulls. I have a bobcat, bear, coyote for now and hopefully a fox soon. Not sure I will ever get the mountain lion or wolf. Maybe the mountain lion but taking a wolf in our state will only get you a hefty fine and a revoked hunting license. Personally I would take a black wolf over a grey any day.

Everything is off to tan and the beetles,everyone seems to like the blacks more and yes they bring more $$,and yes a midnight black wolf is flat out bone chilling looking.I don't know what it has been about a gray that is so appealing,maybe just the fact that they are tougher to spot.They honestly have the ultimate camo pattern.The black's stick out like an angus cow!
I have some wolf skulls hanging around if your looking for one.PM sent.

Great story, thanks for sharing it. Great pictures, and the way you laid out the story really got me excited I live in Oregon and just joined this forum. I'm semi retired now so can pursue the things I used to do many years ago, like hunt coyotes. I manage two methane digestors (cow manure to make Methane gas, which run electrical generators) in Tillamook county Oregon. We have lots of diary farms here and lots of coyotes. I am getting into hunting them as I have permission from several farmers to hunt on their land. I'm pretty pumped. One of the farmers is also a coyote hunter. He told me of a dog/coyote alpha male he has been after and said he likes to hang around one of the digestor sites. I went out in the fields which surround the digestors and found some big tracks, lots of scat and lots of evidence of coyote digging. Now I'm taking my 22-250 with me each morning I go to work Hopefully I'll have a good story soon.

Well done OW! It's great to read about success and taking your game to that level.

I'd just like to get one wolf. Bucket list item for sure.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: oregonhuntGreat story, thanks for sharing it. Great pictures, and the way you laid out the story really got me excited I live in Oregon and just joined this forum. I'm semi retired now so can pursue the things I used to do many years ago, like hunt coyotes. I manage two methane digestors (cow manure to make Methane gas, which run electrical generators) in Tillamook county Oregon. We have lots of diary farms here and lots of coyotes. I am getting into hunting them as I have permission from several farmers to hunt on their land. I'm pretty pumped. One of the farmers is also a coyote hunter. He told me of a dog/coyote alpha male he has been after and said he likes to hang around one of the digestor sites. I went out in the fields which surround the digestors and found some big tracks, lots of scat and lots of evidence of coyote digging. Now I'm taking my 22-250 with me each morning I go to work Hopefully I'll have a good story soon.
I can see a good story coming already! Makes it more then just another coyote when you get a game of chess going with them.Good luck,can't wait to read your hunt!

Wow your wolves are beautiful. our Wis. wolves are sure not the same breed. Much smaller and usually ugly with very small ruffs.Ive trapped quite a few and being a taxidermist have mounted several and not one of them would I have put on display.Yours now have me drooling over those beauties.

To make it spicy, this farmer said he creased the head of the critter a few months ago with a long shot and it is now very skittish. This morning I sat out waiting for him but it was raining so hard nothing showed except way off over the fields.

Thanks guys for voting on the HOM.
Just thought I'd share the skull of the ghost himself.
Makes you wonder how much stuff those teeth have been in.
IMG_20140316_203524.jpg

Back