Looking for Places to hunt hogs in Georgia?

Rudi

So here is my dilemma, I am a recent college Graduate who has a buddy who lives in Atlanta... I am thinking about going down to see him in March. Last time I went down we went on a guided hog hunt in Macon, it was fun but, my god it got expensive fast...$600 bucks for 2 hogs and the tip for our guide... My question for you guys, is do you know any guide services that are going to be cheaper... or better yet do you know of any public land that two Yanks could roam around for a few days chasing some "WILD" hogs.

Our guided hunt was great but it was a guaranteed kill, "I figured they just had but loads of hogs on the property" when in fact it was a fenced
blush.gif
in 100 acre property that had a one way trap door to keep the hogs on the property... I am not sure that I want to hunt that way again, It was too expensive, and I would rather hunt in a more sporting manner...Would appreciate your guys thoughts comments and wisdom!

Oaky Woods WMA , Beaver dam, Tuckahoe(BIG HOG), Ocmulgee Seem to be the best public places I could find after hitting the Interwebs...

Oaky Woods WMA , Beaver dam, Tuckahoe(BIG HOG), Ocmulgee Seem to be the best public places I could find after hitting the Interwebs...

i think some go to Ft. Stewart,, and look into Bond swamp ,,bond swamp might have a season ??
maybe look into a lease ,might be cheaper in the long run

Thanks I definitely will look at it. Yeah I would buy a lease in a heart beat if I lived a little closer.... I am slightly worried about the public land hog hunting, it looks GA has some fire arms restrictions based on season.I am not real anxious to chase a hog with a .22 mag....
Plus no night hunting
frown.gif
on public grounds

You say 'too expensive' at $600 for two of you. I have some questions about that.

How long did the hunt take in hours/time?
Was it just one 'guide'?
Did they 'guide' you to the hogs?
Did they provide you with any equipment at all(Ammo, rifles, gear)?
Did they 'butcher' the hogs for you and provide you with the meat? Or at least offer the service as part of your fee and you declined?

You seem disappointed that it was a 'guaranteed kill', which makes sense to me in a way. Shooting ducks in a barrel is only so much fun after a while. You also seem to imply that 'hunting' with the prospect of getting a guaranteed kill is 'too expensive' and that perhaps not getting a kill would somehow make the hunt cheaper?

What would be a fair price per person to hunt hogs for you?

Last edited:
It was $600 dollars a person... I think the basic hunt was 350$ per person, but by the time you tip the guide, and pay for hog processing... Ect... it came out to 600$ I think our hunt lasted 5 hours... Our guide just dropped us off at a stand, after 3 hours seeing one hog which my buddy shot, they moved us to another stand where we waited the other two hours... (all the while the other guys who happened to be hunting that day, were shooting, alot... I think we counted 18 or 20 shots between 3 guys, They only killed 3 hogs...) Well they weren't really guides, in the big game name of sense, they dropped us at our location. We used all of our own equipment, Rifles' ammo' knives...Ect... They offered to gut our hogs for 50 or 75$ a piece (it may have been a little more, I know a full butchering was like 150$) Can't remember, So I cleaned all of our hogs... Then we went to donate one, and it was an additional 50$ fee to donate it.

Hunting with a Guarantee isn't hunting, its shooting, that being said, we only had one day to hunt, so we paid the extra to have a guaranteed hunt... Neither me nor my buddy had ever seen a hog before and after forking out the money to get down there, booking the hunt... We are both college students so money was tight, and we at least wanted to justify the expense with some bacon...
thumbup1.gif

The price I paid was fair, I had never seen a wild hog before that day, it showed me the ropes sorta... I just don't want to do another guaranteed hunt, I am a recent graduate who can't throw down 1,200$ for a two days of hunting..I am glad I did it once, but Part of hunting is the unknown...

To be clear I did enjoy my hunt with the guide. If money wasn't an issue I'd go back or go do one of those Heli hunts, or Thermal hunts... I just want to hunt a cheaper way... Which is why I was asking for Public land to hunt, all I need is a hunting license and the gas to get down there...

Idk... I mean I paid 600$... I enjoyed the hunt, But if I used a guide againI'd like to see 250$ a day so I could hunt unguided or semi guided for 2 days... Maybe get a night hunt in...I'd be willing to pay another 100$ or 150$ for the night hunt, or semi guided with out having to worry about how big the pig i shoot is... The place we hunted tacked on a 150$ fee if the pig was bigger than 210#... I mean these were wild hogs... not pure or 75% or what ever they consider pure in the states Russian boars... Not to mention having never seeing a wild pig before I had no idea how to judge one on the ground... And with no guide in the stand... My trip could have cost $750...

My buddy and I just want to spend a weekend hunting... On public lands, Trying to shoot an invasive animal... And maybe get some camping in... A cheap weekend in the woods.... Thats why I posted this thread, I wanted to find some good places to try.

I am sorry If I offended you SpeedQuest, That wasn't my intent, I am also not trying to screw anyone out of a fair wage for a service provided... Our guide was great I was willing to pay $350 a person.... I paid $600 dollars, and didn't complain to our guide...In fact I left my 20% tip off of the 600$... Meaning I left 120$ tip... I just don't want to spend that much this time.. I'd also like to get a few days of hunting in, so I can get a better feel for wild hogs and how to hunt them.

Last edited:
Back