Southern MN

What LongShotMisery said. Every time it snows the pickup crews are out in full force rattling rifle shells out the window driving down the road at 110 mile an hour trying to keep it in the section calling everyone they know with a truck and a rifle to come help them kill it. So good luck calling, but that doesn't mean give up. Try night hunting, the pickup crews aren't out as much.

A guy can still get out and kill them in these areas where the road warriors are, you just have to be creative in your approach. I only hunt them at night and with a caller and maybe a decoy at times depending. Last winter we didnt have the snow so it was tough and we(my partner) still managed to kill 13. All at night with a caller or hand calls. In SEMN, my best luck has been around cattle. Thick stuff near cattle has been key for us.
Half the battle is usally trying to get into position without making a ton of noise. Snow can be loud once it crusts over and you have to be creative about hwo you get into the woods, fencerows or swamps.
We hunt all over SE MN from Rochester to Lanesboro.
Good luck guys... Tuesdays moon is looking good form here...lol

Originally Posted By: wargeA friend of mine says every time that a cop, fire truck or ambulance leaves town, he says the coyotes go nuts.

Famous grouse, youd be proud, I got one with a shotgun at 20 yards this weekend. In cover of course.

Nice. Nothing wrong with shotgunning them. In fact, IMO if you can get a MN yote to come within shotgun range, you can be sure you did a lot of things right or you'd have never even seen him, much less got him at 20 yards.

Grouse

We made on set on Tuesday night and was one of the coolest hunts ive ever had. At 18 minutes on the caller we see a bunch of heads. Between 5-7. They were skirting us at about 80 yrds with dark grass behind them. 2 of them eventually came in hard on the dcoy(quiver critter) and i got one of them on first shot. They all bolt and then we see one at about 225yrds in the open field. Shot twice and dropped him at a full run at 261yrds. Pretty awesome hunt and my longest kill, by far...Pretty cool. Got a call last night from a farmer with 300 acres that wants us to come out and give it a try. going to check out his farm tomorrow for the January moon...

Anyone planning on getting out this week? We will be out hitting it hard. Was out scouting a bit the last 10 days and have seen decent sign. Ive talked to a couple of my farmers and they are starting to see them more regularly.
On a side note... Was driving out by Salem Corners last weekend driving by one of our farms and see a truck parked on the road with a guy standing in the road with a rifle. I was in wifes ride with the kids but had to go check it out. I drive down the road, he sees me coming and takes off. He knew he shouldn't of been there from the way he took off. He doesn't know how close he was to getting his windshield shot out. This landowner is part crazy and has taken out more than one windshield. Come to find out, he was watching from his barn and had the crosshiars on the windshield, and he WIll pull the trigger. So if by chance the guy driving the maroon dodge with paint to match topper and plate starting in 856, is on here. Be careful where your poaching sucka...Landowner knows who you are and will capitalize if he sees you again...

Originally Posted By: SEMNAnyone planning on getting out this week? We will be out hitting it hard. Was out scouting a bit the last 10 days and have seen decent sign. Ive talked to a couple of my farmers and they are starting to see them more regularly.
On a side note... Was driving out by Salem Corners last weekend driving by one of our farms and see a truck parked on the road with a guy standing in the road with a rifle. I was in wifes ride with the kids but had to go check it out. I drive down the road, he sees me coming and takes off. He knew he shouldn't of been there from the way he took off. He doesn't know how close he was to getting his windshield shot out. This landowner is part crazy and has taken out more than one windshield. Come to find out, he was watching from his barn and had the crosshiars on the windshield, and he WIll pull the trigger. So if by chance the guy driving the maroon dodge with paint to match topper and plate starting in 856, is on here. Be careful where your poaching sucka...Landowner knows who you are and will capitalize if he sees you again...

Sounds like the landowner has some issues. If someone were shooting at me/my vehicle while on the road, I'd shoot back. (I drive a Chevy)

He definitely has issues, but has some great land as well and we get along so...
We were going to go out last night but that darn wind picked up and the clouds rolled in. Sounds like tonight should be good so we're going to give it a go. I think we are going to hit some farms down around Chatfield/Fountain area that i havent hit yet this year. Hope fully be posting pics tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: SEMNHe definitely has issues, but has some great land as well and we get along so...
We were going to go out last night but that darn wind picked up and the clouds rolled in. Sounds like tonight should be good so we're going to give it a go. I think we are going to hit some farms down around Chatfield/Fountain area that i havent hit yet this year. Hope fully be posting pics tomorrow.

Chatfield/Fountain area sucks, just as well stay home.
tt2.gif

Back