Cat trappin'

I am still a complete greenhorn with trapping yotes and cats. This is my 2nd season now, and my first season trying to handle the pelts for auction. I'm 30+ yotes and 3 bobcats in, and I still haven't a fuzzy idea what I'm doing.

I don't quite understand what the OP was ranting about...

Do you guys mean to say you're not checking your traps everyday? Do the states you trap in not require that?

I have all of mine set to where I can ride my dirt bike in to check them in a timely fashion and do my best to get to them on a daily basis.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: WyYoteKillerWell I worked hard to learn my lessons amd I share my experience...its all the I"M A CAT TRAPPER, tell me how I get tired of.
I share, I just hate these guys that hear that cats go for $2000 a piece that think they can be trappers with a dozen trap and go for it

Its happening all over Montana and Wyoming, a lot of those types make us look bad. I understand your frustration on this subject, I remember trapping cats in Wyoming when the prices were pretty low, and nobody hardly trapped, yotes were only bringing about 15 bucks cats were about 75 or 100. Now there are trappers everywhere. My Old man started trapping cats in Cody, WY back in the 70's when the fur prices were good and he still talks about all the trappers there were back then. I am sure the prices will fall out eventually and so will the fly by night trappers. Looks like you have been playing in the snow to much, that is what the forums are about, asking question.

Wyoming is a 3 day check Montana doesn't have a check time. I think Idaho is 3 days I think Nevada is like a 4 day check I think. Around here our cats take forever to come back through so if you check sets everyday your gonna go broke.

New Mexico regs say the traps have to be checked on a daily basis. Luckily I live in the middle of no where so I trap pretty close to my house and my dirt bike gets great mileage.

It seems if I have a yote in a trap for more than a day I often find a foot or leg left. You guys don't get this occurring a lot with checking the traps every 3 days?

3 day check, I like it best, 1 day check in IA sucks, 1 out of 3 days or more they don't move. If you have a problem like that it isn't the amount of time. it is a toe catch or something I never had happen. Use 3lbs pan tension, wire screen pan covers, swivels on your chain, and you should have no problems.

I would imagine that you could put a 3# weight on a rope and lower it on a pan, if it goes off.. You got it, if not, get the files out.

I have been interested in learning to trap, this state is a bit of a pain, and I live in the city. But I think it would be a good skill to learn, and like most things it takes practice, patience, and research.. I appreciate those that are willing to share knowledge and experience, but have no time for those that want to be negative about it. Share, don't share, I will keep looking, learning, and practicing.
Most experienced people can share everything you know, and it won't make a difference, if you don't have some time in the field trying and learning. If you don't know how to look at the land and read the channels, if you don't know anything about it, the knowledge that you are trying to share won't make sense and it's just going to go over their heads.

I have a pair of laminated traps that i set out near my campsite at night when I am out calling for a weekend. In the morning I check them, I have been lucky once, but i don't know enough to ask an intelligent question yet (it must have been the dumbest coyote in the country), and wouldn't understand what you are saying anyways. So for now I will watch, listen, and hope that the light will click and make more sense as i read what those are willing to share. I have been watching a pile of youtube video's and learning a lot.. Those Canadians love to tape everything.

Thank you, to those willing or interested in sharing.

Last edited:
You can buy a guage at kaatz brothers. Simple to use. Set the trap. Place in the middle of the pan and push down. When the trap fires, whatever it reads for pressure is the weight. Its inexpensive.

Originally Posted By: RuggedExposureHow do you measure pan tension?

I have a meat scale and I train my thumb. It's easy to do just use your thumb and push down on scale to about 3 lbs and hold it there.

Canine "chewing thier leg off" just doesnt happen, at leastn not with any reasonable check time. IF that is happening I would be looking at something big and hungry taking your catches. In 30 years of trapping Ive never seen a canine chew or twist out of a trap. Pull out and run away lots of times never the afore mentioned.

I always check the feet on females and kittens. Anything broke or froze and it comes with me. If the foots good it gets a free pass. Frozen feet are very common here in Dec/Jan if the temps drop. I use offsets to reduce the occurance but it still happens.

Originally Posted By: phutch30Canine "chewing thier leg off" just doesnt happen, at leastn not with any reasonable check time. IF that is happening I would be looking at something big and hungry taking your catches. In 30 years of trapping Ive never seen a canine chew or twist out of a trap. Pull out and run away lots of times never the afore mentioned.

I always check the feet on females and kittens. Anything broke or froze and it comes with me. If the foots good it gets a free pass. Frozen feet are very common here in Dec/Jan if the temps drop. I use offsets to reduce the occurance but it still happens.

I've had it happen twice this season, once the coyote yanked at the trap for a 36 hour period or so and left a foot behind. The other was an entire leg of a small adult, from the shoulder down. Maybe it's a southern thing?

Last edited:
Frankly I dont see the foot either in 36 hrs unless some ones using a #6 bear trap. Those coyotes had to have help getting removed.

Back