squirrel dog how?

KillerBear

Alright I'm trying to train a dog to hunt squirrels and he's goin great its just its been 4 weeks I'm trying to catch a squirrel to help train em. so how do I catch a squirrel in a live trap may be dumb but we aint got many squirrels but I know we have some maybe???????

no my dog that points deer is being trained with some help from a friend he's doing well!!! Then origanly I was trying to train a runt masstiff in (training odd dog thread) he working rabbits a little but we don't have many rabbits so Im training him to tree squirrels only problem is I can't catch one I've caught possums raccoons and skunks so how do I get a squirrel?????

If you don't have many squirrels or rabbits in your area, why are trying to train your dog to hunt them? Maybe you should train this one to point squirrels.

Squirrel hunting, for a dog, is purely genetic. I have tried to "train" s squirrel dog several times, let me tell ya, you will be nothing but disappointed. If you seriously want a squirrel dog, get one that is breed to do so. You can't train a dog to tree like you train a dog to point. They either will or they won't. (And just as a pointer, showing a true tree dog a lot of caged game will ruin it quick!)

Quote:so how do I catch a squirrel in a live trap may be dumb but we aint got many squirrels but I know we have some maybe???????....Killerbear,,,I have to ask,,Where do you come up with all this 'off the wall' stuff??? As asked previously,,,If you don't have a lot of Squirrels, why train a dog to find/catch them...I'm beginning to think you are just a pot stirrer'...But then, I'm no virgin to being wrong...
w00t.gif

For one I'm not a trouble maker and don't want to seem that way. Ive been asking a lot of questions on here specifically hound questions. Ive not got lots of money so this is my way of getting food I'm just trying to try to improve my chances of dinner with dogs. The reason I said I don't have many squirrels is because I don't ,I would like to train my dog at my home then I will take him to a place I've hunted many times and has many squirrels. Its just I don't want to drive a hour an half to go train him. Im not trying to stir trouble Im just asking the wrong form of questions I guess In truth Im very eager to learn more from those who have more experience!!

Killer Bear, I thought that was a nice response. I smile when you write. I hear the excitement in your words. While I have a bachelors from a prestigious school, I sure know my share of guys with a fancy education that are just nasty people.

What is interesting, on most boards, is that a common interest binds us together. We share experiences and ideas and we all learn. Some of my best days afield have been over the pointers that I trained. There is a powerful bond between a hunter and his canine hunting partner. If you enjoy dogs, and hunting - you're my kind of "people". I would rather have a simple man share a day in the field with me than have to sit next to an anti-hunting, anti-liberties, over educated man that looks down at me because of my traditional ways of life.

Hat tip.

Last edited:
Back