7mm Rem Mag or .270WSM?

I know one pro/con I've seen - the 270 doesn't have the # of high quality bullets available for longer range shooting as the 7mm does. I believe that that is slowly changing for the better [beeep].

I personally do not like belted cases. I load for 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag and the brass is a pain to deal with. The belt is cosmetics only.
With the addition of the high bc berger bullets, I would go with a 270 wsm. No experience with the 270 wsm, but I have a lot with the 300 wsm. Cases stretch so little, they very rarely need trimming. I like shorter actions.
I drool over the kimber montana in 270 wsm. 7WSM wouldn't be bad either.

The .270 WSM wishes it could be a 7 Rem Mag....

I've had buddies with a soft spot for the .277 bore but .270 WSMs, and try to run them like a Seven .... they always end up in the used gun rack... replaced by the Rem. Mag.

The new 150 LRAB from Nosler closed that gap a lot.... but that's just one bullet, and we've yet to see the BC numbers or the terminal performance bear solid fruit....

Pass the 162 Amax at 3k please...

How is 'the brass a pain to deal with'?.... neck size, or PFL Resize.... it's only a pain in the azz.... if you're doing it wrong.... but then, most stuff is (and most guys do).

Pro's of the 7 RM are if you are buying ammo off the shelf, its better available than the WSM. If you are reloading, 7mm bullet selection is huge. But you probably need to buy both, there is still room in the safe!

7 Mag with a 162 at 3100 is nothing to sneeze at, Retumbo and a FEd 215 will get you there, even more with a 26" barrel!

I shoot the 162 SST at 3130 fps, tiny groups. Took less than 30 rounds to find the accuracy node.

Just kinda looking at a mule deer gun. Mainly, maybe an elk as well. Figured either would do the job! I guess they both have there goods and bads and figured the 7 would get more votes. I have a Sako A7 Varmint in .22-250 and I'm looking at either a Tecomate A7 in the .270 or a Big Game A7 in a 7MM.

Remmington 700 7mm Rem Mag is my go-to deer/hog rifle. Pair it with remmington 150gr. Cor-Lokts and you have a deadly 1" shooting gun. All my kills have been instant drops.

i dont own either. i own a 270 winchester (not wsm), and a 300 wsm. if i had to choose between the 7mm mag and 270 wsm, i would go with the 7mm mag. bullet selection, factory ammo selection, used brass availability, and performance are all in the 7mm's favor.
while i like my 300 wsm, it is no 300 win mag likewise, the 270 wsm is no 7mm mag!

There are no real pros over the 270 and the 270wsm. Your looking at a few hundred fps more. With the cons of shorter barrel life. Feeding problems. Ammo harder to find. Sorry just don't see a 200 dp's more killing anything deader.

I own both. You'll never know the difference on deer or elk and they won't either.

For real LR shooting, the 7mm is better. Not my opinion, but a fact.

I'd buy a 7WSM over a 270WSM.........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI own both. You'll never know the difference on deer or elk and they won't either.

Agree on all accounts...Cept I like the SAUM better...no real reason.

I've been shooting the 7mm Rem Mag since I moved to Alaska in 1974. No experience with the 270 WSM.

The rifle has killed Sitka Blacktails, Eastern Whitetails, Mountain Goats,Caribou and Moose. All with great authority. No runners. When I load for it I use 160 grain Sierra SBT. My rifle was very accurate out of the box. The 7mm Rem Mag is easily my favorite big game cartridge. If I ever get an antelope tag here in Oregon the 7mm will be my choice for the hunt.

Only drawback is the recoil but that's only on the bench. I've never felt recoil when shooting game.

Originally Posted By: pk1Only drawback is the recoil but that's only on the bench. I've never felt recoil when shooting game.

I plan a 7 SAUM (or 6.5 saum) in the near future. I will be using a removable break system. Use that on the bench, remove it for the field.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

++++1 on the 7WSM. I own one with a 9 twist 27" mcgowen barrel flinging 180 gr bergers at 3100 fps at 1/2 moa all day. Plus I'm in my 6th reload with the cheap winchester brass!!

Rem mag will do the same with a 27" barrel.

Then again im not much a fan of short actions or the feeding problems that come along and are associated with them.

Id do the 7 RM over the 270 WSM anyday.

ive had both and the 270 was sold shortly after. Ive used 7 RM to kill deer and elk out to 1100 yards.

with that said, im in the middle of a 7-300 win mag build with a 28" bbl
smile.gif

162 amax or 168 LRAB at 3300 will do a good ways out there.

I have a "boat paddle" Ruger in 7 Mag that a friend of mine won't even shoot anymore. It does make one feel as though you wandered away from a train wreck. Then again, I have a Sako that is quite pleasant in the recoil department and very accurate...a lot has to do with stock design. I like the durability of the Ruger in adverse conditions, but not the wallop.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pk1Only drawback is the recoil but that's only on the bench. I've never felt recoil when shooting game.

I plan a 7 SAUM (or 6.5 saum) in the near future. I will be using a removable break system. Use that on the bench, remove it for the field.

Back