T3 22 250 thinking about rebarreling it.

varmit_master

I have a new t3 lite 22 250 less than 40 rds down it. But I don't like the 1@14. I seen that ruger has a 22 250 with a 1@10 twist. I am wanting one but I would have to put a timney trigger. So my question buying a new rifle and trigger. Could I get the barrel replace on my tikka cheaper than buying a new rifle and trigger. I am wanting a 26 inch barrel not bull barrel a sporter 1@9 twist in a 22 250 AI I am wanting to shoot 65 gr sierra gameking or 70 to 75 gr but mostly 60 gr to 65 gr for deer. Could I go down to a 55 . Or should I goto a 1@8. What would a new barrel cost more than a rifle and trigger Ty for your help. I have never rebar rel a rifle.

For a deer bullet, Nosler's Bonded Solid Base 64 gr is supposed to be one of the best there is, and will stabilize in a 14 twist.

If you like the Tikka they also make a .223 with an 8 twist. If you have to have a .22-250 I believe many .223's can be converted with a reamer.

Last edited:
Ty I have a AR bull barrel 1@8 223 and a TC venture 22 250 1@12. I just always wanted a 22 250 AI . And thought I may get my Tikka rebarrel . I like the 65 gr gameking on deer. And wanted a 22 250 to shoot that bullet. I don't like the 1@14 twist on the tikka.

I talked to the gunsmith tonight he said the barrel would run 300 to 330 his cost 75 to 100 putting it on. Does that sound about right. Will I have to buy a new stock or can I use the one I have. I don't want a Bb. I want a 26 inch barrel but in a sporter. I think a 1@9 will do my main 2 bullets will be 60 gr HP, BT and 65 gr gameking. I may go up to a 70 gr but that would be the heaviest . Would the 1@9 handle 70 gr? Thank ya for all the help I have never rebarrel a gun before. Ty

The 1-9 twist will handle the 70 grain bullets just fine and probably up to 75 grain. If you think you might shoot the 80 grain then you would need the 1-8 twist.You might be able to find a 1-8 twist in stock as that is a very common barrel but the others you would most likely have to order. If your thinking about doing this you might as well order the barrel now as most custom barrel makers are at least 6-8 months wait for barrels.

Last edited:
Great caliber choice. 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 will do just fine with your choice of bullets. Lean toward the 1 in 8 if you might wish to shoot heavier bullets. 1 in 8 will shoot 80 gr SMK's real well. personally I like a Varmint weight barrel and and heavier. Cheers, Ottway

I wanted it for a calling rifle. I had a rem 700 ss fluted 26 inch 22 250. I love it but carrying it all day got old. I am getting old. That's why I didn't want a bull barrel. I just wanted a 26 inch sporter barrel I could use my stock. And I do want a AI like the action on the tikka and clip. I may go with a 1@9 I think the heaviest I would go would be a 70 gr or 75 at the most. Mostly 60 gr nosler bt or 65 gr gameking. Who makes a good barrel that won't cost a arm and a leg? How much do ya think one will cost? Anyway to get the barrel matte finish to match my action? Thank ya.

Back