I want to get varmint rifle in either 22/250 or 243 caliber..

iowa roger

Being a senior citizen (77) I am wondering if I can physically handle one of these weapons now.
Thirty years ago I was doing hunting and was considered a good marksman. That was then though.
As the saying goes better to be a has been than a never was.
I am wondering if there is some place I could go and try to do a bit of shooting with these caliber guns and see if I can still handle one. I don't quite know where to start.
Not looking for freebie, I want to do this when the warm weather gets here. I wonder if the snow and cold weather has affected my thought process ?
My guns years ago were 12 gauge shotguns and a 22 Hornet model 43 Winchester with a cheap Weaver G4 sight on it. I could hit about anything that I shot at with it.
I gave my last guns away many years ago.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

You can definitely handle a .204, very little recoil, and it will most certainly kill varmints w/o any trouble.
thumbup1.gif

You might want to consider a .223 as well just for availability of ammo and also light recoil but the .204 is definitely faster/flatter shooting.

If you weren't so far away I'd let you try my stuff. I'm sure someone local can probably let you try some of the different calibers. Maybe one of the other Iowa boys closer to you can chime in.

Trevor

I would consider the 223 or 22-250, I might be just as concerned with the weight of the rifle as I am the recoil, I know for me dragging around a HB varminter isn't as easy as it once was.

Would agree with IAyotHNTr. I have a Tactical 20 which is a
little sister to the .204 (about 100fps slower, but when you're
talking 4000fps+,well..). It's fun to see the target hit
through the scope. There is just very little recoil.

Also have a .22-250 and .243. There is more kick from each than
the .22 Hornet, but not much more with the .22-250.

One wouldn't want to carry any of my rifles any long distance,
for they are all varmint barreled.

I do have a couple places to shoot, but it's still quite a
jaunt from Britt to Walker. Let me know if interested.

Danno, I looked on the map, Walker is about 3 hours from Britt.
I will keep you in mind.

Yes, the weight of a varmint rifle is a concern, there are some nice ones in the 7 pound or so range.
Some of the D
Savages I looked at weigh a ton. Been thinking maybe Ruger or along that line.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a couple of gun club members that are your age and they still hunt and shoot all the time. You still got it buddy, just need to dig it back out. Any of the above calibers will serve you well, just stay on the light side ( rifle weight), even the young'ens don't want to pack around the heavy weights. Caliber, 223, 204, 22-250, 243 will all serve you well. Good luck on your comeback, you can do it!!!

i have a ruger .243 its the best all round rifle kills yotes with 58 grain horady and deer with a 100 grain horady!!! i love my rifle!!!!

Most Varmint rifles ARE heavy. That's because most have Bull Barrels. Some folks often associate Varmint hunting as Predator hunting. I did the same when I first started out. I Bought a savage 12 FV in .204 Ruger. 12 lbs or so. Now I use mostly predator weight rifles. The type of hunting that you decide to do will dictate the weight of the rifle. Good luck in your choices.

Pick up a 223 with 1:8 or 1:9 twist and you can shoot heavier bullets without the recoil of the 243. It will handle all your varmint needs. If you think you might want to hunt deer in the future the 243 is a good dual purpose caliber and isn't bad recoil.
Tim

Originally Posted By: iowa rogerYes, the weight of a varmint rifle is a concern, there are some nice ones in the 7 pound or so range.
Some of the D
Savages I looked at weigh a ton. Been thinking maybe Ruger or along that line.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a Remington Model 7 Predator in 223 that is a tack driver, and doesn't weigh much. You could also get a Model 7 in 223 with the 20 inch barrel that weighs even less, and still have a good shooter. As far as a varmint rifle goes, I shoot the 223, 22-250, and a 243. I find myself using a 223 over 90% of the time. It's all you need.

Originally Posted By: JLJ223I would consider the 223 or 22-250, I might be just as concerned with the weight of the rifle as I am the recoil, I know for me dragging around a HB varminter isn't as easy as it once was.

I switched from the heavy .243 WSSM Winchester Coyote Light that was anything but light to a way lighter Steyr Mannlicher SL .222. I'm amazed at how much easier this is to handle and shoot at night, also using the truck as a rest and shooting at a five inch rock at about 300 yards away on the side of a hill, I was curious to see how close a few shots would be. I was amazed when I hit it three times in a row. My confidence in this rifle has grown very quickly as I shoot it, and it's super easy to carry and handle.

I bought 10 boxes of the Hornady Superformance 35gr ammo that they claim speeds of 3800-3900 fps, they have a very low drop out to 300yds. The recoil is very very light.

you still got it just dig it back out and see if you can find a local gunshop near by and try some rifles on for size and feel i have dislocated my left shoulder many times so i find it hard to shoulder a heavy rifle standing but when predator hunting i use a bipod and it works out well i prefer short barrels also so that helps some just getting started the ruger american or savage axis is hard to beat out the door price and accuracy wise

I would take a look at the Tikka t3 lite. It is available in all the good varmint/predator calibers and has an acceptable trigger. If you do not handload , consider getting a 223. The ammo is available in a wide variety and it is still affordable. Anyone can handle the slight recoil of a 223. If you plan to deer hunt with this rifle I would buy a 243. I have a t3 in 243 and it shoots 100 and 58 grain bullets very well and its not even broken yet.There are a lot of choices in bolt action 223 rifles out there today. Other things to consider are, wood stock or synthetic, removable magazine or non, stainless steel or chrome moly. Just my 2 cents ,hope this helps. Good luck.

A lot depends on what Your wanting to use the Rifle for?Are You wanting to do a lot of Target Practicing/Paper Shooting or do You plan on a Combo of Target and Predator/Coyote Hunting?

The Tikka t3 lite is mentioned a lot for an easy light carrying Rifle,the CZ Model 527 "American" is another light carrying Rifle that is affordable and great shooting.I also saw that Browning has several new lighter Camo Predator Rifles and they brought back the .204 Caliber.

I would consider You look Into the .223 Rifles,the .204 Caliber and even the .17 Hornet and .17 Remington all center-fire Calibers!

Last edited:
Back