The stand that almost wasn't

HaleYes

I've been feeling like poo the past week. Sinus crap, heads all plugged up, headache.....yada, yada, yada. Dad sent me a text yesterday afternoon wanting to know if I wanted to go call. I didn't reply, trying to make up my mind, my phone rings. It was a farmer down the road that I had asked permission to hunt on earlier. He says that he lost a calf last night to some coyotes and that he's got another place for me to hunt. So, off we go! I'm feeling better all of a sudden!

We get to his place and he tells us where everything is and where he suggests we go. We take a quick survey and agree with him and we head to to make the stand. We park at the gate and climb over. Just a short walk later we're there. I get the Foxpro out and put the critter together and hand them over to Bubba. He sets them up about 25yrds out and sets down next to me. I notice the critter is spinning a little slower than normal. I hit the Foxpro and the cottentail squeals for about 10 seconds and dies. No problem, I've got spare batteries in the bag. We swap them out and try it again......it squeals about 10 seconds and dies! I'm out of batteries now! So, dad walks back to the truck to see if he has any batteries. Meanwhile, I'm taking the batteries out of a couple of flashlights that are in our bag to try. They're dead too. Dad comes back with nothing that will work! We're done right? I'm contemplating going up the road to the farmer and asking for batteries at this point! I start to pack up and start to hang my head. Then it hit me to try the batteries that are in the critter, in the Foxpro. It seemed to work! So we set up without a decoy and give it a whirl.........and then it wouldn't work! When I had taken it back out in front of us I had inadvertently flipped the external speaker switch. Once I figured that out, we're back in business! That whole ordeal went on for about 20 minutes.

So, we're calling for around 10 min mark and here she comes. Wind is in the dogs favor. She's awful interested but can't seem to make up her mind to come in closer than about 300 yards. I think if the decoy would have been there, she would have been more confident. She starts to circle and then stops and sets down and stays there for a long time. She turns her head and I did a 90° turn and set up on her. I zoomed in to 9x on my scope and at this point I'm pretty sure that she's not getting any closer. So, I squeeze off a 55gr V-Max in her direction. She dropped like a rock! Furthest shot I've ever taken by far. She was 300 yards. I was pretty stoked! Bubba lets out a big WOO HOO! and we have a quick celebration before going to retrieve the dog. We were all happy, farmer was happy and it ended up being a good hunt after all. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fellas. This was a pretty memorable hunt. Bubba has been wanting a pelt to hang in his room. I skinned this one out and dropped it off at the tanner today. First time I've skinned one. I didn't watch enough youtube videos or TV shows I guess. It was a lot harder than they make it look! Practice makes perfect I suppose......

Thanks again.

Way to hang with it. I've had hunts like that where things just are NOT going right. I swear some days I hear circus music que up as I start my truck. Congrats.

Back