204 ruger vs 22-250

Originally Posted By: wdenikeOriginally Posted By: 6724i watch the hit with my 22-250, and my 243, and my 308, and my 338. light recoil is great, but nothing 22 caliber and under has enough recoil to matter.

Sir,

That is because you are more than likely a shooter. It takes discipline but that is the way it is suppose to be. Take three quarters of the people who think that they are shooters to the range. Set them on the bench. Than load their gun for them, and periodically hand it to them empty, with out them knowing. It will become clear as mud why they don't see their hits.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Take care, Willie

Sure glad it's Winter time and I've got my boots on.
rolleyes.gif

I prefer the 204 over the 22-250. And as was mentioned I would consult a ballistics chart before making a decision.

I have three 22-250 rifles and three .204 Ruger rifles. I am a real fan of the .204 Ruger with 35 grain Berger bullets. For a light weight calling rifle a CZ 527 in .204 is a great rifle. I also prefer a .204 for p-dogs out to 300 yards or so. Still, if I could only have one caliber, it would be a 22-250. FWIW, I have owned Cooper, custom builds, Kimber, Dakota rifles, etc. Last fall I bought a Savage 22-250 model 16 Weather Warrior and it shoots way under one MOA with a variety of bullets. The only modification I made was to install the spring for a varmint accutrigger.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARAFA rifles I don't think the Axis comes with an accutrigger? The one I've been around didn't and it was terrible! You don't have to spend a mint on a rifle but definitely get one with a decent trigger.

They do now - Savage just announced an Axis with the accutrigger.

Quote k22 : Sure glad it's Winter time and I've got my boots on. rolleyes

Me tooo!!! They are probably instrumental in seeing your hits.
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
thumbup.gif

Take care, Willie

Originally Posted By: wdenikeOriginally Posted By: 6724i watch the hit with my 22-250, and my 243, and my 308, and my 338. light recoil is great, but nothing 22 caliber and under has enough recoil to matter.

Sir,

That is because you are more than likely a shooter. It takes discipline but that is the way it is suppose to be. Take three quarters of the people who think that they are shooters to the range. Set them on the bench. Than load their gun for them, and periodically hand it to them empty, with out them knowing. It will become clear as mud why they don't see their hits.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Take care, Willie

I don't get it? I thought we were talking about varmint calibers? What does a bench have to do with that? I would think most guys who hunt would be a bit disturbed by someone handing them a rifle on a bench, because they are made for shooting stuff..
We need to decide if we are talking about hunting in the field, or sitting on a bench, 2 very different situations. I am at home in the field, but a range would feel very foreign to me, especially if I had to have it handed to me.. A tad perplexed.
Oh, and the .204 will prevail in either situation.

I do all my varmint hunting from a bench. I do not hunt predators from a bench.

As to what the other fella was eluding to, most folks have little idea how to properly drive a rifle to maintain sight picture. This is more pronounced and visible from a bench. Especially when one anticipate the recoil too early, on an empty chamber…
grin.gif

Just get the 22-250, and you will not regret the decision. The 250 just flat out works up here in NoDak for yotes. Buy the best gun you can afford, and the gun will last the rest of your life.

I have both, I shoot the 40 grain V-max out of my 204 and a 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip out of my 22-250. As far as ballistics out to 300 they are almost identical. Both have almost same F.P.S. At the muzzle (3850). I have shot 3 coyotes with my 204 as far as 200 yards and all 3 have dropped in their tracks with very minimal fur damage. My last one was at 159 yds. And had dime size entrance with bullet lodged against opposite side hide with no exit. Perfect bullet performance in my opinion.

I have heard that the bullets from .204 Rugers are known to bounce off coyotes ......... but I have not experienced that yet!

I shoot coyotes with just about everything.

More have fallen to .243 and .22-250 in my experience than all the others combined. This is not because they are magical calibers .......... rather, they are the two cartridges I have had with me when seeing targets of opportunity!

I run .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .243, 6mm Rem, .25-06, 270 and several more larger ........ I have a .220 Swift barrel as well as a .22-243 Ackley (40 degree) to mount up as well.

I don't see a zero sum game with any of these calibers and many more not listed there in! ........ Rather, I see different shades of gray between them.

My .204 is one I built on a Savage SA and added the Savage target accutrigger along with the target sear. It's a varmint barrel and with the 32 gr. V-max factory load, it prints three @ 100 yds into sub .3"

The same bullet in a neck sized case in a handload runs at .220" for three at the same range.

That bullet hits a coyote in the neck at 275 yds fast enough and with light enough recoil that I see it's feet point skyward before I lost the scope picture.

Now the bullet did not bounce off nor did it exit.

I like the cartrige so well ....... (204) that I bought a sporter weight barrel for the same Savage action ....... to see if I could make more of a walking rifle out of it and not lose much accuracy.

I have more than one Savage SA so I could have one of each ....... bull and sporter weight tube mounted at once!

I don't think a 32 gr. .204" V-max will bounce off coyotes because it originated from a sporter barrel either .........

If I find it does ......... I will surely report back here ........ post haste!

Best regards

Three 44s

Only thing I have ever seen a bullet bounce off of was a .17 HMR bouncing off a turkey at 200 yards. Never seen a centerfire bullet bounce off anything!!!!

Originally Posted By: 6724i watch the hit with my 22-250, and my 243, and my 308, and my 338. .

So Chuck Norris does have a log in name.

And for all of you 22-250 shooters that let recoil take you outta the scope. You either do not know how to shoot or a pansy.

Don't get mad at me...I didn't say it. ^^^^^Chuck did.

Brb getting my boots too!!

Originally Posted By: Three 44sI have heard that the bullets from .204 Rugers are known to bounce off coyotes ......... but I have not experienced that yet!

Who starts these idiotic rumors?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: Three 44sI have heard that the bullets from .204 Rugers are known to bounce off coyotes ......... but I have not experienced that yet!

Who starts these idiotic rumors?
smile.gif

People can't put stuff on the internet if it's not true!

Must've been a Kryptonite 'yote.

Bonjour-1_zps190d8abf.jpg

I'm not going to theorize about what PM's Chuck Norris can and can't see happening through a scope, but I will say that some shooters see a lot more than others when using the same rifle due to better shooter "follow through" technique.

My vote is for the 22-250, I can find good ammo at a reasonable price and still take it deer hunting out here in the desert.

I bought a savage model 10 .223 with a nikon 3-9x prostaff brand new on budsgunshop.com for $510 to the door. Best purchase ever. Most accurate gun I own, it has the accutrigger and shoots better than my more expensive Remmington 700. The .223 is available in my area, has good ammo options,and is pretty fur friendly. Take a look, I was in the same boat last year. No regrets.

Back