204 ruger vs 22-250

NDtrapper97

Looking to buy my first coyote gun. Have been looking up on the 22-250's for awhile now but just learned of the 204 ruger. What are the differences between the two ballistic wise? Pro's and con's? Thanks for helping!

22-250 would be the way to go if you ask me. It will do all the 204 will but the 204 wont do what a 250 can. Plus in nd, you can deer hunt with the 22-250 if you choose. Not sure what the price difference would be on factory ammo if you dont reload.

I know if I had the money. I'd have both
drool.gif
tt1.gif

Up north where your at, if just hunting coyotes, I'd get the 22-250. Much better selection of bullets and plenty of power.

Originally Posted By: NDtrapper97Can I get it done with the savage axis? Or would it pay to buy a better rifle?

It always pays to buy better.

I have both along with a stable full of .223's and the .204 is one of my favorites. The thing I like most about the .204 is the lack of muzzle flip. I LOVE that in a multi-dog situation.

The 22-250 definately hammers 'em, but I've had great luck with my .204's...For the most part, I like them all, but the .204 is my favorite.

Although I love the .204 and it's probably my favorite round, the .22-250 was made for coyotes I believe. You can shoot anywhere from 36-90 grains (depending on twist). It's flat shooting and as Midwest said it can be a dual purpose gun for deer.

The .204 goes up to 45 gr but most factory rifles won't stabilize that large of a bullet. So you are limited to 26-40 gr bullets. I've had great performance on coyotes with the 40 gr bullets, but the .22-250 with a 50-55 gr bullet will probably out perform it.

As far as the rifle and axis will get the job done, however I agree with Tim. It always pays to buy a better rifle. I like savage, but there are several good manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: NDtrapper97Can I get it done with the savage axis? Or would it pay to buy a better rifle?

It always pays to buy better.

^^ This.. I used to always think the nicer guns and scopes were overated and for people who just had too much money. I've recently started investing in better guns, (took me about a year to save for my current setup) and it is worth it. I went the .204 route because of the recoil. Not that the 22-250 would be bad, but I can keep the scope on any target better with the .204 and with the 40 gr bullets it does very well (from my buddies hunting experience, I haven't had a chance to take mine out yet.) I'd say pic the one you know you can get ammo for, as both will do the job, and spend what you can on the rifle and glass.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredator22-250 would be the way to go if you ask me. It will do all the 204 will but the 204 wont do what a 250 can.

I agree 100% I've shot coyotes with both, and as far as I'm concerned, the 22-250 wins hands down.

Looks like I am the odd man out.
I like the .204, fast and flat, no recoil, quieter (in comparison), all the action can be seen through the scope, there is a lot of good to be said about that. It is more fur friendly, if you are in to that too.
If it is about the ballistics of a varmint gun, have a look at a .220 swift.

Quote:What are the differences between the two ballistic wise? Pro's and con's?....You need to pull up a ballistic calculator and feed in some specifics on each...

Personally, if I were going the 22-250 route, I'd really be looking at the .243...I have two .204s and really like them for various reasons, all of which have been mentioned here..

I would get a 243 and shoot the 58 grain v-max. Also have a 22-250 with 50 grain ballistic tips and can watch the impact through the scope most of the time

i watch the hit with my 22-250, and my 243, and my 308, and my 338. light recoil is great, but nothing 22 caliber and under has enough recoil to matter.

Originally Posted By: NDtrapper97Can I get it done with the savage axis? Or would it pay to buy a better rifle?

Savage Axis is plenty good of gun for your first varmint rifle. They shoot great and if you scratch it up alil bit, it wont bother as if you had a rifle 3 times the cost The stock is alil cheap but you can get an aftermarket stock for it.

I think I would look at the ruger American over the axis. I just have never liked savage in general and have always like rugers. Not saying one will shoot better than the other cuz I have not shot either myself.

I think you need to decide what grain bullet you want to go with. The 204 will push 32 grain bullets around 4000. The 22/250 will push 40 grain bullets around 4000. And like oldturtle said the 243 will push 55 grain bullets round 4000. Barrel length has to do with a lot but at the end of the day i think it still comes down to what grain bullet you want to shoot and how fast.

Originally Posted By: 6724i watch the hit with my 22-250, and my 243, and my 308, and my 338. light recoil is great, but nothing 22 caliber and under has enough recoil to matter.

Sir,

That is because you are more than likely a shooter. It takes discipline but that is the way it is suppose to be. Take three quarters of the people who think that they are shooters to the range. Set them on the bench. Than load their gun for them, and periodically hand it to them empty, with out them knowing. It will become clear as mud why they don't see their hits.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Take care, Willie

AFA rifles I don't think the Axis comes with an accutrigger? The one I've been around didn't and it was terrible! You don't have to spend a mint on a rifle but definitely get one with a decent trigger.

Back