new rifle time!!!Savage-Tikka? 243-260?

ghilliedup

Hey everyone Im pleased to say I am in the market for a new rifle, Im wanting a "nicer" one than I have now (marlin x7)...I would like something nice enough that I will want to hang onto it for years to come. I have a budget of approx $800-900 MAX for the rifle and have a Vortex scope already. I wouldn't mind going with a 243 again if I can find a faster twist that could shoot the 105's but am also strongly considering the 260 rem. for its long range ability (note; in IL deer are shotgun only)

I do a lot (by lot I mean 2-3 times a week
thumbup.gif
) of range shooting out to 600 yards and occasionally farther. I also have chances to take shots on coyotes at long distances due to the open terrain where I live. I know the 243 is capable of all the above but I wonder if the 260 would be a better choice. I already reload my ammo too

What rifle would you guys suggest? The 2 that im looking at hardest are the Savage 10 Predator and the Tikka T3 Varmint...both have semi heavy barrels which I think I want. I also want a DBM this time as well...both come in 243 & 260

What would you guys suggest? Other brands, calibers etc..

I have a predator 10 max in .243, haven't done extensive load testing or anything but shoots everything I've put through it so far well. It has the blued, fluted barrel and max1 camo stock. I didn't like the stock at first, but it's growing on me. A bit heavy, but still a good carry gun.

As far as T3, I've never held a varmint but own a lite ss in .223 and love it. I think its the nicest factory barrel I have purchased so far, shoots well and cleans up easily. I really think they are better than most other guns in the same price range.

Remington 700 Varmint in .243 has a twist that will shoot the 105gr A-max. Have one and with the 105's have no problem shooting out to 900yds+.

If Tikka make the T3 in .260 there would be a line to get one, and i'd be in it.

thanks for the info, which one do you prefer out of the 2? Im looking at the same savage with the max-1 stock...I have only read great things on any tikka so far

Originally Posted By: ghilliedupya tikka does make a 260 according to their website...I think the more I look im really leaning towards a tikka

Tikka makes it but Beretta does not import it into the USA. Only .260 Tikka you can get is the heavy barrel wood stocked Sporter model.

Given the choice between the 2 I'd go with the tikka.

Never did like the savage predator....come to think of it I never did like any of savages rifles really.

I do like my Savage Predator 10, but love my Tikka. If they make the model you like in a caliber you want, I don't think you'd go wrong with the Tikka.

How many locking lugs on the bolt do Tikkas have. Is it a lower angle bolt lift? Or better put is there a lot of clearance between the bolt handle and eye piece of a scope?

Im torn between a Tikka and a CZ in .223. Im on the verge or ordering something very soon.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHHow many locking lugs on the bolt do Tikkas have. Is it a lower angle bolt lift? Or better put is there a lot of clearance between the bolt handle and eye piece of a scope?

Im torn between a Tikka and a CZ in .223. Im on the verge or ordering something very soon.

The Tikka has two locking lugs, and yes, it has a lower bolt lift allowing you to mount the scope as low as you like, unlike the CZ.
Don't be torn. Tikka all the way. If buying in .223 make sure you get the 1" in 8" twist. Good luck!

Guys I shoot with have both rifles. It's a toss up really. They both shoot 5 under a dime with handloads, both are heavy, both have smooth actions and nice triggers. If I had to pick one between the Tikka Varmint and the Max 1 I'd probably take the Varmint bc the resale on it will be higher since they no longer import them to the US. In fact if you can find a Tikka Varmint at a reasonable price you better snatch it up. As for 243 or 260, both are good calibers but 243 is my favorite caliber so I'd choose that one.

And after typing all that I decided on a Sako Finnlight 243 above them all. Costs a lot more but man is it badarse.

OK, so I have to ask. If you're in Illinois and can't shoot deer with it, why wouldn't you go with a 22-250?

I can't see the sense in getting a 260, you're just costing yourself more per round and making your ammo harder to find. I'm assuming you don't care about saving pelts as well? You can kill a coyote with a 50 BMG, but he's no deader than if he gets whacked with a 22-250.

I have Tikkas in both the 243 and the 22-250. The 22-250 is just sooooo flat shooting. I can't quite get the same distance performance out of the .243.

With that said, the Tikka 243 is tremendously versatile. 50 grain varmint pills all the way to 95 grain antelope/deer rounds. It just seems to love them all.

Those wacky Finns make a heck of a rifle.

Grouse

How about, trade your rifle or sell it outright and buy a used Rem 700, then order a Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters supply. You can get it in a fast twist, cartridge, and whatever length and contour you would like.

I just bought a Tikka T3 in 243 and it sure feels nice. I havent got to shoot it yet though since its been 15 degrees outside.

Back