Remington pump action rifles

I have never owned one but hunt with guys that do. I would love to find one in 35 Whelen. Any thoughts on them? Would it be worth getting an older one and cleaning it up for deer hunting?

They are really nice rifles. Pretty good shooters too. My 760 in 308 will shoot just a little over a 1" at 100. That's with a fixed 4x weaver and some thrown together reloads. I'm sure it's capable of better. My only complaint is the crappy trigger.

I'm really thinking hard about picking up another one in 30-06 and having it punched to 338-06.

I think your choice of the 35whelen is excellent

The old man has one in 30 06. Even has the old school wide view scope on it. Want to say its a redfeild scope? Anyhow hes killed 2 antelope and a mule deer out west with it. The one antelope was 600 yrds. Cant verify if that's true or not since it was way before I was even thought of. But he said its always been a good shooter

I have 2 in 30:06, and they shoot well. everyone I hunt deer with uses a 760 and are happy with them. as was mentioned, they are very popular here in Pa. as for the 35 w. I hunt with one in a model 700, and am very impressed with it. If you can find one, I would go with an older one.
Barry

I have one in 30-06 that my dad bought for me in 84' . It clover leaves 180g core locts at a 100 yards with my reloads. I also have a limited run 7600 in 35 rem. the best outta that gun is a 7/8" group. I have had a couple 06' over the years and one in 243. They don't jam and are accurate as heck being they have free floating barrel. I have my 06' in this post...http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=273869&Number=2582134#Post2582134
11124694745_731d2617e9_o.jpg

I have several 700's and they all stay home on opening day. Here in WI woods are thick and it's hard to get a shot over a 100 yards and they are normally on the run. I think you can still find some new whelens on gunbroker. I'd tell ya to get an 06' , bullets are every where if you don't reload and are cheaper. The Whelen thing ran through my mind at one time but they don't shoot as flat as my 06 if I need a longer poke and misjudge the distance. It's the same cartridge just different diameter bullets. They're soo close it's a toss up. the 06' is available everywhere and is in current production...and I don't think between the two cartridges you couldn't tell the difference on a whitetail as far as you could shoot one. The 30-06 was Teddy Roosevelt's favorite for a reason.

Last edited:
I have one in 35 Rem. and it is a keeper. My X had one in 270 Win that was as accurate as any varmint rifle that came through my gun shop in the 1970's. Looking for a 35 Whelen can be tough BUT 30-06 are common and they can be sent to JES Reboring and made into a 35 Whelen very reasonably and turnaround time is pretty quick.

http://www.35caliber.com/

I keep my 760 in NW WI so I can fly back for a hunt and not deal with TSA.

Last edited:
I have a late 70's/early 80's Rem 760 in 30-06 Sprg, stored in
my gun safe. I hunted it a couple of times, but now it is
promised to my Grandson(turns 8 this month). I inherited this
rifle from my Father when he passed suddenly, due to CO
poisoning at a hunting/fishing cabin. It was a proud day
when my father bought his "turdy ought six". He shot one
buck with it, in northern Wisconsin. Our family hunting
property was in a shotgun only zone, so it was a treat to go
north to the National Forest and hunt big woods bucks. This
year most all of the state removed the shotgun only
restriction. Too bad my father didn't live to see that.
He could have taken his "turdy ought six" for a walk out
his back door. Nice rifles if one likes pump actions.
My Grandson is anxious to get big enough to shoot it...Soon.

Squeeze

P.S. My handloads go into 1 MOA groups or less, depending how
caffeinated the shooter is.
grin.gif

Remington's pump rifle is just an excellent all around rifle. There aren't many bad apples in that bunch!

You won't find an old style factory-bored in 35 Whelen, but any of the calibers they made 'em in will drop any deer in the US - 'cept maybe the 222 and 223 (that should get a fight started)! You may have to order a Whelen or look for special runs or shop Gunbroker, etc. - they didn't make a whole lot of them. I personally think the newer models, including, or maybe especially the 7600, are the better made models, and are fully free floated. They are the PA Machine Gun, everybody here has at least two (it's a State law I believe), or one and a lever action. They seem to be popular in New England, WI and MI too (woods hunting states). And the rest of the country seems not to know what they are! Had a Mexican fella in NM holding a 742 Rem (the semi-auto sister to the 760) ask me what kinda gun I was carrying while hunting elk there?!?!?!? I was looking at his gun and thinking, "How can he not know what it is??" I knew what his was! LOL!! I think the 30-06/270/280 will do anything the Whelen will on deer, but a one-off gun is cool too. Good luck, but now that ya posted this, ya gotta give us a range report when you get it.

Any fella from Pennsyltucky has a pump rifle of some sort. Mine happens to be a 308 win. It will be going through a facelift, soon. New stock and forend from Boyd's, Peep rear and a nice front sight of some sort. I'll never be without one in Penn's Woods.

Originally Posted By: GCRemington's pump rifle is just an excellent all around rifle. There aren't many bad apples in that bunch!

What he said. And throw in the 742 woodsmaster. That I believe Remington spun the pumps from. Top notch stuff right there!!!

Take care, Willie

Last edited:
My wife has a 300 savag and that thing is a shooter with factory core lokt bullets. I haven't even tried to load for it yet got a good deal on a bunch of factory ammo. I wouldn't mind a 280 or 6mm myself

There is some on gunbroker, I just checked. The only bad thing is your probably going to pay more for a used one in that caliber than for a new rifle in a current run caliber

My father has shot a 760 Remington pump since the mid 1960s and to add insult he topped it with a 2-9 scope. When he bought that rifle, dinosaurs and .30-30s still ruled the North Woods and when he showed up in camp he was almost laughed out.

"You can't shoot deer in the woods with a scope, you can't pick them up in the trees. And pump guns will freeze up and jam." "Pumps aren't accurate. You can't make a shotgun action into a rifle."

He had 2 deer hanging by noon and in the late afternoon on Saturday he took one more across a peat bog at over 400 yards. All through the peak deer years of the 1960s, he terrorized everything with a white tail in the north woods and in a time when some of the guys in camp still depended on venison because they were laid off in the winter, he filled many, many freezers. His ability to hit driven deer, on the move, is still legendary.

Nobody said much about what you "can't" do with a Remington pump after that first year.

Grouse

My friend and I both bought 35 whelens when the chambering came out. I bought a 700C and he bought the pump. It's a nice gun; I'm surprised how accurate it is. They do turn up on Gun Broker and gun shows every once in awhile. I think if you put some time in you will find one.

By the way, I love this cartridge. I have a .25-06, .30-06 and the whelen, but the latter is my go to gun.

Back