6.5-55 swed for coyotes?

Dogman223

Hey guys just some advice please I have a 6.5-55 custom built on a arisaka action with 26in schilen that I enjoy to shoot more than anything and is very accurate. So my question I have always thought it was a little much pill for yotes but thinking about loading some hornady 100grain max anybody have experience with these bullets?

I haven't but was looking at them for my son's Swede. He is shooting 140's right now and it is a LOT for yotes, kills them with authority though. If you use it I would be curious to hear how it does. My only concern was getting them to stabilize since they are pretty light, don't know if that is an issue though.

I have never shot a coyote with this but when I was younger we had a rabid dog running around the house it bit one of our dogs and as a result we had to put him down. I was told to shoot the dog if I saw him and a day later he showed up. We had an old 6.5 x 55 so I got it out and shot the dog. It put a hole the size of a sofball in its side. The dog was about 65-70lbs and was tore up bad. If you are wanting to keep the fur I wouldnt use it on a coyote.

100gr Sierra H.P....48.5gr IMR 4831,....Fed 210 prmr. 2.870 oal. Shot from a fully sporterized Gustav 1920 M96 by Kimber and a partially sporterized 1906 Gustav. Not sure of M designation. Great round on paper. Never killed with it.
120gr Sierra ProHunter. 46gr IMR 4831, WLR prmr. 2.950 oal. Awesome load. I have taken several large S.E Texas deer up to 270 yds and nothing went more than 40 yds.
Forget the 140 gr Nosler partition. Horrible! 100gr nosler ballistic tip is good.

I bought a 6.5x55 SE last year and worked up a decent 140gr load for deer but I started playing with lighter bullets to see if I can find something accurate for varmint. So far I have shot the 120gr Sierra Pro hunters and the 120gr Ballistic Tips. They both are pretty accurate in my rifle so I am going to now try the 85gr Sierra Blitz Kings, 95gr Vmax, and the 100gr Ballistic Tip bullets. I just need to find the time to load and shoot them.

I am sure that everyone of those bullets would be to much on coyote for someone who saves fur. Maybe when pelts are not prime and i'm lucky enough to connect with one it will work.

I had a Remington Classic and it really liked the Sierra 100gr HP and RL-19. My guess it would be a awesome coyote bullet.

Are you hunting for fur, or hunting? I used to have a swede mauser (all 97lbs of it), shot straight, hit hard, was just hard to find factory fodder to feed it. Pretty meat friendly on deer, wasn't exactly fur friendly with the crap I was using, but the only coyotes I shot with it were depredation hunts in the spring and summer, so I wasn't too worried about fur.

Be aware! I loaded up some of the 85 and 95 grain bullets for my brothers Swede and at ranges under 100 yards, they were very destructive. The 85 grain Sierra bullet will virtually behead a coyote at 50 yards. He shot a large doe that year with the 95 grain V-Max (around 150 yards) and was very pleased with the results. Massive internal destruction and a golf ball sized exit. I prefer using the heavier bullets of 120 to 129 grain. Not really fur friendly, but not nearly as gory as the strictly varmint bullets.

Originally Posted By: RonO.Be aware! I loaded up some of the 85 and 95 grain bullets for my brothers Swede and at ranges under 100 yards, they were very destructive. The 85 grain Sierra bullet will virtually behead a coyote at 50 yards. He shot a large doe that year with the 95 grain V-Max (around 150 yards) and was very pleased with the results. Massive internal destruction and a golf ball sized exit. I prefer using the heavier bullets of 120 to 129 grain. Not really fur friendly, but not nearly as gory as the strictly varmint bullets.

What speeds? I think that may be the key, here...??

I killed several Coyote in the 90's with the 6.5x55. 140gr federal premium. If you hit bone it was messy. Through the ribs not to bad.

Back