Thermal or Night Vision?

I have a few friends that think my gear collection is over the top amazing ( I have 3 PVS14s and 1 MLS618).

I then see what Skypup has.

I am unworthy. I am a mere rookie amateur wannabe poser.

When you've got a serious infestation of swine, you learn to seek the heat and light the night in a hurry....
thumbup1.gif

If you look back though, I started out with LED lights and used them for a couple of years before upgrading to NV and then to thermal, each step was a logarithmic increase in fur and bacon harvest. Last year we took down over three hundred hogs and about 35 coyotes, so I would consider that a success even though they keep on coming back for more lead.

Could you imagine having the equipment that you have now back then before the hogs got educated.

eLguPc.gif

" You can't handle the bacon! "

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hard_wareCould you imagine having the equipment that you have now back then before the hogs got educated.

" You can't handle the bacon! "

All I can say is that I have never regretted any of it.

I am amazed and perplexed when I read people who state that they are waiting for NV/Thermal prices to fall before they get the equipment they need to hunt vermin at night, they miss out 100% on action that is worth more than the equipment by waiting and not being able to make a decision.

Once you have the equipment you need, it is all good and you do not look back! I never puchase anything I do not plan on using for the next ten years either....

By the time some get good NV, you will need thermal to hunt with to be productive.

The critters in the open were done in by spotlights, then night vision now the only ones left are hiding in the bushes
laugh.gif

Skypup, I have the two Flir, PVS14 on a Wendy Helmut with a Surefire IR Flashlight (that I hate due to excessive washout near me), Raptor Gen 3 6X and a M845 Gen 2 2.8X.

I am trying to decide between the new Flir Thermal Scope, but that adds another step for identification in between detection and shot, and a clip on.

What would you do? I am guessing I am going to drop 6-10K on this and want the best bang for the buck.

Oh, I just ordered a Dbal IR laser for AR and possibly to mount to a Benelli M4 Shotgun. Do you think the Dbal will take the recoil of a 12 Gauge?

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorSkypup, I have the two Flir, PVS14 on a Wendy Helmut with a Surefire IR Flashlight (that I hate due to excessive washout near me), Raptor Gen 3 6X and a M845 Gen 2 2.8X.

If you are getting too much IR washout from your helmet mount, you should hold it in your hand or have it mounted on your rifle when you use it. I have a couple of EagleTac IRs helmet mounted and keep them on low and only use them a little at a time to reach out 200-300 yards. For close up IR, get a Princeton Tec IR -> they would great for lighting up a 50-60 foot circle around you at night.

I am trying to decide between the new Flir Thermal Scope, but that adds another step for identification in between detection and shot, and a clip on.

What would you do? I am guessing I am going to drop 6-10K on this and want the best bang for the buck.

If you get the RS-32 or RS-64 with the 60mm lens, I believe you would be able to 99% ID all out to 200 yards with it, with the 35mm lens on either one about 1/2 that distance. That takes training however of perhaps 50-60 hours of use with the thermal scope. Or you could use your NV for same?

Oh, I just ordered a Dbal IR laser for AR and possibly to mount to a Benelli M4 Shotgun. Do you think the Dbal will take the recoil of a 12 Gauge?

I have three DBAL-D2s and a DBAL-I2 mounted on 556s and 762s with no recoil issues, however I have read of a DBAL-D2 failing after use on a shotgun (don't remember if it was the IR laser or the IR Illuminator that died), I believe it was Mr. Benelli here on PM that has his die on his shotgun. To be honest, I do not know for a fact what IR laser takes the pounding of a 12 gauge, perhaps someone else will chime in with their experience?

I have clip-on thermals but no clip-on NV scopes, the mil-spec FLIR thermal clip-ons are to die for....

425%20Pound%20Head.jpg

Another%20225%20Yard%20Dog.jpg

The WASP is still being improved on from what little I know, when it is finally ready for public abuse, it will be collimated properly to be less than 1 MOA, so def worth the wait.

I was going to mention, that it sounds like you could use a TNVC Torch-Pro focusable IR illuminator mounted on your NV scope rifles to keep the ground spill/flash from occurring.

The new FLIR RS thermal will be publicly available here shortly so will get some real time hunting experiences on them for proper evaluation soon.

FLIRONE_SeeTheHeat_2C.png

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: R15 PredatorSkypup, I have the two Flir, PVS14 on a Wendy Helmut with a Surefire IR Flashlight (that I hate due to excessive washout near me), Raptor Gen 3 6X and a M845 Gen 2 2.8X.

If you are getting too much IR washout from your helmet mount, you should hold it in your hand or have it mounted on your rifle when you use it. I have a couple of EagleTac IRs helmet mounted and keep them on low and only use them a little at a time to reach out 200-300 yards. For close up IR, get a Princeton Tec IR -> they would great for lighting up a 50-60 foot circle around you at night.

If you get the RS-32 or RS-64 with the 60mm lens, I believe you would be able to 99% ID all out to 200 yards with it, with the 35mm lens on either one about 1/2 that distance. That takes training however of perhaps 50-60 hours of use with the thermal scope. Or you could use your NV for same?

I have three DBAL-D2s and a DBAL-I2 mounted on 556s and 762s with no recoil issues, however I have read of a DBAL-D2 failing after use on a shotgun (don't remember if it was the IR laser or the IR Illuminator that died), I believe it was Mr. Benelli here on PM that has his die on his shotgun. To be honest, I do not know for a fact what IR laser takes the pounding of a 12 gauge, perhaps someone else will chime in with their experience?
pretty sure the illuminator failed. I'm wanting a shot gun IR laser set up, not sure what will handle the rath of the SBE 3.5".

Back