22-250 with heavy bullets.

I_misssed_again

I am wanting to do a 22-250 build on a Stevens 200 action. What I really want to do is a fast twist barrel that is about 22 to 24 inches long in heavy sporter at most, with a shortened length of pull for varmint hunting. I want to be able to shoot the Berger 80s and maybe even the 90s, well ya the 90s too. Im not sure that this can be done with the specs that I want.

I have read the posts about why not go 243 and that is a great point. But here in Colorado there are some crazy rules about what you can hunt with during a big game hunt if you dont have a big game tag. So I am restricted to 22 cal or less. I love the long heavy Berger bullets.... and the biggest reason I want to do this is ..... well just because.....

Has anyone done a build close to this and had success? Am I shooting myself in the foot by going so short and light in the barrel contour?

Thanks

Ryan

Originally Posted By: I_misssed_againI was thinking the same thing.... Do you think that a 1/7 will stabilize the 90's?

I think a 1/7 would stabilize the 90's in a .22-250, but you might call Berger & ask. I'm shooting 75 gr A-Max out of an 8 twist now, just replaced my 9 twist. Barrel life doesn't seem so great shooting the heavies in .22-250 but they're awesome while they last. ( I got about 900 accurate rounds out of my first one)

1 in 7 will stabilize the 90 gr bullets, no problem. Built one with a Hart barrel, but was a heavy varmint taper. Light barrel might work, but will heat up faster and accuracy might get interesting. Depends somewhat at the range you will be shooting. If you can do it with one or two shots you should be OK. Cheers, Ottway

I have a 22-250 AI with a 1-8 twist and I have shot up to 80 VLDs out of it. I'd really like to see if it would stabilize the 90s...but I would probably need a 1-7.

Good luck!

I have a custom built 22-250ai 1/8 hart. I understand you want 90s but man 75 grain a-max is wicked. Its a freaking laser. I thought of going with 1/7 but the deal is if i was ever in a jam and had to use factory ammo it may over stablize them. Im sure my 1/8 could as well. Its been awhile but from what i remember when doing my research 1/8 is the sweet spot. And you can run from 55's up into the low 80's. Some guys i talked to thought with the ai and a hot load with the 8 twist i could push the 90's ive never tried.

but give me to the end of this week and i will load some up because i have a box of 90's on the bench. If any of you have quick load. ( im a mac user) Please run data on 22-250 ai 90 bergers h-414 or superperformance cci #200 and lapua brass. But 75 grain amax and h-414 will do everything you want it to with regular 22-250 loads. Ai it for a lil extra fun.

Last edited:
will 80gr and 90gr 224 bullets do anything more than punch a small hole in "varmints", my guess is no. so then what is the point with using bullets that heavy in a 22-250?

Originally Posted By: 6724will 80gr and 90gr 224 bullets do anything more than punch a small hole in "varmints", my guess is no. so then what is the point with using bullets that heavy in a 22-250?

The 75 & 80 gr. A-Max bullets make a pretty LARGE hole in coyotes, they are very destructive & effective. The point of using them (for me) is the much higher ballistic coefficient, leading to better ballistic performance at long ranges. It's a rush to call one into your lap, but it's also satisfying to reach out & touch one in the next county
thumbup.gif

i have killed many over 500 yards using 55gr v-max, and one over 600 yards. i am well aware of bullet flight at longer ranges with heavy bullets, but my experience with heavy bullets is zero expansion. maybe the amax is different, but the sierra matchkings i have killed animals with went in and out with little to no expansion, coyotes shot at under 100 yards spun and ran over 100 yards on several occasions with forward chest shots. [beeep], one was shot facing straight at me, looked like someone put a bomb up its butt. but 6 hours later at daylight i found the thing still alive about 250 yards from the bait pile.

if it works for you great.

I shoot a 8 twist Savage 22-243Win. Shoot 80gr VLD's at 3350fps using H4831 and Retumbo. We're limited to .22 centerfires here so that's why I built it so I could play a little further out there. Shot maybe 15 coyotes with it the last couple seasons from 30 to 815yds.
The gun is a hoot to shoot and very accurate but the 80gr VLD is pretty unpredictable on coyotes. Some pencil through and I've done a bit of tracking to recover them. Hit bone and she dynamites. The 75gr amax is probably a better killer with more expansion but I've never shot any with them. Mines a heavy SOB but that's what I wanted coming in around 16lbs.

If I do another 22-243win for coyotes it'll be a sporter weight 14 twist to shoot 50's. Shot my first 3 coyotes this week with a new 17-204 and man o man me likey. None of my shots were what I would call perfect on my part but at 220,270 and 277yds all three just plain died immediately. No fur damage. It's my first 17 but I think I'm gonna like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6724i have killed many over 500 yards using 55gr v-max, and one over 600 yards. i am well aware of bullet flight at longer ranges with heavy bullets, but my experience with heavy bullets is zero expansion. maybe the amax is different, but the sierra matchkings i have killed animals with went in and out with little to no expansion, coyotes shot at under 100 yards spun and ran over 100 yards on several occasions with forward chest shots. [beeep], one was shot facing straight at me, looked like someone put a bomb up its butt. but 6 hours later at daylight i found the thing still alive about 250 yards from the bait pile.

if it works for you great.

Apparently the A-Max IS a different animal, I've found them to be consistently lethal. I've never had one properly hit go more than 8 or10 feet. My only experience with matchkings is in .223 and .308, and it is remarkably similar to yours.
500 yard coyotes and 1 over 600 yards with 55 grain bullets? That's some mighty impressive shooting friend. I couldn't consistently do it, which is why I built a fast twist gun. I need all the advantage I can get
thumbup1.gif

Good luck & good shooting, RB9

Last edited:
Back