Savage vs Ruger 17hmr.

Originally Posted By: spiaailliI always thought finding a Ruger that would shoot was a bit like looking for Big Foot.

It seems that you thought wrong. I own or have owned Rugers from .17 HMR to .458 Winchester Mag and shooters all they have been. The most out of the box factory centerfire rifle that I ever owned was a Model 77 tang safety .220 Swift.

There is gun show today in Boise. If I find something there that I like, then I think that there a pretty good chance that another Ruger will be going home with me today.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: spiaailliI always thought finding a Ruger that would shoot was a bit like looking for Big Foot.

It seems that you thought wrong. I own or have owned Rugers from .17 HMR to .458 Winchester Mag and shooters all they have been. The most out of the box factory centerfire rifle that I ever owned was a Model 77 tang safety .220 Swift.

There is gun show today in Boise. If I find something there that I like, then I think that there a pretty good chance that another Ruger will be going home with me today.

Buddy of mine has one of the Ruger .17's and it will outshoot me(no great feat) but it does it with regularity.

Chupa

My Ruger experience is limited so take it for what it is worth.

I had a .22 Hornet HB that would shoot patterns. At 50 yards.
frown.gif

I've got two 77/17s and both of them shoot better at 100 yards than the .22H did at 50.

The triggers on them sucked from the factory, but with a little Volquartsen action and some light stoning, they really came into a nice trigger.

I will add though, I have a CZ Varmint 453 in 17HMR that will shoot lights out without much more than mounting a scope. Took it on my PD hunt last year and was laser blasting them out to 100+ yards.

Originally Posted By: OtterBob On split second decision, I purchased the new Savage 93 17 TR in 17 HMR. With out a doubt, it's a shooter. However, it's just a little to bulky to carry hunting. I am thinking about replacing it with the Ruger 77/17 with the heavy barrel. I've already got the 22 lr version. If any of you have the Ruger, I would love to hear about the accuracy of it.
Thanks..

OtterBob,
I used to be a Ruger guy all the way, but not anymore. IMO, Ruger quality has declined over the past 20 years and Savage has improved dramatically. I know several guys who have the Savage 17 HMR and from what I've seen at the range, they easily outshoot the Ruger's hands down. Besides, look at the price difference. To make the Ruger shoot really well, you have to invest more money whereas with the Savages, they shoot great out of the box. Just my opinion.

I have a savage bvss .17HMR and it is by far my most favorite gun. Topped with a Weaver 4-12x44 scope and its amazing how dang accurate it is. Lets just put it this way. We set full pop cans out in the snow at 170-200 yards and we shoot .223 and 22-250 blowing them up. when we are tired of spending the money we play clean up with the .17's its amazing what this little bullet can do. Plus the Accutrigger come on no Contest. Wish the magazine could hold ten is all but hands down the best gun in the .17hmr round.

I've owned a few of the Ruger 77 rimfires thru the years and was never all that happy with the accuracy. I guess I was drawn to them because of their good looks. When I heard the newer ones had screwed in barrels I got interested again. I've just bought a 77 22 Mag Walnut and a 77/17 Stainless synthetic. With the really cold weather I've only been able to shoot the 22 Mag at 50 yards and so far the results are very good. I'll be shooting both rifles from the bench as soon as the weather breaks (March)
and will be posting the results.
Has anyone noticed a difference in the accuracy of the clamped in barrel VS the newer screwed in barrel?

Welcome to Predator Masters. Great sight. Just FYI, your first post was on a three year old thread. IE no one has been here in a very long time...

Yes I noticed that it was an old subject. I thought it might come back to life since it is an interesting subject. I'll move on to a different place.

To start off with, I am certainly not anti-Savage anything as three (.221 Furball, .204, .223AI) of my varminters are Savages and they are much loved.

But two days ago I was at the range with someone that had a Savage .17 HMR (don't know the model but it had a plastic stock and accutrigger) and it shot awful. He tried to get it to group with at least 4 different kinds of ammo at 100 yards to no avail. Discovered the scope mounts were loose and tightened them back up and...ta da!...no help. It still looked like a group Ray Charles might have shot. I tried it at 50 yards and the best I could do was over an inch.

Perhaps I should mention that he had a BSA Sweet-17 scope on it but that really shouldn't have matter that much. Maybe he got a lemon but who knows? All I know was that if it were mine and I couldn't get it to shoot any better than that it would be someone else's rifle before long.

I recently purchased a Volquartsen 17HMR. This is a semiauto and may be he only semi 17HMR our there. Yes it was pricey ($875) but I have never seen a rimfire shoot this accurately. It always shoots 3/4 inch groups as long as there is no heavy crosswind. My first scope on it was only 10x, but with the accuracy I plan to upgrade the scope to be able to shoot out a little farther.

I will say that over 125 yards, most of the prairie dogs I have shot with a 17hmr do not die right away, and usually crawl back in the hole to die.

Originally Posted By: RustydustTo start off with, I am certainly not anti-Savage anything as three (.221 Furball, .204, .223AI) of my varminters are Savages and they are much loved.

But two days ago I was at the range with someone that had a Savage .17 HMR (don't know the model but it had a plastic stock and accutrigger) and it shot awful. He tried to get it to group with at least 4 different kinds of ammo at 100 yards to no avail. Discovered the scope mounts were loose and tightened them back up and...ta da!...no help. It still looked like a group Ray Charles might have shot. I tried it at 50 yards and the best I could do was over an inch.

Perhaps I should mention that he had a BSA Sweet-17 scope on it but that really shouldn't have matter that much. Maybe he got a lemon but who knows? All I know was that if it were mine and I couldn't get it to shoot any better than that it would be someone else's rifle before long.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Purchased a used Savage 17, three different types of ammo and each was dinner plate sized groups at 100 yards. Swapped out scope, no difference. Sold it for what I paid, was just out the cost of ammo.

Though I have friends with them and they are tack drivers. Really seems like it's hit or miss on their 17s.

Either way, I won't buy another savage rimfire again. Heard the new B-mags suck anyways.

Last edited:
My Savage 93R17 BVSS with a 4x Nikon will shoot a 10 shot group of an inch or less. Bought it for 25% off a couple of years ago when our local Sportsman's Warehouse went out of business. The 4x Nikon was the only scope they had left for it. Always wanted a more powerful scope on it, but I'm afraid to mess with success.

Back