Thoughts on Eotech and BUIS......

trashcan

Anybody here use an eotech sight? I'm looking at a 517 model with MI BUIS front and rear. Mainly looking for feedback about the eotech on a flat top AR. Pics would not hurt either.
Thanks in advance.

Trashcan
DCC

Eootech by itself (no riser) should give close to an absolute cowitness with standard, A2-height sights. That means the dot of the Eotech will be just about on top of the front sight post with maybe a little variation.

The risers you see all over the place allow for what's called a "lower third cowitness" where the irons are visible at the bottom of the Eotech window, but the dot and the front sight post don't have anything to do with each other.

I had an Eotech with no riser on a carbine with A2 sights. I really liked the setup. The Eotech with no riser is just fine, height-wise and you just select the large aperture and look through the rear sight like it's not even there. We also use basically the same thing on our M4's at work, just with a flip-up rear sight. The dot is near the front sight post, but you just ignore the sight when using the dot.

MI flip up's should be a non-issue as far as cowitness. As long as you can see them through the Eotech window, you should be okay using them as a true backup to the holosight.

I have had a 512 for a few years and used it on both my AR pistol and a carbine. I have not hunted with it, so take anything I say with that in mind.
It easily co-witnesses with iron sights. Here's a pic from the carbine with an older style YHM rear flip-up and standard FSB up front..

R124.jpg

I really like the reticle on the Eotech. I think the 65 moa cirle and dot make it very fast to aquire. Getting a good picture of the reticle is somewhat difficult for an unskilled photographer like myself, but here is a couple of attemtps -

EOTECH01.jpg

EOTECH02.jpg

I recently let a friend shoot this AR, along with one which has an Aimpoint M2 and another with a TA01 Acog. He didn't have experience with any of the sights before hand and picked the Eotech hands down as his favorite.

From what I understand the 517 will give you a "lower-third" co-witness while the 512 will be close to absolute (see pd's pics). Sorry, no pics of the 517. I'm gathering parts for a 6x45 build which will not have an iron sight option and am debating the choice between a 512 and a 517 myself. The 517 MIGHT be easier to bring on target for a quick shot, but I don't make too many of those. The 512 looks like you'd use a more traditional cheekweld.

Choices/choices.
confused.gif

Last edited:
IF you want to be a squirrel sniper, don't waste the money. If you want nano-second sight acquisition for the coyote running 30 yards outside your pick-up window, get it.

The whole "Co-witness" issue I can see if you are in combat, fighting to keep your life if optics fail. Pigeon hunting....Not so much.

Last edited:
I use an Eotech on my AR flat top and love it. Also have one on my 12 ga. 3" mag. and it's better than sliced Bread ! If you need a little magnification use the Vortex Flip to Side 3x magnifier. Killed a lot of coyotes with this setup. See the Foxpro Western div. contest for pic's = Navy7797

IMHO any added sights are just blocking the sight picture.

Last edited:
I have a 517 with a Magpul MBUS and 2-5x magnifier in a LaRue flip to side mount. The 517 is lower 1/3 witness which I prefer because the front sight post doesn't obstruct as much of the Eotech window. The other thing is if you are running standard handguards the 517 can cantilever over the handguards if the eotech is mounted all the way forward. If you run buis and a magnifier you will need to mount the eotech all the way forward.

If I were to do it again I would leave the iron sights off. I'm not worried about the eotech failing and needing the backups for zombies. Once you use the eotech there is no way you would want to use irons anyay.

Edit: The Magpul BUS rear and front Gen II will be 1/3 co witness with the EOTECH EXPS sight with the G33 magnifier. I added the HHS1 system and the Magpul BUS Gen II to my Ambush AR15 5.56 rifle and this was what I can confirm. So this should answer the OP question.
I've got the Ambush Firearms 5.56 MSR now and plan to put some MBUS Gen II fold down sights on the top rail and then add a HHS1 system to it. EOTech EXPS3.4 with the M33 flip over to the side magnifier.

I'm thinking that if I have a Wicked Light attacked to one of the 3" long Picatinny side rails I can acquire and shoot fast moving coyotes up close at night.

I defiantly don't want any predators sneaking up on me and getting the jump on me when I hunt alone at night.

I want to make sure I get them before they get me! LOL

For day time ops I can slap a good Nikon M-223 on the AR15 and be good out to 500 yards with the BCD 600 reticle on the Nikon 4x16x42.

I plan on shooting some of the Remington Premium AccuTip V 55 gr bullets in this setup and the Nikon is sighted in for this bullet. I can also shoot the Hornady Max V 55 and 64 gr bullets with this Nikon Setup on the Ambush Firearms 5.56 AR15 rifle

I'll be mounting the AR15 on a Caldwell Magnum DeadShot FieldPod for a very stable shooting platform that I should be able to rotate around 360 deg from the standing shooting position.

I'll use the FieldPod for hunting at night where I can have my hands free to use the caller.

I'm thinking of using a head mounted scan light for night hunting but I'm not so sure that the best idea. I noticed that the light bounces around a lot when I'm nervous and looking around a lot and back over my shoulder. I fear that the light might be scaring the predators away with all the movement of the light? So maybe finding a way to level the light and rotate it 360 from a holder would be better.

I could just use the rifle on the FieldPod and rotate that around until I pick up eye shine at night.

I don't have the EOTech just yet. It's not going to be shipped until next week. I didn't pay extra for overnight shipping.

Mean while I'm going to try to research more about how to sight in the EOTech Holographic Weapons sight. U tube here I come.

I also figure that with the 4 dot reticle and the M33 3x magnifier I can shoot coyotes at longer range if I can see them day or night.

Plus the EXPS-3 is night vision compatable and if someday I can scrap up $28K for a good Gen III night vision or Thermal T3 EOTech I'll be in 7th heaven. The CNVD-T3 will work with both setups I think. Just stick it in front of the Nikon for nigh ops.

Last edited:
the EOtech is hands down THE BEST sight for a moving target. plus here in Iowa, we can't use lights for night hunting but the EOtech works great for moonlight calling

You can always add a scope to your arsenal and use it when you are in a position to shoot longer distances and need more magnification.

But just because you have more magnification doesn't mean you can hold the cross hairs on a target that's 600 meter down range. Well maybe you and others can do that well but I'm kind of shakey at 200 yard with 16X magnification. And I was at the shooting range on a solid bench and using a Caldwell Tack Driver Shooting bag on the front of my AR15. Now if I was using a bolt action rifle with a lead sled holding it steady then yes a 16X magnification would work better for me than the 3x G33 with the EXPS3-4 unit. But I hunt in an area where it's thick cover and there are not that many fields where I can see a coyote coming at over 600 meter away. I live in Southern IN and the county I live is has a lot of coal mines that have been reclaimed and are planted in a lot of scrubs and tall grass. If I lived out West where there were wild open spaces to hunt then I'd use my Nikon M-223 Scope with the 4x16x42 and 600 BDC reticle.

But when a coyote slips in close to your stand at night and you need to shoot fast the EOTECH is the king IMHO. Shooting with both eyes open and seeing what going on around you in the dark is the way to go IMHO. I'm talking about a coyote that's within shotgun range and you don't have a shotgun with you. That's where I think that the HWS system will come in handy for me.

Now everyone's hunting style and land is not the same so other's may differ and need other types of optics.

I'm thinking about buying a mount to use the HWS on my Remington Model 870 12 gage shotgun for hunting coyotes at night up close and personal in the thick stuff.

Back