Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#2627850 - 02/02/14 06:27 PM Wildlife tracking collars/systems
Baldknobber Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Cabool, Mo.
Just wondered what kind of collars are used in tracking wildlife . What brands are available, what is the charge life, what is the range of the receiver, what is the cost? Also what is the chance of getting the thing back if you attached to a coyote? LOL

#2628068 - 02/02/14 10:20 PM Re: Wildlife tracking collars/systems [Re: Baldknobber]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
There are a lot of different types of collars and transmitters. There are vhf and gps and several types of each.

Charge life varies according to features of the transmitter. There are drop of collars and permanent collars. Most have a mortality signal when they don't move in a certain amount of time. Once the mortality signal kicks in, you track to it to recover it.

Be sure you check with your states wildlife department before you go slapping collars on wildlife or you may get in a bind.

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

#2628511 - 02/03/14 02:17 PM Re: Wildlife tracking collars/systems [Re: Yellowhammer]
Crimson Raptor Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer
Be sure you check with your states wildlife department before you go slapping collars on wildlife or you may get in a bind.

+1. And please, please take video during the collaring process. Must see tv, I'm thinking! scared

"Intelligent people are often drawn to dumb ideas because the dumb ideas speak to their hearts, rather than to their heads." - Unknown

Don't make me break out my inner Chupa.

#2629194 - 02/04/14 12:18 PM Re: Wildlife tracking collars/systems [Re: Baldknobber]
Baldknobber Offline
Seasoned Member

Yellowhammer, do you know any brand names or websites?

#2631859 - 02/07/14 04:15 PM Re: Wildlife tracking collars/systems [Re: Baldknobber]
Chetty Offline
Predator Master

Loc: PA, USA
I've taken part in some studies where collars were used on whitetails. I can tell you this, they are expensive. I'd do a Google search for "GPS radio Collars". I am sure you'll find a ton of information.

#2632229 - 02/07/14 11:19 PM Re: Wildlife tracking collars/systems [Re: Baldknobber]
Baldknobber Offline
Seasoned Member

good idea, thanks

#3189034 - 01/28/19 02:18 PM Re: Wildlife tracking collars/systems [Re: Baldknobber]
shoresg Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Wildlife Materials is used by several conservation departments, but I would bet it is very illegal to put a tracking collar on a wild animal for personal gain, JMO

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.