RRA R3 Upper

ORyote

Finally got my new RRA upper in today! Can't wait to get it to the range this weekend. It's looking sexy. I am going to be adding a UBR stock soon and maybe some new glass eventually. Here are some pics:

RRA R3 Competition Upper 18in.

thumbup1.gif
love the long hand guard.

I'm considering a complete R3 rifle. I'm just waiting on some long range rewiews so I can decide if I want to get a RRA R3 or a Stag 3G. Since I'm not a 3 gunner. It will be used more for hunting.

Originally Posted By: 50vmaxshooterI'm considering a complete R3 rifle. I'm just waiting on some long range rewiews so I can decide if I want to get a RRA R3 or a Stag 3G. Since I'm not a 3 gunner. It will be used more for hunting.

I too am not a 3 gunner but will be using this for hunting. What kind of ranges are talking about when you say long?

Originally Posted By: cmil84Nice rifle. Im waiting on mine. How long did it take for you to get yours

I ordered my upper from a guy out of Missouri not from RRA, so i didn't have to wait on Rock River to complete a order. Joe Bob Outfiiters has the whole rifle available, but they were hard to come by when I was researching especially just the upper. Here's a link to Joes if your interested.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rock_River_Arms_LAR_15_R3_18_Competition_Rifle_AR_p/rra-ar1700.htm

Originally Posted By: ORyoteOriginally Posted By: 50vmaxshooterI'm considering a complete R3 rifle. I'm just waiting on some long range rewiews so I can decide if I want to get a RRA R3 or a Stag 3G. Since I'm not a 3 gunner. It will be used more for hunting.

I too am not a 3 gunner but will be using this for hunting. What kind of ranges are talking about when you say long?

400 for sure maybe 500 and 600 yards ringing steel.

Whenever you get a chance to shoot this try and give us a range report with pics. I am intrested. I was told I had a two month wait from the time I ordered mine and that was back on January 19th so I still have a while

Wow I've been debating on this upper or a PSA special for a month now, and haven't seen many reviews. Glad I found this because I don't shoot 3-gun either and plan on hunting with it. Please post your review and groups when you get a chance. The R3 upper seems like a great deal for 650-700.

Here are a few groups wile sighting in my gun with a cheap scope @100 yrds. I am not the best shooter. the gun is better than me.
53 gr vmax

1337.jpg

55 gr vmax
1338.jpg

I am not a three gunner just got it for coyote calling. Wish the hand guard ended at the gas block to show off the fluted barrel more.

Last edited:
That is exactly my thought. Which ever one I end up with the 3G or R3 I will be swapping the hand guard so you see more of the barrel. I'm a sucker for a fluted stainless barrel.

I wanted this upper in the worst way for hunting but felt the stainless barrel was too shiney. Up here on a sunny day anything stainless is like a carrying a mirror. I know, I could have it painted or dipped, but would rather not...Keep us posted on the range report, can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Well I ended up with RRA R3 a local shop had a R3 upper and a 2 complete R3's one with a fixed stock and one with a adjustable stock. Needless to say I now own the one with the adjustable stock. Now I have order a shorter hand guard so I can see that sexy fluted stainless barrel better.

Originally Posted By: 50vmaxshooterWell I ended up with RRA R3 a local shop had a R3 upper and a 2 complete R3's one with a fixed stock and one with a adjustable stock. Needless to say I now own the one with the adjustable stock. Now I have order a shorter hand guard so I can see that sexy fluted stainless barrel better.

Sounds great. Post up some pics of the new rifle. I just put some new glass on my today and should have a range report come tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to shoot it.

Sombody has to post some pics and a range report. I am going nuts just waiting on mine. Tried watching youtube videos of it but there is not that many videos

I like the long hand guards because they sit in shooting sticks without sitting on the barrel,but I'm a lover of the fluted barrels also. I bought a Midwest tech gen 2 handguard 15" and it's the best of both worlds. It's long but is so heavily notched the fluted barrel shows well underneath it.

Originally Posted By: cmil84Sombody has to post some pics and a range report. I am going nuts just waiting on mine. Tried watching youtube videos of it but there is not that many videos
You got that right. Trying to find a decent report on this rifle is as hard as picking fly s*** out of black pepper...

Back