Setting up the stand with e-caller

Lady_yote

I'm a 34 year old female and I've never had the slightest interest in hunting ....until now! The more and more I look into hunting coyote's, the more excited, challenged, and curious I become. I've learned so much from reading all of your posts and replies. I've also been reading/watching everything else I can find to learn from, anywhere I've been able to find it.

A few questions I have at this point are(feel free to answer any and/or all that you'd like):

How do you get into a stand and set up the e-caller without being noticed?

How do you know if you've been busted? And if so, is it completely game over for you in that area? Or just in that specific location?

How far do you move in between stands?

I've only been out a handful of times in the last month and I haven't gotten anything. Not one peep. I'm going to areas where the fish and game have shown that many came from last year so I think I'm in the right area, but how do I know for sure. I don't get discouraged easily and I'm not at this point, but what I don't want to be doing is wasting my time in areas where there's nothing. So I first need to find out if I'm doing something wrong in setting up my stand, so that I can determine if my location is worthwhile. I'm located in Southwest Utah if that helps with any ideas/tips anyone may have to offer. Thanks.
smile.gif

Welcome! Thats Awesome. Glad to see ladys taking to hunting.

for your first question. I leave the house about 5:45, arrive at my spot about an hour before first light, Not sun rise, First light, a good half hour before the sun actually comes up. Getting there at this time allows you to remain unseen but can be dangerous if you dont have a light. Usually a red filmed light will work and not give away your position but I have been known to use my iphone light to navigate to my spot. whatever you have should work fine, just dont go flashing it everywhere and give your position away. strictly use it for seeing directly in front of you. For later in the day, I try to find spots that have as much cover as possible so I can sneak into my spot. If I am close to a mountain, I will hug the mountain as I walk to my spot. Not out in the open. Sometimes you cant avoid it but the call has to be set so just do it as sneaky as possible, within reason, you dont need to be tippy toeing everywhere, just avoid stepping on sticks and kicking rocks and stuff as you walk. Try and be light footed. like ninja.

2nd question. I usually know im busted when I see a coyote walking away. If the wind is blowing in the direction of the yote you are hunting, you've probably been busted. If you make any movement and it sees you move, you're busted. Basically if you see the coyote moving in any direction that isnt toward you or circling toward your call, then you are busted. Keep in mind you position, your call, wind direction, and sunrise direction. coyotes cant see too well looking into the sun. Also not too great right before sunrise. You can usually tell your busted when the coyote suddenly changes directions and bolts like its startled.

3rd. I ususally go every 3-4 miles between stands. Thats how much territory the cover. Stand can last anywhere from 5-20 min in general but some yote take longer like 30-60 in pressured areas.

There are many many methods to hunting. Some people do speed stands, only spending 6 min a stand and if they dont see anything, they move on. My cousin only likes to stay between 5-10. I live 1.5 hours away and most areas around here you shouldnt expect to see anything before the 30 min mark. One spot I had recently near the lake, one came in at about :30 seconds. Its all about instinct. Play to their instincts. Sometimes when nothing comes, it doesnt mean you didnt call good, could just mean you arent calling at the right time, or in the right area. I believe yote are nomadic, moving from one area to another. Never staying on one area for more than a week or two. Alot of people scout in the daytime looking for poop and tracks and then they will hunt that spot the next morning. Some go out at night and howl for yotes and if they hear a reply they will hunt that spot, if not, they move on. My cousin and I, we just go out into the desert and find spots that dont look like they've been hunted before. we want the yote that run in on us. Not the ones that have been educated and are cautious, but dont get me wrong, we'll take whatever. but anyway, its all a learning game. Good luck. Happy hunting

G

first off welcome to predator hunting, youre in for some great times! I have been hunting those little buggers for awhile but just started seeing some success this year so i havent taken the dive into a great wealth of knowledge just yet, but i like to help the best i can. getting to your stand just needs to be done quitely and try to stay where the wind is in your favor, stick to background cover best you can too. as for being able to tell if youve been busted i dont know about that, possibly if you hear ccoyote vocalization and still arent calling them in you may have been busted but thre are other reasons for vocalization too lol and lastly is there any sign of coyote around where you hunt? such as tracks or scat? next time you go out just pay close attention and look for any signs. i always see tracks in the snow amd mud the best so if you can hit the woods when the white stuff out! hope i helped a little! goodluck!

IN: Be as quit as you can from truck to stand. Don't skyline yourself. If the wind is at your back walking in not good.

Busted: Sometimes they will bark most just leave. Set a time limit on your stands I do 15 minutes if nothing happens I scoot. Wind Wind WIND. Not getting busted is scent cone management and sitting still. Wary yotes will circle around to try and smell what's making all the racket. Watch downwind to try and kill'em before they can smell ya.

Between stands: In the truck a mile on foot 1/4 to 1/2 mile. On foot in rougher terrain the call doesn't carry as far.

When your out look for signs coyotes have been there. Tracks and scat are your best indicators. Go to your hunt area the night before try howling with the caller and listen for them. Hearing some are around will make you feel better. Find a fellow hunter and pay for some gas and beer and they might help ya.

Are you walking that space between stands? Roughly how far away from your vehicle are your stands? How many different stands do you do in a day?

If they're barking at you from a distance, does that mean your busted and they're protecting their territory? I've never seen one at all while hunting, so I never even get to see them walking away.
frown.gif

Welcome to predator hunting! Lots of stands don't produce especially when you first start out.

Couple things to always keep in mind when picking a calling spot.
First is wind. Wind will bust you before anything else. Always try to keep the wind in your face, if you can, but never at your back. Even when it seems perfectly still and calm, there is still "wind" You can squirt chalk from a bottle or just pick up some dry dirt and let it sift to the ground watching close to the direction the dust moves. What ever way goes the dust, you want to hunt 100 to 180 degrees opposite to that.

Next is sun [when it applies] always keep the sun at your back when possible. This makes seeing for you much easier and seeing for the coyote much harder.

Then there is high ground. Always try to use the high ground in your call sets. You don't have to be super high but you should be elevated for clear view. Don't set your self up in a spot where you struggle to see [bushes, rocks, trees] stay up as much as possible.

Always walk into, and set up in your area. If you are covering country with a truck, then leave your truck as silent as possible, and in a place hidden from where you will set up. 100 or more yards from the truck.

Always keep a screen in your back drop. Never skyline a hill. Skirt around the side of a hill far enough down that your head is still below the top of the hill. Use brush trees or whatever is there to keep your outline broken up at all times possible. When the set up location is picked, always make sure that something is behind you. A tree, rock, or some natural formation that will hide your outline.

Also after I have gotten set up, I sit still and quiet for about 10-15 minutes before starting my call. If you were seen going in, giving just a little time before calling helps them to respond.

I hunt in pretty open mountainous country. So my sets are always at least one mile apart. In dense cover like flat forest or flat and heavy brush I would shorten my call distance to 1/2 mile or so. They hear very well and a looong ways away.

Hope some of this makes sense and is helpful. Don't give up. If you know someone with coyote hunting experience see if they will take you out for even just a couple sets and explain what they are doing and why. It will speed up your learning curve.

Also for just coyote, I usually do not call for more than 30 minutes. If bobcat is known in the area waiting another 15 or so minutes can produce a cat. They can come in slow to the call and can be very patient about it.

Always scout your area prior to hunting, Look for scat and tracks. Without sign of coyote there usually is no coyote.

Good luck! Enjoy.

Welcome to PM

go to predator university on you tube tony has some great videos on predator hunting also watch some of Randy Anderson's videos

Welcome to Predator Masters!

Stay after the Coyotes,listen,read and ask questions and enjoy the time outdoors....eventually You will get Yourself a Coyote and it will all be worth the time and effort You put into Hunting,Lots of great info above!

Originally Posted By: Lady_yoteAre you walking that space between stands? Roughly how far away from your vehicle are your stands? How many different stands do you do in a day?

If they're barking at you from a distance, does that mean your busted and they're protecting their territory? I've never seen one at all while hunting, so I never even get to see them walking away.
frown.gif

If they're barking, you're probably busted. I've had one come in after barking, but it was a game of cat and mouse...or so it seemed to me.

As for your other questions, I really suggest you check out a few predator hunting DVDs, namely Tony Tebbe's. Have fun and stay after 'em. If you pay attention to every stand, you'll learn quickly and be in 'em in short time.

Last edited:
I went out again tonight
frown.gif
still nothing. And then it started raining pretty hard so I called it a night. Thank you for all the good tips, I've been taking notes so I won't forget all this good stuff. I have looked up as many videos as I can find on youtube but haven't come across Tony Tebbe's. I'll definitely check that out and others. Thanks again boys.

The other thing I will say is, preparation is key.

Have you pre scouted your hunting sets? You should if your not.

I like to hunt part of a day then scout for future hunts the rest of the day. Look for sign. The fresher the better. You need to know coyotes are where you set and you should have your location picked for wind, visibility, and access before you arrive for your hunt.

Scouting is as much about the hunt as the hunt its self.

Some really good suggestions have been given already. I am fortunate in the fact that there is very little pressure in the area I hunt. Wind and keeping your mode of transportation out of site are probably two of the most important things where I hunt. I could mention movement but to me that is given for any kind of hunting, varmit, big game or waterfowl. Lots of hills and bush where I hunt so concealing our vehicle is fairly easy, within a short distance to our setup. I would say that 90% of the coyotes we get come out in the first five minutes, I rarely stay in any set more than 30 minutes.
One my sons got this one a few weeks back, this one showed itself in about two minutes, pretty common where we hunt.

Originally Posted By: Lady_yoteI went out again tonight
frown.gif
still nothing. And then it started raining pretty hard so I called it a night. Thank you for all the good tips, I've been taking notes so I won't forget all this good stuff. I have looked up as many videos as I can find on youtube but haven't come across Tony Tebbe's. I'll definitely check that out and others. Thanks again boys.

Tony's DVD is called "So, You Wanna Be a Predator Hunter?" and it isn't on YouTube, but he does have some less-informative videos (in terms of calling and stand selection) on YouTube.

I think the most important thing in predator hunting is the wind!! I'll never believe you can fool a canine nose. I know a guy who believes you can put skunk smell around you and the coyotes can't smell you. As a hound owner I've seen a dog get sprayed right in the face while out hunting, kill the skunk and then go on to trail and tree many coons in one night(trashy dogs!:))so in my mind if a dog can take not only getting it sprayed right in his nose and then have it linger there for a while and still smell a little coon I don't believe a little spray sitting around you will cover human scent. Remember no matter how much care we take to keep human odor down it is still there! A blood hound can smell a human track that is days old, I have dogs that can smell where a bear or hog has crossed the road hours before from out of the back of a pickup. A canine nose is an amazing thing. Always be aware of wind direction. To always check the wind I carry some fluffy feathers. I started doing this while sitting in my tree stand bow hunting. I've used the powder stuff but like the feathers because you can just tear off a little bit and it will really show you the wind direction, swirls etc. I've lost count of the times I've been sit up in a bottom or on top of a ridge deer hunting and think the wind was good only to watch that little piece of feather go out about 15 ft and then swirl around and go a direction I was not expecting.

Their attention to detail and movement is amazing to. I had one come trotting straight down a game trail at me while I was about 15 ft up in my deer stand and when it was about 10 yards from me it saw me as I moved my hand to try and take a picture of it. He did not stick around and say cheese! LoL

Use your time in the woods to study and learn your surroundings. Its a BIG advantage to you to know the lay of the land and use it in your favor. I learned while turkey hunting you can not call a turkey through a fence or across a creek no matter how much you sweet talk him so know the land and the most likely routes they will take. I always pay close attention to barbwire fences and look for fur in them to see where things are crossings at and make mental notes of it. I would also study up on the behavior of what ever game you are after. Learn what makes that animal "tick" so to speak and stay one step ahead of it. This goes for whatever game species you may be after. I spend all year looking for deer sign when I am in the woods so come Oct 1st I know where to be. This is my first time to actually give predator hunting a try but I believe it will do you good to know the behavior of the other animals in the woods while in pursuit of them. I've seen first hand how fast a hen turkey yelp will bring them running while turkey hunting in the spring and how quickly they will respond to a doe bleat in the fall.

Don't give up and go as much as you can. Take each day as a gift from God and enjoy your time outdoors!!

Happy hunting and God bless!
Sherry

One thing I learned from Tony Tebbe and from some other forum is to place the caller, where you would of sat if you were using a hand call. You want it upwind or across the wind from your position so they will go downwind of the caller and into your shooting area before they get your scent. I think you may be calling in areas that have been called before. This time of year it is real tough to find uncalled or unhunted areas. Do some networking and scouting you will find areas to hunt, maybe not until next year but get on private land or do something different than the last person who called there.

Keep a contact list and diary, it will save you time later on. Drive dirt roads look for tracks and scat. Work around areas where you find these, know that the dogs who made the tracks may be at the far end of their range at the time you call, so plan on coming back in a few days.

The sport you chose is a difficult one with many disappointments but the feelings of accomplishment are greater if you continue to trudge forward.Wind is the defining factor as many have mentioned but learning to use it to your advantage is what will set you apart from the crowd. I want the wind blowing at my back to a spot that is open and I can see well. If the wind is in your face and the coyote circles downwind as they usually do that puts the coyote behind you. A cross wind works well also. Go to Youtube and search for coyote calling. Tony Tebby ,I believe is under Predator University

Back