Zeroing problem

cmil84

Ok I feel like I have posted something like this before. Anyways this is a long story so hang on to your seats. So anyways the other day I decided I was going to clean my rifle with my new cleaning kit from Walmart. It was that new Bushmaster AR cleaning kit.

So inside this cleaning kit is these little red tubes used to swipe your barrel. I grabbed the wrong tube and it got stuck in my barrel. It took me around three hours but I managed to finally get it out.

Notice the red tubes.

So during the process of trying to get the red tube unstuck from my barrel I had to take my scope off. After I got the tube out I put the AR back together and put the scope back on. Yesterday I decided to go re-zero my rifle. I kept hitting way left. I had adjusted all the way right and was still like 3-4 inches to the left. So I figured I had the scope on wrong somehow and it was starting to get dark. So I decided to call it day and go home to mess with the scope. When I got home I took the scope off and put it back on making sure it was in the mount was in the slots. I took it back out today to try and zero it. Same thing. I was hitting way left and maxed out in adjustments to my right. Cant figure out what is going. Then I was standing there looking down at my rifle when I noticed something strange.

Its as if my barrel is going towards the left. I know this is probably an optical illusion. It looks like my barrel is bent. I know that's not the case it is probably my hand guard that is messed up. Just wondering if you guys have seen anything like this and if this could be why I am shooting to the left.

Also the way I was able to get the red plug out of my barrel was by punching it out. It took so long because I could not punch it out with the wire still connected to it. After about three hours the wire just disconnected from the plug. Also the rifle is still shooting awesome groups. I might be to the left of the target but my groups are hole on top of hole.

Ok now let the gurus have at it. What is going on

Could be the scope

but since you are already having problems, tear the AR down...completely. Take the rings of the scope. The once its completely torn down look over the parts, pins, barrel nut ....everything. Clean it up and re-assemble. You are the one that thinks the barrel is canted as you see it best.

Total time should only be an hour. Also move the scope windage and elevation all the way to around to make sure something is just not binding up internally. Of course I did not see what type scope you have but if its cheap.....then

The "Red tubes" are called jags

Last edited:
Another thing that you could do is pull the scope off and re-center the crooshairs. Then before you mount the scope run the scope a few more inches to the right.(I think because I have only had this happen to one other gun and it was 4-5yrs ago) Then remount the scope and you should have enough adjustment to get to where you need.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinAnother thing that you could do is pull the scope off and re-center the crooshairs. Then before you mount the scope run the scope a few more inches to the right.(I think because I have only had this happen to one other gun and it was 4-5yrs ago) Then remount the scope and you should have enough adjustment to get to where you need.

Now I'm really confused.
How will that give the scope any more adjustment?

FW it is confusing I know but I has worked for me on one scope that I ran out of adjustment. I would bottome the adjustment out and the gun was still shooting left. Took it off and centered the cross hairs with the mirror trick. Still ran out of adjustment by 3in. Took it off and recentered the cross hairs then ran them the opposite way about 6in and ended up putting it back on the gun and sighted it in and still had about 3in of adjustment to the left after it was zeroed. I don't know it the mount was off or what it was but it worked.

If you have access to a 100 yard laser boresite, it might also help you at least eliminate the possibility of the bent barrel.

Sorry ddw,
I still can't understand why it makes any difference adjusting the scope (on fixed bases and rings) if it's on or off the gun.

pyscodog that is what I was thinking. So I took the whole thing apart. I took the upper and lower recievers apart, I took the barrel shroud off, I took the scope off, and I even took the sling stud off. I put it all back together and it does not look as bad now. The sling stud on the left side of the rifle was tightend down to the point where it was digging into the barrel shroud. Now I dont have it on so tight. I am wondering if it was canting the shroud. When I took the shroud off everything looked normal. Then I wonder though if it was canting the shroud how did it not blow up in my face when shooting it? Time will tell. I will keep this post updated. I plan on going out on Sunday to shoot it again. I am just hoping I have it figured out. I just want my AR back. This folks is a good reason to have a back up

Might look at the exit end of your shroud and see if there are any shiny spots where a bullet might have been touching as it leaves the barrel. Also might shoot it with the shroud off to see what happens. Just throwing stuff out there?????? Screws that were touching the barrel might be tweeking it just a little. Once again, just throwing stuff at ya.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any way in hades that barrel is bent, if you separated it from the action, maybe you didn't get it back on and torqued properly.

Was the scope on the upper when you started hammering on the punch? If so, turn your windage all the way each direction then center the reticle in the mirror, try watching as it tracks left and right to see if it is actually moving, I think the rough handling would be my guess.

For what its worth???? My gunsmith will NOT work on your rifle without removing the optics. He says the break to easy. For what its worth??

Originally Posted By: 6724is a barrel shroud a fake can? or is it referring to the float tube?

Fake can from what i gather. Id take it off and throw it away, i personally hav no use for that kind of thing....to each their own though.

If you are putting pressure on the barrel with that nut that is your problem right there. Remove it and cut the bolt down then put it back on.

It most likely did not permanently harm anything but the stud put pressure on the barrel one way and the opposite way on the handguard. That pressure caused some flex in the reciever/handguard/barrel and that caused you poi shift.

Im guessing that sling stud is either a recent addition or it doesnt contact the barrel with the shroud off and the shroud is new

Yes it is a fake can per say. I have it on there just for looks. Yes the sling stud is an addition. I think that is what my problem is. I have however taken all your guys advice and have done all things mentioned. I will take the gun out in the morning and try to zero it again. I will let you know. Thanks for all the advice

yup different flavors is all. Some like mellow yellow some like mt dew.
tt2.gif
thumbup.gif

Back