deer dogs???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So at the start of this thread you didn't know that dogs could be trained to point deer, and within a few days you find out your friend has a 1 year old dog that is already started on pointing and tracking deer?

I think you are full of it and only started this thread for attention. The second you were given the option to buy a dog that fit exactly what you wanted, you back pedaled and turned 180 degrees.

If this dog went out on your first walk and pointed a doe and a buck, surely a picture or video would be no problem to post here.

i am not good with computers and he wasn't really my friend he was a friend of a friend. i am not asking for attention i am asking for answers an info. i have no clue how to post pics or vids plus i don't have a camera or a smart phone. can y'all just leave it at that?

Doesn't sound fishy to me at all. Sounds like a young kid or just a total noob that knows nothing about dogs. That's ok. Some are here to help. Like I said in my last post, YOU'VE GOT YOUR WORK CUT OUT FOR YOU.

I dont think your dog will hunt like the Vizsla in the video. That dog is VERY WELL trained and disciplined. Essentially pointing and holding on deer like it would on birds. I just think the level of difficulty is much higher on deer than birds.

You need a ROCK SOLID pointer if that is the way you want to hunt deer. Watering down a pointer with a hound will not get you there. You are mixing 2 completely different hunting styles there. Mixing 2 breeds does not mean you get the best of both worlds.

If you want to find and jump deer with your dog and shoot the deer on the run, then you've got yourself a good dog for that. He could turn out to be a fantastic hunting dog for other critters as well. Would probably be great on coons and fox. Might make a good decoy dog too. I just have my doubts about the deer.

This has been an interesting thread to say the least. I learned that there are dogs that will quietly point a deer and that if there's a way to hunt something, someone will figure out how to train a dog to assist with the effort.

I don't think the question is fishy either, just unusual for our members. I like questions that make me think and causes me to do a little research. This one did both. But, I don't think a hound/bird dog mix will produce the results you want. But, I've been wrong more than once.
w00t.gif

We run walker hounds to run deer. It's just like rabbit hunting but on a bigger scale. We use 12ga buck for running shots. We train the dogs to only run bucks.

Back