Handgun Scope?

beagler

Thinking about putting a scope on my 44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk. Shooting some hot loads with heavy recoil. Any suggestions for a decent scope?

A Bushnell Elite 2-6X32 would be a great handgun scope for the $$$. They run around $300 I believe. If you're a Leupold fan then the Leupold FX-II 4X28 is a great choice, it's what I have on my S&W 460 XVR.

2013-12-03230352_zps53f353e0.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has been wearing a Bushnell 2-6x Trophy for close to 20 years I believe.

I do have a Bushnell 2-6x Elite coming in today for my T/C Contender.

Leupold VX3 2.5-8x32mm on my RSR .454 Casull. Have never used the 8x except sighting it in, but it has the largest FOV of the Leupold handgun scopes.

454Weigandmount_zpsf132bc0a.jpg

The Ruger rings didn't hold the scope for me, so I had to get the Weigand mount with Burris Signature Z rings. Might not be a problem with a .44 mag, though. Love the scope.

Originally Posted By: KizmoLeupold VX3 2.5-8x32mm on my RSR .454 Casull. Have never used the 8x except sighting it in, but it has the largest FOV of the Leupold handgun scopes.

I would love to see it's FOV compared to my Leupold. It would be nice to have the greatest FOV available. Also it would be nice to have the extra 6 or 8 power for range work if nothing else. Nice scope Kizmo.

This is good timing, Beagler, as I'm looking to buy/trade into my buddy's Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag which I will promptly add a scope.

Being an optics newbie, besides quality rings, what other steps do you folks go through to keep from losing zero with a scope on a heavy recoiling revolver?

Beagler, hope this fits into your thread - not trying to hijack.

+1 Leupold 2x wide fov. The Bushnell is ok but has a fixed eye relief. Nikon 2x also good scope.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LIn a straight power I prefer the 2x leupold on my super blackhawk.

Originally Posted By: beaglerThinking about putting a scope on my 44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk. Shooting some hot loads with heavy recoil. Any suggestions for a decent scope?

Heavy recoil? From a .44 mag? You guys make me smile.
cool.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like the .44. Great caliber for casual plinking.

As far as handgun scopes, I've had great luck from Busnell, Burris, and (oddly enough) the Simmons 2x7 have been great. No one was more suprised than I was at that last one.

The Burris 3x12 is just an excellent scope in a higher power model. I have this on a .223 Contender and it's excellent.

As others have pointed out, the issue with handgun scopes is the limited FOV. It made a huge difference when the scope makers moved up from 28 MM to 32 MM. Bigger is better because the FOV is so limited.

As far as magnification, I really only use 3-4 power normally. It's very difficult under hunting conditions to shoot at 7 power or above. Handgun hunting is more akin to bow hunting IMO. If you aren't willing to make the effort to get close, what's the point? Use a rifle. The whole point of handgun hunting is the challenge.

The key to keeping the scope firmly attached, for me at least, has been Loctite Blue on every thread. Don't forget, even the base screws. Whatever doesn't have Loctite will loosen up.

A proper torque wrench is essential for getting everything consistently tight.

And still, if you're going to be a serious handgun hunter, you have to check everything is tight constantly. Even if this means potentially messing up your zero. What I do is as my summer and early fall practice sessions are coming to a close, I take the scope off, check the base, redo the rings to speck, and then on one of my last trips to the range, I rezero it. This process has already saved me a lost day of hunting as I discovered 2 of the base screws were starting to loosen despite the Loctite.

Grouse

I like the Burris as long as you dont crank it all the way up. Iv had them on all cals with no trouble. If you get over a 44 mag I would get all the rings on it you can. They have a tendencie to move from recoil. I like the Leupy secound no trouble. I just get better FOV with the Burris. With my arm length.

I've gotten good service from a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 (good eye relief, but the FOV changes with magnification) and a Burris 2-7 (decent FOV, but the ER changes with magnification).

I put a weaver 4x28 on my 44 super red hawk been playing with 320 grain lee cast bullets pushed with h110. It has held up just fine. It probably had about a 100 of them through it this fall and winter plus a bunch of 240 xtp's. I even dropped the rig out of my ladder stand in December leaned over and forgot to snap the sholder holster. Hit three limbs on the way down put it across the bench at 60 still held zero. Natches usuuall has this scope for about 160

I would recommend if at all possible to try as many different scopes before purchasing if at all possible . while I was and am a leupold fan from day 1 the 2.5 x 8 leupy just had to much eye relief for my likings and my style of shooting .I found the Burris 3 x 12 more operator friendly in that respect .But as with most all my guns I lean towards high power scopes but I'm opposite I like to increase my distances when useing pistols .My shooting style is off a rest with a single shot pistol AKA Speciality pistols . Try as many as you can if the Leupold fits your style its a great pistol scope .

Originally Posted By: mugadutzhow do I keep scope from turning from recoil ruger rings burris scope 44 mag

Lap the rings, tighten to spec. I’ve never had trouble getting Ruger rings to grip, even on 475L.

Back