Baiting

doubleup -- nice going

i hate dry spells .. i am back in one now - no coyotes for 2 weeks straight.... not as bad as last year.. got a fox and a fisher cat that have been visiting .. i will post a pic later.. the fisher cat is something to watch.

got a question.. anybody hang their bait from a branch or something so it swings a few feet off the ground?
i have thought about it but never tried it. a friend killed some chickens the other day and gave me the leftovers. thought about hanging some of it-- thought it might give them a challenge and something to keep them there a few more minutes especially in the early morning when i was getting my regular sightings.

dd, I don't have any trees where my pile is. Just hundreds of yards of open field behind my house. I think it is a good idea and would try it if I had trees. Pretty sure it would get the scent up and flowing more quickly to the downwind side.

Yep, I agree, getting the scent on the wind could be a good thing. When I use cut-up meat that I store in freezer bags, when it thaws some of the blood drips into the bag. When I bait, I pour some of that blood on tall weeds and branches. It can only help. Not sure about hanging a bait. It could work well, and also it could scare some yotes, but I'm just guessing without experience.

I have always placed satellite baits in the trees to get them to come into the big bait site. I never just place one bait pile. I always "Chum" them in with smaller pieces scattered around the area.

My bait is still dead. I keep getting one coyote that come by every few days looking at bait but won't committe ...seems weary of sensors. Friday night at my camp I went out and noticed that even with the led light covered with tape the light resonates up through the sensor and makes the lens glow red....This was not noticeable indoors but was very evident in the pitch black. So looks like I'll be taking the sensors apart again this weekend.....

I just started hunting over baits. While randomly checking the field I noticed several coyotes that where out in the field but not on the bait or close enough to trip sensors. It got me thinking about what if I hadn't woke up and looked out would they eventually walked over the the bait and tripped sensors or not.

I remembered that trappers use a small caller to help lure animal in. Why not add that to the bait sight when hunting. I ordered one of these.
https://www.crittercollector.com/thecc.html

I did shoot 8 coyotes in 3 nights with more to come.

Got one!

Finally this one made a return trip to the pile after two weeks of only one visit a night. Up until last night, I never had a good chance to get him in the crosshairs.

[img:center][/img]

Weapon was a 300 blkout AR with 110 gr Vmax, not very kind to fur, but they don't go far. This one was a young male about 30 lbs, dropped instantly and never got up. Glad to break the ice for this year!

Congratulations to both of you.
smile.gif
Keep up the good work!

Mine are about 24 - 30 inches, angled slightly downward. We get a lot of snow up here, though so have to be sure they don't get buried. Remember, they might have to be adjusted upwards after you have a good hard base of snow. I get on hands and knees to test and make sure of their range.

Family Guy, keep us posted about that little caller. As to height above the ground, I generally set mine around 12" or so. I used to place them higher,
but had too many critters get by without being detected, things like possums and skunks, and fox too. Now nothing gets through. As well, I have the
area covered with multiple sensors, aimed from different directions.

Lefty, nice going on the coyote. I hope you get a repeat soon enough. Things are really slow here.

Nice rig family guy. Do you use a skirt around the bottom? You're a pretty busy guy.
smile.gif
Eight coyotes in three nights on the bait and then hunt a calling contest in 0 degree night time weather and kill 14. Congratulations on your second place finish in that one. You guys are a lot tougher than I am, and better coyote hunters as well.

Family Guy, now that's pretty neat. I have been wanting to do something like that too. I have a trailer that's 5'x10'.

I got a call yesterday morning at 6:30am coyotes had a deer down on the ice. I took my gear and went to check it out. This is what I found. The coyotes had eaten this deer before killing it as seen in the photo. The deer crawled 50-60' while being eaten. Not a mark on the neck area.

This was a fresh kill. It was snowing lightly when I got there. I waited 2 hrs thats why there is a little snow on the deer.Small button buck

Another example that hunting over bait simply works......... There were 3 coyotes that came in at daylight so I shot the smallest female. Most times the male will stick around or come back looking for the female but I was not so lucky this time. Maybe later

Female deer killer down.

Nature is brutal and violent to say the least. They would do the same to an injured or disabled human given the right opportunity. Sometimes it is possible to go back and call the next day with lonesome howls and draw the other one in, but since three of them appeared the one you shot may have been a young female held back by the mated pair just in case.

Congratulations and a good job of removing this one.

Another month with nothing but possums and buzzards. Even the possums are getting scarce. I've walked most of the 40 acres around my place and have seen very few tracks in the snow. Last week I did see some fox prints in the snow, it came up to some bait (turkey carcass) in the corner of the yard (old bait site) but would not come in to eat. I was lazy when I put it out and left it on the baking pan, I guess that spooked it some. I walked all around the perimeter of my property after the snow last week, and about a 50 yard radius around the bait site, and saw absolutely nothing. No predator, no prey, just a couple of small bird tracks. Nothing but deer tracks in the snow today.

The baiting has been slow this year for most of us with a few exceptions of course. You just have to stay with it and some will move back into the area. Weren't you seeing them pretty good in the early fall? Did you get your shooting lane cut out to suit you and your shooting station rigged?

I know 6mm06 has experienced this the past two years. He will have coyotes during the summer and early fall, and then they just about disappear until sometime in February or March and then a few will move in again. He usually does pretty good in the spring. I've experienced the same thing but to a lesser degree.

Back