7mm 120gr Nosler ballistic tips in 7mm-08

swift one

I am trying a this pill out in my 7/08 and was wondering how you guys have had them perform on deer size game. Short and long range. Also, has anyone ever sent one of these pills through a song dog at 7/08 velocities? If so, how bad did it tear up the dog? LOL.

Last edited:
I've used this load a bunch of times. Quick kills on coues, bears, coyotes and jack rabbits. Really accurate in my Model 7. I've killed stuff out to 300 yards.

I load the 120g nosler BT in mine, but have yet to use it hunting. At the range I hit the 400 yard steel with authority consistantly with no problem.

Thnaks for the replies. Keep em coming. I have read from other sites that they are some darn good Mule deer and under bulets in the 7mm-08 out to and some say past 600yds. Especially the Speed Goats.

005-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

025xd.jpg

Originally Posted By: swift oneNice rig you got there. 7/08?
Yes, 7-08, all shot with the 120 Ballistic Tips at 3175.

Same gun, but now's on it's 3rd or 4th stock.....and the last one. Don't have a pic of it right now to show it off.

Have used the 120 Ballistic Tip a lot in my 7/08.
Taken 3-4 whitetail, 5 red deer, 1 sitka buck. All 1 shot DRT. The bullet works great! Longest shot around 350, on the red deer stag, as close as 35yds. on the whitetail.
I think it is a tougher bullet than the 140 NBT in my opinion. I think you will be pleased with it.
I have wanted to try them in a 7 mag. but have not yet.
Maybe some of the guys will give us a 7 mag report.

What powders are you guys using with your 120 grains? I have Varget and Big Game to choose from right now, but powder isn't TOO difficult for me to find right now.

Shoot them out of a rem. 700 classic 7mm. All I can say, is on north eastern white tail I think it shakes every bone in their body. Than dead right there.
w00t.gif

Take care, Willie

I have used them in a number of 7mm-08 rifles that I shoot and they are stellar. However, if I were hunting only whitetails I would recommend the 139g Hornady SP. I don't know what it is about that bullet but it just plain thumps 'em.

Originally Posted By: UncleDocI have used them in a number of 7mm-08 rifles that I shoot and they are stellar. However, if I were hunting only whitetails I would recommend the 139g Hornady SP. I don't know what it is about that bullet but it just plain thumps 'em.
I couldn't agree any more! The 139 hornady is a hammer

My brother and I both use 7mm08 with nosler 120 BT. A model 7 and 700 rem, plus a kimber all shoot deer stone dead to 300 yards. I like reloader 15, my brother IMR 4064 I've tried other powder and they all shot very well. Wrecks a coyote really bad!

All I use in my 7mm08s. Varget, RL15, H414, all give pretty good results depending on your individual rifle. 48gr of Big Game in mine is extremely accurate and what I use.

Reloader 15 is impossible to find, govm't is using it in all their sniper rounds.

We shoot the 130g Speer BTSP with 42.0g of IMR 4895, Rem 9 1/2, accuracy will put a smile on your face, and this bullet really does a job on deer. We have converted over a dozen hunters to the 130g Speer BTSP in the 7/08, really negates the need in a magnum.

Quote: Reloader 15 is impossible to find, govm't is using it in all their sniper rounds.

My store has about 10lbs of this stuf right now.

I have yet to kill anything with the 120gr NBT. It makes teeny little groups at 100yds, and shoots sub MOA out to 450 for me. At 200yds however, I am stumped. It's all over the place. I mean 4-5" groups. I dont get it. And I have only had one other bullet do this in my 7/08- the 120gr Vmax. I dont know if I need to tweek the load or if my rifle is telling me that it doesnt like 120gr pills.

Back