FoxPro Shockwave battery questions

SouthTXBowhunter

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on Shockwave, to upgrade from my Fury. I'm curious about batteries? With my Fury, I've always used plain old AA batteries we buy in bulk for the ranch. I can run that Fury forever on a set of 8 AA's. Now I read that the shockwave is better with fancy batteries

1. I have never used alkaline batteries in my Shockwave so I can't say for sure. I have read that they don't last long if you use high end volume or hunt in COLDER weather.

2. I have used all the FoxPro battery set ups. I have used 10 Free Floating FoxPro 2300's, I have used the welded battery pack. They welded will give you a little longer run time but you do have to charge them externally whereas the free floating 2300's can be charged internally.

IMO If your going to run a FoxJack3 on your Shockwave as I do, you might want to use the 2300 free floating. Both give good run times and the welded battery pack comes with a better charger.

3. The Lithium Battery pack is my number one choice. Cuts the weight in half and doubles the run time of the Shockwave. The Lithium Battery Pack comes with a really good charger also. They also have to be charged externally. The run time is unreal with this set up.

Yote Yoda USMC

Don't put "JUNK" batteries in a $600.00 e-caller!

You get what you pay for & nothing is (Batteries) FREE! You will notice a change in sound/clarity when using CHEAP/FREE batteries.....

Thanks Yoda! That's exactly what I needed.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisDon't put "JUNK" batteries in a $600.00 e-caller!

You get what you pay for & nothing is (Batteries) FREE! You will notice a change in sound/clarity when using CHEAP/FREE batteries.....

They're not "junk" batteries. We run all 57 feeders on the ranch with them because they're actually really good alkaline batteries. They're "free" because the ranch owner pays for them. I've sure killed a lot of animals with that caller and I use it year round for all sorts of hunting/guiding.

There are a lot of times you 'get what you pay for' but not always. Sometimes things are just plain overpriced.

Let me Re-Phrase!

Don't put free Alkaline batteries in your e-caller!

Putting Alkaline batteries will drain fast and they will not produce a quality sound at higher volumes.

Just my opinion, I started out with Alkaline in my shockwave, big mistake as far as sound & longevity.......

Alkaline photo batteries last an amazingly long time in the Shockwave. Far longer than in any of the other callers. The remote? Not so much. I use lithium AA's in the remote.

I wouldn't recommend alkaline batteries in any ecaller. They just won't hold up in extreme cold or when doing a lot of calling with a lot of volume.

Originally Posted By: possumalI wouldn't recommend alkaline batteries in any ecaller. They just won't hold up in extreme cold or when doing a lot of calling with a lot of volume.
X2

Originally Posted By: beaglerOriginally Posted By: possumalI wouldn't recommend alkaline batteries in any ecaller. They just won't hold up in extreme cold or when doing a lot of calling with a lot of volume.

Have you guys tried alkaline in the SW or are you making your statements based on other callers? I did switch to Lithiums when it got below zero but when the temps were moderate, the alkalines lasted for days in the Shockwave. Much longer than any other e-caller I've used them in. The first several sets of alkalines only got changed because of the situation. The battery life of the SW with alkalines is actually impressive.

South TX, Free batteries, man you should be telling us how they run instead of asking. When I first bought my unit and my rechargeables were not delivered yet, I ran some basic alkalines in -5F. They didn't last the whole day in those temps, but I was happy with the performance when they were new.

Now, South TX probably doesn't have -5 F temps. I would grab 36 of those batteries and go have fun and see what you think. Three changes for the caller itself and two changes for the TX1000.

I did have some problems when I first bought my recharables on the first charge I put into them. MY fault in not understanding the particular Eneloop batteries that I bought and the new charger. Now the Eneloop XX batteries and the Maha 801 do a fantastic job in very cold temps. While I like my $175 investment in multiple rechargeables, FREE sounds awfully good to me. Free sounds like I would give it a try.

I go by FoxPro's recommendations and my personal experience. Like Clay34 said, if I had a bunch of free batteries, I might use them, but I wouldn't rely on them performing like rechargeables. The lithium rechargeables are really great for the Shockwave, and I have run a set in the CS-24C with good performance.

That's what I thought.... The lithiums do last forever in the SW. I've had a hard time getting two full days out of the alkalines in the TX-1000 remote, however. I've gone to lithiums exclusively in it and I get a pretty darn good deal on my alkalines as well.
wink.gif

Back