Magpul STR stock vs CTR

Dultimatpredator

I just picked up a P415 with a CTR stock and am going to switch over to the STR being there is a cheek weld on it that is awesome for lining up my face for scope use. This is the problem I have had with ARs in the past. I could never get a comfortable cheek type buttstock till I tried this one. cabelas had the STR camo P415 with the STR that I tried out when I bought my NP3 but I just didn't care for the camo exclusive. Anyone run the STR? I'm gonna order a black one today to match . eBay has the mil spec 470 black for 89.00 shipped. Anyone know if I can pick one up cheaper?

I just ordered a Magpul STR for my son. It will be arriving Monday. The cheapest prices we could find was at JoeBob's (you'll save about $4 that you can use on something else there). Add something to make it over $90 and you get the free shipping. We added a box of Z-max .223 (also cheaper than any where else)and made it over $100 and got free shipping and a free T-shirt. It was also shipped out the same day we ordered it.

My son wanted the enhanced cheek weld and also the option of battery storage that the STR offers over the CTR. There is also the ACS that my older son has that more storage compartments but a little "bulkier" look than the STR and CTR. I will probably upgrade the stock on my AR to the STR or ACS in the near future. I had added the CAA stock saddle to my standard M4 stock years ago to achieve the same type cheek weld. It makes it a little more comfortable to use and give you some storage.

Again, you can't get better service or prices than JoeBobs in my opinion, so give them a look.

Last edited:
I've used both the STR and the ACS-L.
I much prefer the ACS-L. The STR was to bulky for me. The ASC-L had a sufficient cheek weld and was much trimmer.

I sold the mid lenght that it was on and now am back to running UBRs and CTRs as well as an A1 stock.

Last edited:
I just installed an ACS on my rifle. Great stock so far. A vast improvement over the POS 6 position that was on it. Locks up tight and no rattles what so ever. Money well spent IMO.

The STR is nice, but I don't have a need for the battery tubes and it is a bit too wide for my liking. The ACS-L was less bulky, but still had a good cheek weld.

Back