Sling mount. Bottom or side?

Houser in NC

I've had a Hogue forend on my 6.8 for a few years now but have never installed sling swivels on it. One reason is that I don't like slings. They hang on everything and they're noisy.

Well, it's getting to the point where I just about have to have a sling to make it easier to carry the rifle and everything else with me to the stand.

I had made up my mind, like most people, to install the sling stud on the bottom of the forend. That's the way it's always been done, right? Then I read a post the other day where a guy has his mounted on the side of the forend. His point being that it makes the rifle a lot more comfortable when carrying slung across your back. And if slung in the front, it puts the rifle in a more ready position.

If any of you have your sling side mounted I'd like to hear any pros or cons about it. Pics would be nice too.

Thanks

I personally like mine side mount. I don't carry mine across my back, however, I carry mine across the front of my body with the muzzle down so I can get the rifle up to the fire position quickly if I jump something going to or from the stand.

The only thing that's uncomfortable is the extended charging handle but that's no big deal. I have a picatinny sling mount on my front gas block.

Originally Posted By: cdubya_38The only thing that's uncomfortable is the extended charging handle but that's no big deal. I have a picatinny sling mount on my front gas block.

Haha. I know what you mean. It didn't take me long to see that I didn't like the extended charging handle sticking out and catching on my tree stand and other things. Took it off and put the OEM back on.

I like the side sling mount. I first had a plain round free float tube, and put on one swivel stud. It started on bottom, then tried it on the side. Liked the scope/grip not hitting me in the kidney, added another swivel stud on the bottom for when I put the bipod on for range use. I also feel like the weight being distributed differently reduced sling slippage and kept it on my shoulder better, and that AR at that time weighed about 12.5lbs. Worked just fine carrying it around Arizona mountains, but I still decided to put that rifle on a diet.

I really like my side mounted sling. Its on an RRA hunter, with a QD. I bought an $7 sling from midway, works great. It feels more comfortable to me to have the gun sit flat sideways, than with the pistol grip toward your back. Try one

I got the sling stud side mounted this morning. So far I think it's going to be a lot more comfortable and useful this way. Even my thin nylon strap feels pretty good.

I'm considering a VTAC sling to go on it now.

Update-

After installing the sling studs on the side of my AR last Friday I got to try it out while making a couple quick stands Saturday evening. I ordered a VTAC sling and don't have it yet but I adjusted my plain nylon strap to try out the setup.

I always use a small pack to carry my Foxpro, critter, jacket, etc. Carrying the pack on my back and my rifle across my chest was really comfortable hiking to and from my stands. I also had to cross a couple fences and the rifle stayed flat and snug against my chest. Overall I must have hiked a couple miles and everything went great.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Much more comfortable to carry for sure. I've gone that route on the last few bolt guns too for carrying, but I still keep a bottom mount option for shooting slung up. Just feels more natural for me.

Originally Posted By: HPWMuch more comfortable to carry for sure. I've gone that route on the last few bolt guns too for carrying, but I still keep a bottom mount option for shooting slung up. Just feels more natural for me.

How did you side mount it to a bolt gun? Sounds good to me.

The last few stocks I got (manners) I had the side flush cup put in. You could probably put one on other stocks. The flush cups stay out of the way and use the quick detach slings.

Have you thought of using a single point sling and adding the sling mount to the buffer tube receivers back plate?

They make one from Magpul that you can install. That's what I did. I like the way the AR15 hangs up front and can be brought up quickly to shoot.

The only draw back that I can see if if you have to knell down to pick up something the rifle's barrel can hit the ground and get mud inside the end of the barrel. So that's a very bad thing.

But you can get a multi mission sling from Magpul that allows either a single point sling mount or a double point sling mount. I added a Magpul sling mount that attaches to the Picatinny Rails on the end of my Barrel Shroud. The Barrel Shroud is 12" long and has three short 3" long Picatinny rails that can be added to the end. One on the bottom and two on the sides. Or you can lake them off. I added the sling mount to the side rail and it's comfortable IMHO. The ring itself points out to the Left Side of the 3" long rail that's attached to the bottom of the Barrel Shroud.

I've got the Ambush Firearms AR15 in 5.56 cal.

www.ambushfirearms.com
www.magpul.com

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Have you thought of using a single point sling and adding the sling mount to the buffer tube receivers back plate?

They make one from Magpul that you can install. That's what I did. I like the way the AR15 hangs up front and can be brought up quickly to shoot.

The only draw back that I can see if if you have to knell down to pick up something the rifle's barrel can hit the ground and get mud inside the end of the barrel. So that's a very bad thing.

But you can get a multi mission sling from Magpul that allows either a single point sling mount or a double point sling mount. I added a Magpul sling mount that attaches to the Picatinny Rails on the end of my Barrel Shroud. The Barrel Shroud is 12" long and has three short 3" long Picatinny rails that can be added to the end. One on the bottom and two on the sides. Or you can lake them off. I added the sling mount to the side rail and it's comfortable IMHO. The ring itself points out to the Left Side of the 3" long rail that's attached to the bottom of the Barrel Shroud.

I've got the Ambush Firearms AR15 in 5.56 cal.

www.ambushfirearms.com
www.magpul.com

Thanks for your suggestion.

When I got serious about putting a sling on my AR I researched the use of two point and single point slings. I decided that a two point was what I needed. Having the rifle snug to my chest would keep it out of the way when walking, crossing fences, bending over and kneeling.
It sounded like a single point sling is better suited for tactical applications.

Back