.204 Ruger scope ideas?

I tried first to search for this subject and nothing popped up... Any who, I'm building a .204 AR and I know this round is flat shooting at pretty far distances and I would be using for longer shots on crows or groundhogs and some paper punching.

What power of scope would ya recommend for the .204?

I have a new in the box 36x44 I was thinking about using but maybe a little too much power.

Thanks for the replies!

FWIW I've had a 6.5 X 20 VX3 mounted on my 204 since I bought it back in '05 or '06, whatever was the first year the 204 came out. I just took it off a couple weeks ago and am replacing it with a 3.5 X 10 Sightron I had in my safe. I use the 204 almost exclusively for groundhogs and my longest kill has been 395 yds. After years of shooting it I've about decided about 350 is about max for consistent hits with this caliber and if it's flat calm you might stretch it out to 400. I'm sure someone will argue they have made longer shots, but it seems to me that even 400 requires perfect conditions or a lot of luck to hit a target the size of a groundhog with a bullet as light as the 204 uses. By my reckoning 10X is plenty of power for 400 or less. Besides, I have a better use for the 6.5 X 20.

This is just my opinion. You might see the target a little better with a higher mag scope but that doesn't make the bullet fly any straighter.

Depends on how close you plan to start shooting. I really like the 5.5-22X's, 6-18X's and 6.5-20X's so I can zoom out to locate a target then crank it up to shoot.

4.5-16x or 6-18x. midwayusa has both those in the Nikon line on sale right now.
I have 2 6-18s & 1 4.5-14 on my .223s and 6mm. Not a problem hitting p-dogs at 700yard with either.
On my 20 Practical I ran the 6-18x & was a perfect match.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeBudget ?

Not really but no Nightforce lol... More leaning towards Nikon price range.

Sounds like the 6-18 will be the winner. But any other opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Back