Never Used a Scope

wileyote

Hello i just joined PMF site. sorry if there is a thread my dumb a$$ didn't find on this subject! but here it goes.
All of my rifle xp has been open site shooting.I am going to get serious bout hunting the yotes. I have just got a Savage 10/110 predator hunter max1 in 243. So my question to the pros. What is the scope of choice & reticle to go with for fast follow up shots, and shooting in the 250 yd range ( i have never shot w/ a scope, but i can shoot, and will spend my dues practicing w/ my new rifle be for going on a hunt) I dont think i want to try mil dot. I dont believe i need to spend more than $ 450 for a scope?
open to all but reality is all to me! thanks, kill me softly! lol

a 2-7 or 3-9 is best. I like the lower power and shoot a 1-5 or 2-7. Biggest mistake of a new coyote hunter is too much power. Most shots are inside 150 yards. For myself I would say inside 75 yards. Even in the wide open desert here the dogs can just slink through the low ground and pop up at the last moment.

Some scopes to consider are weaver classic, leupold vx3, and sightron.

My primary gun has a vx3, but guns that I use less often get weaver. A weaver is all that is needed but a vx3 2.5-8 is nice if you have the coin.

As my post said i know nothing bout scopes, my research has told me low power is the way? have heard alotta good reviews of the weaver grand slam, reticle is something i have a big concern. leupold vx3 w/plex reticle? heard that was a goto scope also! not any idea what reticle to go with. i just wanna bag the song dogs!

Last edited by a moderator:

"leupold vx3 w/plex reticle?"

Great choice. You can find good deals on ebay. Leupold fixes free for life, new or used.
Glad the hear someone else uses iron sights.

win94_zps0bb734a3.jpg

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660 a 2-7 or 3-9 is best. I like the lower power and shoot a 1-5 or 2-7. Biggest mistake of a new coyote hunter is too much power. Most shots are inside 150 yards. For myself I would say inside 75 yards. Even in the wide open desert here the dogs can just slink through the low ground and pop up at the last moment.

Some scopes to consider are weaver classic, leupold vx3, and sightron.

My primary gun has a vx3, but guns that I use less often get weaver. A weaver is all that is needed but a vx3 2.5-8 is nice if you have the coin.

Everything that needed to be said was said above.

As far as Weaver is concerned, not all Weavers are created equal. If it doesn't have the "Micro-Trac" erector system, it's not a Weaver worth owning IMO. Stick with the Weaver Classics and be champion of the universe.

Chupa

Well it seems the VX3 and Zeiss get alotta mention from all the reading around the net,I guess next step is to get my hands on 1 or the other to feel more confident in what I buy, wouldnt want any buyer remorse, and have to buy another right off the bat!! lol but then i'd have 2 haha!

Originally Posted By: love the huntWell it seems the VX3 and Zeiss get alotta mention from all the reading around the net,I guess next step is to get my hands on 1 or the other to feel more confident in what I buy, wouldnt want any buyer remorse, and have to buy another right off the bat!! lol but then i'd have 2 haha!

Your on the right track, no buyers remorse with either of those you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterI'd stay away from eBay for scopes but that's just me. Several years ago there was a scammer selling Chinese knock offs of Leupolds on eBay and taking people for a lot of money.

They were selling them for $79-$150. Only a fool would buy one. I have bought a few scopes on ebay.
I have had no problems. Heck they run scams everywhere. It is only a fool and his money.

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: FurhunterI'd stay away from eBay for scopes but that's just me. Several years ago there was a scammer selling Chinese knock offs of Leupolds on eBay and taking people for a lot of money.

They were selling them for $79-$150. Only a fool would buy one. I have bought a few scopes on ebay.
I have had no problems. Heck they run scams everywhere. It is only a fool and his money.

Since they still have them on the site from time to time I figured it would be worth mentioning. Especially to a person who starts a thread titled "never used a scope"

I just assumed since he had never used one that he had never purchased one either. Since he had probably never purchased one I figured he might be warned of it since someone suggested he look on fleabay. Its not just a fool and his money, sometimes its the unsuspecting and uninformed also.

BTW.. Buy it now pricing on some of those were higher than 150 bucks.

Nixon Coyote Special if the gun is going to be used primarily for hunting. IMHO there is no better hunting reticle. If you will be punching a lot of paper then Leopold, Zeiss, don't overlook Vortex.

I thank everybody for the information and replies. I have time to do more research and find a scope, seeing as I won't be doing any hunting in the near future, because I am working 6 12 hour shifts for the last 6 months. I did catch an interesting thread on the forum. Leupold versus Zeiss. I would just like to get my hands on either one so I could look through them, handle, visually compair ( preferrably mounted on a gun outdoors) but nonetheless I will have to decide. and yes thank you for the whole eBay warning, some of those sellers really know how to play people. I guess sometimes it just comes down to this one that one, Ford Country or Chevy country haha! I guess from what everyone says I couldn't go wrong with either one. oh did I mention I'm a GMC guy
wink.gif
thanks again you guys are great !

are there any members that can give me any of the dislikes of their particular model whether it is a VX 3 or a conquest? I'm trying to cram as much optic knowledge as I can in a short time, I can't remember the last time I've read so many post on the subject, I might also add I will be teaching my youngest son how to use a scope. so something that will be easy for him to target in also.

Hey love to hunt

I was in the same boat as you. Got my first scope in May. It was a vortex crossfire and didn't like it but it was cheap. Second scope was a Zeiss and didn't like the retical but the glass was nice. My third scope is in the mail and I do believe I have found the right scope for me. It's costly when you don't get the right scope. The are some good options on here from guys that know what there talking about. Simple fact is if you get something cheap eventually you will won't something better. So why not get something real nice to begin with. It would have saved me a bunch of money.

Last edited:
Back