.17 WSM WTH

I agree that would make a great little gun for us stuck in rimfire only areas.

Originally Posted By: 50vmaxshooterI'm wondering when and if someone is now going to make a 22 super magnum rimfire. Since the 17wsm is taking off so well.

I would like a 17 WSM bolt action. But Savage's gun is F-ugly for sure. I can live with the new plastic stock and the odd bolt knob, but the alien shaped pointy bolt is too un-conventional for my likes. Why did they design it like that?? It looks silly, like the Pope's hat.

Savage-22-magnum-scope-e1374768208424_zps785e0087.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI would like a 17 WSM bolt action. But Savage's gun is F-ugly for sure. I can live with the new plastic stock and the odd bolt knob,

Savage-22-magnum-scope-e1374768208424_zps785e0087.jpg

That odd bolt knob has a purpose too. It aids in keeping your boot from slipping off while closing the bolt.

Originally Posted By: JWGYeah I was hoping for a bolt. Besides the Savage for sure. Winchester or Browning really should get on this stuff. The T-bolt or a Model 52! How about Tikka/Sako?

+1

Or Anschutz

Anschutz won't touch the .17WSM. However, their 1727 would be a great platform for the WSM caliber (if it could handle the pressures). If you know Anschutz, then you may recognize this gentleman showing one of my writers how the action works in the 1727 - .17HMR caliber:

1727.jpg

With regards to Savage, I think we may be seeing some interesting things from them soon...

Eric
cool.gif

The b-mag is truly a heap. I have one unfortunately until a better rifle comes out. I would love to see a stainless Ruger 77 or if I could get my hands on a 17 wsm AR that would work to. My father in law had some company in I believe South Dakota make a Encore 17 wsm barrel. They were able to off set it some how to to where the center fire firing pin would strike the rim. It's a slick set up and very accurate but a single shot doesn't turn me on what so ever.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG Why did they design it like that?? It looks silly, like the Pope's hat.

LMAO!! Not a Catholic, eh, DD?!?! LOL!

Originally Posted By: FurhunterThat odd bolt knob has a purpose too. It aids in keeping your boot from slipping off while closing the bolt.

It looks like it might be easier on your boot than on your hand! Ugly covers it - 'course, I still think the same thing when I see my Rem 600 with that ridiculous bolt handle thingy.

The thing really holding everyone back from jumping on the 17WSM bandwagon is that it requires a whole new action size for which nothing else fits - too big for the other rimfires yet, and too small for the 223+. That kills profit. Savage and Winchester ammo co. are taking a risk here, and in a down economy, an even bigger risk. Now, bring it out in a year or two in a .224 and a .204 dia. - you may have just made the 22 mag and the 17 HMR old news. Esp. if those bbl's would switch cal to cal. like their centerfire guns. JMHO.

Right now, cheap guns that go bang and are decently accurate are what is selling at a profit - big $$ guns are only interesting in reality right now to a few of us - that doesn't equate to selling enough volume to stay profitable and afloat. I'm starting to wonder that if the libs lay back on the gun control for a few years, if our gun market doesn't crash- face it - pappy used to have one to three guns usually - MANY US citizens now have a safe full. We once thought that you could never build too many houses either. Again, JMHO.

Originally Posted By: Tom in WIOriginally Posted By: Eric_MayerAnschutz won't touch the .17WSM.

Why not?

Not enough manufacturers of ammunition.

Too new. No proven sales.

Cost to develop or re-engineer a new rifle.

#1 is probably the main reason for now.

Eric
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: millerjqOriginally Posted By: spiderman Coming from Savage....
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533080

Thanks! I will be keeping an eye out for one of these. Guess I will be trading the 17 HMR in after all!

Actually, I take that back ^^

After more research, a 204 is a way better round to go with (for me) Also because I looked into the 17 Hornet, but the ammo supply is non existent around here.

Last edited:
I just got a bmag .17wsm and shot it a bit yesterday....not overly impressed . It was windy so could only shoot to 50yds. I was getting roughly 1" groups. I'll have to shoot it some more on a better day and when I have more ammo.....
This wouldn't be my 1st 1st choice for a gun but here in mass we are limited to rim fire .22LR or less at night( they consider .17 rim fire less)
I'd should suffice To 125 yds or so

Back