What is your go to powder and bullet for the 44 mag ?

I cast and shoot the Ranch Dog 265 gr bullets. The gas checked bullets are pushed by 22gr of H110 and the plain based bullets go with 10 gr of Unique. Both are sized to 433 to fit the Marlin 1894 and that size works great out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk also.

Key

Hornady 240XTP for deer,with 2400 or Win296. 296 is faster but does not have the flexability of the 2400. Winchester lists a specific load for your bullet and does not recommend a reduced load with 296.

For comfortable shooing cast loads I use a 215-240 cast bullet with Unique at 900-1000 fps. These are relative boring loads (not a lot of WOW FACTOR) but they "git R done" for me.

I have slugged the chamber throats and bores on both my Redhawks. .4315 groove dia and .433 dia throats on both guns (+/-.0001.) My go to load for both is the Lee 310 gr gas check bullet sized to .433 from clip on wheel weights with 4 oz of tin to 20 lbs lead. I drop them from the mold straight into a bucket of cold water to harden. 21.5 gr H-110, Federal 150 (standard large pistol) primer, all stuffed into Federal cases trimmed to 1.280. That bullet has two crimp grooves and I crimp them long. I average just over 1200 fps from my 5.5 inch gun and get a bit more from the 7.5. Both guns will print 1.5 inches at 50 yds off sand bags.

Some sources claim that H-110 and 296 are the same powder. My experiences have not found that to be true. It could be attributed to different powder lots. I have good quantities of both, the H-110 being older. I use a standard primer as opposed to the recommended magnums because I get more consistent velocity with the standards. There isn't a deer, elk or black bear that will stop that load. I've shot a lot of critters with this load. They are either DRT or I see them fall within 50 or so yards. Stevie Wonder does my tracking.

Originally Posted By: LongnkrnchW296 or H110 is what I use in my Ruger carbine. Can't tell much difference between the two with 240grn XTPs

They are the same powder. Any difference is due to lot to lot variation.

During much of the 80's I shot IHMSA with a 44mag. The load was a Sierra 240JHP and 24-something gr. of W296.....it was pretty much the standard load back then. Some guys started using H110 (almost the same but slightly different) and thought it was a little less temperature sensitive.

Originally Posted By: 76_michaelI think I,m gonna have to try some H110 if i ever see any on a shelf powder around here is hit miss

When you get your H110 do NOT down load it! It gets crazy when theres not enough pressure. Its a great powder though!

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHOriginally Posted By: 76_michaelI think I,m gonna have to try some H110 if i ever see any on a shelf powder around here is hit miss

When you get your H110 do NOT down load it! It gets crazy when theres not enough pressure. Its a great powder though!

Thanks for the info

Speer 240gn jhp use ADI 2205 same burn rate as 2400, just got some Hornady FTX 225GN to use in the Marlin and still developing a load with these.

Back