Fraternal Order of Forster (Bonanza) Co-Ax Owners Unite!

Quote:anyone have a shortcut or procedure for adjusting the 3 jaws on the priming mechanism? ...I set mine by raising the primer cup with an unprimed case in place so that the primer shaft enters the primer cup...Holding everything in place at that point, adjust your jaws to fit the case, starting with the rear jaw first, then setting the ones on the side..

You need to do an initial set, with a case in place, of the jaws where they are just snug enough to allow finger pressure movement and the final adjustment is made with the primer ram in the pocket..

Originally Posted By: ilmoI talked to Forster..... The priming mechanism that used shellholders is on the older model b-1 press..... I have a b-3.... anyone have an older b-1 press for parts?

The Jaws I still cannot get to function properly..... . I have tried these with more tension and less tension.... lube and no lube...I have polished the edges of the parts with a sharpening stone to remove any rough edges...

I am supposed to send them in to forster.... He said they would make them work properly..... let's hope....
hope they can figure it out......

anyone have a shortcut or procedure for adjusting the 3 jaws on the priming mechanism?

Can you take your jaws apart and take pics? I had issues with mine not spreading wide enough to accommodate the brass and it turns out I reassembled the jaws incorrectly had some gasket type piece upside down. Can't remember the name of it?

I'm digging that handle! Is that homegrown? If not where did you procure it?

Originally Posted By: Cotton243 Her she is. Big thanks for inlinefab!

Originally Posted By: CrossHareI'm digging that handle! Is that homegrown? If not where did you procure it?

Originally Posted By: Cotton243 Her she is. Big thanks for inlinefab!

Forget the handle... I wanna know about the lighting mod!

All mods came from Inline Fabrication has all of these mods. Dan Clausen in a class act. I did have some trouble getting my products but he worked fast to get me what I needed.

It took me about ten seconds to realize I didn't like the primer seater and my jaws have worked flawlessly for over ten years so no technical help here, but I do love my Co-Ax.

The only problem I have had with my Co-Ax. is one time changing the jaws a spring went flying across the room never to be found. I don't know how it happened, but now keep a extra set of springs.

I bent the plate that encases the jaws/spring. Ended up ordering a non-Forster aftermarket piece to replace it. We'll see how it goes. Those are some killer mods tha is for posting up!
smile.gif

Mine will be here Monday. It's my first press and I can't wait. I got a notice from MidwayUsa that they were back in stock yesterday at 5:44pm and ordered at 5:58pm. I must have got the last one because they were showing out of stock again right after I ordered.....glad I didn't wait. They had $20 off a order of $125 or more, so that was a little bonus.

I'm looking to get a new single stage press and am considering the forster coax, CH4D H-press, and redding. I've have never been around the forster coax. So what makes it such a standout?

Thanks for any input!

Originally Posted By: NV BillI'm looking to get a new single stage press and am considering the forster coax, CH4D H-press, and redding. I've have never been around the forster coax. So what makes it such a standout?

Thanks for any input!

I've only ever used the Co-Ax press so I don't know too much about the others except what I read on various online forums. Being a new reloader I will say it full length sizes cases with ease and seems to accurate ammo. I only use my ammo for hunting not competitive shooting. So far it's helped take down a bull Moose and a Mule Deer doe, LOL!

I was bored the other night so I neck sized a bunch of stainless tumbled once fired Nosler 300 WSM brass thru a Forster neck sizing die with a Hornady lock ring. It doesn't take much effort to full length size or neck size off a Co-Ax press. I'm hoping to shoot an Elk in the draw season this fall or a Moose in the regular season.

6FA0D1F5-3CBF-4450-8703-597FB577EE20_zpsgugrutyw.jpg

ilmo said:
I talked to Forster..... The priming mechanism that used shellholders is on the older model b-1 press..... I have a b-3.... anyone have an older b-1 press for parts?

The Jaws I still cannot get to function properly..... . I have tried these with more tension and less tension.... lube and no lube...I have polished the edges of the parts with a sharpening stone to remove any rough edges...

I am supposed to send them in to forster.... He said they would make them work properly..... let's hope....
hope they can figure it out......

I have dealt with Forster CS and they are top notch. I will bet you they will figure it out for you. Rick

The Original B1 Co-Ax press used the Shellholder approach for the Priming function.
A new style B1 # 028000 Co-Ax Priming System Upgrade, can be ordered from Forster which will improve your reloading life.
I began my reloading journey in 1968 with an original Bonanza B1 I now (2016) have Qty 2 Forster B3's
I equipped them with the InLineFabrication Mounting system and I ordered the Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax Jaw Holder Upgrade this solved many of the case holding and alignment issues.
My press moved with me from Southern Ontario to Edmonton.

Last edited:
In 1968 I began pistol shooting and thus had to learn how to reload.
Like most people at the time the choice of reloading equipment was limited.
Like many people I started with a Lyman press and Lyman dies.
My experience was one of frustration followed by several failures.
I was inspired by my mentor who just said that reloading 9mm was just fiddly and why did I not choose 38 Special or 45 ACP which are easier to handle.
My answer came in the form of a Bonanza Co-Ax Press which was relatively new to the market. While the Lyman dies worked they were still somewhat fiddly as the die openings are very straight sided and thus each case requires a slight touch to ensure a perfect feed.
When Our children began to arrive I gave up all shooting and reloading activities to concentrate on the raising of the children.
Moving on to 2016, the kids are no longer at home and I have entered the pistol shooting community.
Reloading, now where is my press and all my equipment.
What do you mean it was given away. I am sure this has never happened to any of you on the internet.
I found the Bonanza had been sold to Forster, I ended up with Qty 2 Forster Co-Ax presses, this time I also found Dillon Pistol Dies.
What an improvement, Night and Day.
Well after overcoming the shock of Bonanza no longer in business, I went on to the internet to find an original Bonanza Co-Ax Press.
I found an old and very tired looking Bonanza Co-Ax press on eBay.
Following is my plan to rebuild the Bonanza B1 Co-Ax press to the current Forster B3/B4 Specs.
Bonanza Co-Ax Upgrade
When it is time to upgrade or restore a Bonanza Co-Ax Press to current Forster specifications.
1. Visually inspect the entire Cast Iron frame for possible flaws.
2. Magna-Flux the Cast Iron components for hidden defects in the metal.
3. Strip the entire press down to the cast iron components per the attached notes.
4. Clean the press inspect if the press requires just a thorough cleaning or stripping cleaning.
5. Disassemble by driving through the Bonanza roll pins to remove the Guide Rod(s), Replace with Forster Guide Rods
Qty 2 028271-048 – Guide Rods @ $13.00 USD
Qty 2 new roll pins @ $0.74 USD
NOTE: the Guide Rod, Roll Pins are shorter than the diameter of the Guide Rods
To remove these Roll Pins, the Roll Pins are driven in until the pin touches the Guide Block Casting. Using your Roll Pin Removal Drift Pin and check the depth of the Roll Pin, Once you have the Roll Pin totally inside the Guide Rod, you should be able to remove the Guide Rod. Removal of the Guide Rod requires a sharp rap with a hammer to dislodge the guide rod for the Guide Block Casting.
6. Disassemble by driving through the Bonanza roll pins to remove the Pin(s) “A” Replace with Forster Pins
Qty 2 assemblies 028271-026 @ $5.00 USD
Qty 2 roll pins (028271-026A - Roll Pins @ $0.74 USD
Qty 4, ½” E Retaining Clip @ $0.84 USD
7. Disassemble by driving through the Bonanza roll pins to remove the Pin(s) “B” Replace with Forster Pins
Qty 2 assemblies 028271-032 @ $5.20 USD
Qty 4, ½” E Retaining Clip @ $0.84 USD
8. Disassemble by driving through the Bonanza roll pins to remove the Pin(s) “C” Replace with Forster Pin C
Qty 2 assemblies 028271-047 @ $5.20 USD
Drill and Tap the Bonanza roll pin holes for 10-24 screw
Replace with Forster screws
Qty 2 set screws (028271-054-10-24 X 3/8” Socket Set Screw $0.84 USD)
Qty 4, ½” E Retaining Clip ($0.84 USD)
9. Disassemble (Remove) the Bonanza Priming Shellholder System this will be replaced with new Forster Assembly B1 # 028000 Co-Ax Priming System Upgrade @ $52.00 USD
10. Replace the Existing Bonanza B1 Yoke with a Forster B3 or B4 Yoke allowing the clearance of the taller Seating Dies. 028271-055 - Yoke - @ $52.80 USD
If you find this a little over the top, please have patience with me I am now 75 and a little bit stubborn about change. I am sure while I am the only one here like this please bear with me through my rebuild process.
I will report back as my project moves forward.
Thanks for listening.
Yes I intend to post pictures as soon as I have some to show and learn how to post the pictures to this forum.
Any assistance in posting pictures to this forum will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back