Bushnell Elite Rifle Scope 6-24x - Reviews from owners?

Anyone out there have a Bushnell Elite Rifle Scope 6-24x 40mm?

I'd be interested to hear reviews and for/against comments. This scope seems to get very good reviews online and it's one of a very few scopes that has >20 magnification for a reasonable price.

I'm setting up a new .22-250 for p-dogs. Obviously, it is hard for me to justify $1000+++ scopes on a rifle that will never do anything by shoot oversized rodents.

Bushnell bashers who have no experinece with Bushnell's top end products, please do not comment. As with ALL makers now, there are different product lines, not all Bushnells are low end scopes for the Walmart market.

Many thanks.

Grouse

I don't know about the 6-24 but I have a 4-16 Elite and love it. Japan made, very clear and bright. It's on my calling rifle so sees quite a bit of use and has worked great. I would buy another given a chance and if I could find another deal like that one. I bought it out of the Bargain Cave at Cabelas for around $250 IIRC.

As a side note the DOA 600 reticle is a little bold for a varmint rifle but matches the 40 gr BT's at 3800 fps that I shoot out of the 223 AI nearly perfect with a 200 yard zero.

I've got 2 elite 4200 6x24 50mm scopes and like them a lot. Glass is good, repeatable adjustments. limited MOA but I used burris signature zee rings and got my zero very low in the adjustment range. Leaving a lot of up adjustment for longer range. I've had them for a handful of years or more and never had any troubles.

Guys spend much more on optics that never shoot anything but paper. How far will these pdogs be? They don't exactly present a large high contrast target, I'd think if anything this justifies spending more. Better resolution, great contrast, higher magnification so you can clearly make out and engage your target, but I digress.

The bushy is good, shouldn't have any worries, I run their 4.5-30x50 xrs now, Bushnell glass is decent, their durability is great. I've had the xrs' little brother, the 6500 4.5-30x50, and the 4200 elite 6-24x50 as well, for sub $1k, a guy could do worse.

Sightron SIII would also fit the bill here. And I'd take the bushy or the sightron over the vortex.

The new leupy vx6 4-24x52 with the 34mm tube is getting pretty dang good reviews and may be worth a hard look too, but I haven't owned one of these.

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeHow far will these pdogs be? They don't exactly present a large high contrast target, I'd think if anything this justifies spending more. Better resolution, great contrast, higher magnification so you can clearly make out and engage your target, but I digress.

In theory, you'd be right. But then the reality of shooting on the plains in the summer kicks you in the buttski. Heat shimmer, mirage, whatever you want to call it. That's what gets in the way of higher magnification being useful. The higher magnifcation seems to make the "shimmer" more pronounced. Higher magnification also limits the field of view, so it becomes difficult to aquire the target and track them when they're moving. Especially tricky if the grass was tall as it was last year with unseasonable levels of rain.

I appreciate the feedback, though. I think I'm going to try an Elite and see how I like it.

Grouse

The Elite has very good glass, shot quite a few PD's with them. Only issue I had with mine was cross-hair thickness. For longer distance targets, PD size, the smaller the aiming point the better. I now prefer the 1/8 target dot.

Early in the day, you can crank up to max magnification before the mirage gets bad. Nice to have 24X when you can use it.

The Elites are good scopes, IMO

I've got a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 on my 6 BR and have shot targets out to 600 yards with no issues. Nice clear glass. I have the small target dot reticle. I think you'll be happy with one.

Last edited:
I've had several Bushnells and they've always been plenty good for me. It won't be as clear at high magnifications as a higher priced Leupold, but better than a Vortex from my experience. I have a 6-24, and it's always done the job. However, if you can spring a few hundred extra, I'd go with the Leupold VX-6. Best scope I've ever used to date.

Last edited:
Back