243 vs 6mm rem vs 243wssm

MEDIC

I`am going to build up a XP-100 with a new barrel for whitetail deer and varmints. Which round do you think would be best 243 win. 243wssm or a 6mm rem. Just wanted so input. Thanks

I have been doing some handloading for a friend with a Wssm. I was surprised to find that the standard 243 Win. case held 2grs. more ball powder then the Wssm filled to the mouth of each. The cases of the Wssm are really thick and probably can be loaded to higher pressure. Loads I finally found that shot the best groups were a 75gr. bullet at 3350fps. Much like a regular 243.
BTW, if anyone tells you a 6mm is far and ahead of the 243 don't believe it. In barrels of the same length it a toss up. Pedro

243. less unburnt powder blasted out the end of the barrel. you are not gonna gain anything over the 243 in a xp100.

I prefer the 6mm Remington with its longer neck and slightly more capacity. The 243 with heavier bullets is prone to pressure spikes that are not understoood but accepted in the industry. Its short neck and steep shoulders also contribute to throat erosion. The 243 does have better brass available.

There has been much debate about the 243 win VS the 243 WSSM. I own both. I have not chrono'd my WSSM so I can't speak about any velocity gain over the 243 win. I do handload for it and have worked up a highly accurate load with 70gr nosler ballistic tips. I have the winchester model 70 coyote. The recoil is very mild, especially with the 70gr bullets. I love the cartridge and highly recommend it.

I would pick the 243 with a 1-10" twist for varmints. For deer I would use the best rifle that I had. I use larger calibers for big game.

That makes sense to me.

I don't think the WSSM has a thing over the regular 243, other than expensive brass and occasional feed problems from a "super short" cartridge.

Also, FOR THE RELOADER, you can get some really great brass in 243 that makes it a good value as well.

My wifes 243 is a very, very accurate weapon and good to go for Pd's to Elk...can't ask for more than that.

Back