Male Coyote with 22mag

Roger Groves

Went out yesterday evening and on my last stand got this nice male. I got out of the truck and was getting ready when the coyotes started howling right where I was planning to set up. Luckily the creek they was in was lower than where I parked. I started sneaking down when I saw 2 coyotes about 500 yards away. It's wide open Oklahoma prairie so I thought I was busted. I was fully cammoed so I guess that saved me. The coyotes went back in the creekbed so I set my caller down and went about 50 yards to the right of it and sat down. Started the FX3 with cottontail and turned the decoy on. It took less than a minute before the coyote was headed my way. He got to 52 yards and stopped because he saw me. I woofed just to make sure and put the crosshairs on his chest then pulled the trigger. On the shot I heard the smack of impact and he fell right over. His tail twitched a couple of times but that was it. I then switched to coyote pup distress and 2 more dogs came in. Because I couldn't range them I never took the shot. They new something was up and didn't come as close as the first one. In my location we can only use shotguns or rim fires. If I had my AR I'm sure I could have gotten at least 1 more of them. It was a good day though.
Equipment used- FoxPro FX3, Marlin 883 .22mag with 45gr Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

25_Jan_Coyote.JPG

When I first read the title of this thread, I said to myself,"self, I would be dam scared of a Male coyote with a 22 Mag. in it paws".
lol.gif

Then I clicked on it and read "The rest of the story".
thumbup.gif

Nice coyote.

Did you fellas know that one of the commercial call makers hunted with a 22 Mag. for quite a while before he started using higher power rifles.

A very nice looking dog! What ammo were you using? I have never used a .22 Mag as my primary calling gun, although I understand why you did, but sometimes an opportunity presents itself and a Mag rimfire is all a guy has on hand.

Good job. You made the most of what you could use, and you were disciplined enough not to take shots at the others since you knew it was risky. Disciplined hunters can take all manner of critters with rimfires and smaller calibers.

That is a big-looking coyote for sure. Seems the 22 mag was up to the task.

Man thats awsome..i guess that answers...can a coyote be dropped with a 22 mag...alot of guys ask the question in alot of other forums....heres proof of it. Congrats

Back