Thinking about buying a POF 415...dose anyone own one?

Dultimatpredator

I debating on selling my LTR 223 and limited edition stainless heavy barreled 700 remington chambered in 17 rem and using the coin for one of these rifles. I'm thinking the 14.5 barrel chambered in 223. Dose anyone have experience with the POFs?

Last edited:
I just bought one a few weeks ago and they are the Lamborghini's of the AR platform. I picked up the 415 11H series that has the smooth rail and pieces can be added if needed. The piston driven system is excellent especially with no mess to clean up in my receiver and they shoot extremely accurate. You can't go wrong. People may cry about the price tag but, I have found a shop on Gun Broker (where I purchased mine from) that sells them for $1500 shipped with no credit card fees. He post batches of them for sale quite often too. That is right around the Daniel Defense price range for a way better setup.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384569485

Black rain has piston drive rifle also. I own both and both are great rifles. My Pof has a 14.5 and the Black rain has a 16. The black rain is still a pound lighter than the POF. I have had not had a issue with my POF but have heard if you do there customer service is very crappy. Which is kind of alarming when someone puts that kind of money out for a rifle.

I was able to have a few words with Frank DeSomma the CEO and owner of POF at SHOT Show on Monday and brought up the customer service reviews along with my concern with the 3 year warranty that they offer. He assured me that the issue with poor customer service due to prior employees has been resolved and the quote on quote "problem has been removed" so the customer service is now top notch. I also questioned the 3 year warranty that they offer on their rifles and was told that they will cover the rifles that they manufacture for life as long as the damage is not caused by user error or abuse. Within that 3 year period is usually when something will go wrong if it's something due to production error but they will replace a rifle or attempt to repair it if something goes wrong even further down the road.

I personally have only heard of issues with the gas piston plug breaking at the push button but apparently they have fixed that issue with the newer rifles after doing some extensive research. So far I couldn't be more happy with mine and it shoots like a dream. The machining on it makes it a work of art.

Not to pee in the porage but my buddy has one and I call it a POS. Accuracy was nothing compared to my RRA. Way overpriced. Quality was great, performance was great, accuracy was fair. Shot nothing like a $1500.00 rifle should, IMO. Like I said, JMO!

I have one and love it. It is a shooter with the rock barrel it has. It drives the 60 grain Nosler ballistic tip into nice little groups. And the piston system is very nice and I like a lot.

Just sold my 17 Rem for 1500.00 and the funds are on the way. My minds made up POF P415 14.5" barrel with the NP3 coating. I've checked all over and the best price I can find so far on line is 1850.00. Cabelas about an hour away from me has them for 1999.00. I reload so as far as accuracy goes I can make any gun shoot with the right bullet/powder combo. Anyone see anything cheaper than what I've found?

Last edited:
If you are spending that much money for an AR, you really should be looking at an LWRC, not a POF. workmanship and quality of the LWRC, is much much better than the POF. LMT would be my second option...

Before buying my LWRC i looked at a lot of different ARs. After shooting a couple different POFs, i quickly ruled them out. They look pretty but everyone i looked at had a lot of slop and fitment problems. The pistons all had alignment issues. And as of two weeks ago, their support still sucks from what a coworker told me.

Even when my REPR had accuracy problems, it would group tighter than my coworkers POF. He was told that 2.5moa is average for the gun so there was no point sending it in for service or worrying about it.

Originally Posted By: captninsanoIf you are spending that much money for an AR, you really should be looking at an LWRC, not a POF. workmanship and quality of the LWRC, is much much better than the POF. LMT would be my second option...

Before buying my LWRC i looked at a lot of different ARs. After shooting a couple different POFs, i quickly ruled them out. They look pretty but everyone i looked at had a lot of slop and fitment problems. The pistons all had alignment issues. And as of two weeks ago, their support still sucks from what a coworker told me.

Even when my REPR had accuracy problems, it would group tighter than my coworkers POF. He was told that 2.5moa is average for the gun so there was no point sending it in for service or worrying about it.

Every rifle system on the market is bound to have issues with a rifle every so often. LWRC is nothing special out of the group and if you do a Google search, you can see the countless complaints with their piston systems failing/breaking all the time, magazine issues, FTF & stove pipe issues and a lot of complaints about the average 3" grouping their rifles get.

To each their own.

I have some friends that have a few along with a larue. Dollar for dollar the POF is probably one of the best black rifles for the money. If your not willing to take the time to reload your own ammo the odds of finding some off the shelf ammo that shoots like a bolt gun is far fetched. I had a buschmaster targeter varminter....a loose rattly POS that I loaded up some 50BTs for that you could cover a 5 shot group up with a dime that wouldn't shoot a tight group with off the shelf ammo. Most guys buys these things and hoard the cheapest off the shelf ammo they can find and wonder why expensive guns won't shoot. It's kinda like throwing a tasco scope on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coltbill45Originally Posted By: captninsanoIf you are spending that much money for an AR, you really should be looking at an LWRC, not a POF. workmanship and quality of the LWRC, is much much better than the POF. LMT would be my second option...

Every rifle system on the market is bound to have issues with a rifle every so often. LWRC is nothing special out of the group and if you do a Google search, you can see the countless complaints with their piston systems failing/breaking all the time, magazine issues, FTF & stove pipe issues and a lot of complaints about the average 3" grouping their rifles get.

To each their own.

Maybe so, but LWRC fixed my gun for free in a very timely fashion for it shooting at 2moa... Pof refuses to address these...

They guarantee MOA accuracy & 100% satisfaction guarantee so I don't really buy half of the stories about people with nightmare issues unless they are the actual person having the issue with actual evidence of the poor customer service. I can't name one company that has not been complained about by a forum member here as it's in the human nature for people to find things to complain about especially when it comes to time frames on getting service. People want it now now now and get fairly rude with customer service reps. Here are links to POF's guarantees and I don't think that they would still be in business if they were that crappy to customers.

http://www.pof-usa.com/pof-warranties.html

https://www.pof-usa.com/pof-product-faqs.html

As for LWRC, I personally think that they are overpriced garbage and you will get the same type of quality from a $600 Palmetto State Armory rifle.

Originally Posted By: Coltbill45They guarantee MOA accuracy & 100% satisfaction guarantee so I don't really buy half of the stories about people with nightmare issues unless they are the actual person having the issue with actual evidence of the poor customer service. I can't name one company that has not been complained about by a forum member here as it's in the human nature for people to find things to complain about especially when it comes to time frames on getting service. People want it now now now and get fairly rude with customer service reps. Here are links to POF's guarantees and I don't think that they would still be in business if they were that crappy to customers.

As for LWRC, I personally think that they are overpriced garbage and you will get the same type of quality from a $600 Palmetto State Armory rifle.

Right, i see your logic does well for you. Lol

Originally Posted By: captninsanoOriginally Posted By: Coltbill45They guarantee MOA accuracy & 100% satisfaction guarantee so I don't really buy half of the stories about people with nightmare issues unless they are the actual person having the issue with actual evidence of the poor customer service. I can't name one company that has not been complained about by a forum member here as it's in the human nature for people to find things to complain about especially when it comes to time frames on getting service. People want it now now now and get fairly rude with customer service reps. Here are links to POF's guarantees and I don't think that they would still be in business if they were that crappy to customers.

Right, i see your logic does well for you. Lol

The feeling is mutual.
whistle.gif

Last edited:

I agree...I've been in retail management and customer service for over two decades and the complaints are normally from picky, problematic customers that do the same thing with every item they have purchased on gods green earth since they've been born and are upset because they think the world evolves around them and their life can't go on until the product they are having issues with is immediately resolved. I hate to brake the news, not always, but most of the time rude customer service comes from rude (nightmare) customers.They normally are customers with buyers remorse, someone who's trying to get something for free, or people who were razzed about their product by a pier for their purchase. The bottom line is nothing's perfect but I believe POF is a better mouse trap than most other ARs out there. No affence, but posts on a lot of this stuff are mostly opinions on guys with more economy priced products trying to justify why they can't afford a better gun.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger just picked up my P415 today from cabelas 14.5" barrel with np3 finish. It was the last one of 2 that I could find with the old style tactical rail that was stopped being offered last March. The tac rail looks way cooler!

Sweet.. You wont have any issues with it and if you do POF will take care of it. I have called and talked to them a couple times and no doubt if I had an issue they would bend over backward to fix it.

Back