What am i missing? Scope bottomed out!!!

Jabey9210

My wife has a stag arms Pink Zombie with a M-223 scope base. She had a nikon coyote special on it but didn't like it. So I replaced it with a nitrex tr one 4-16.The coyote special when mounted was close to center with both windage and elevation adjustments. When I mount the nitrex it is completely bottomed out in both windage and elevation. Now I put the boresighter on the gun, then referenced the Poi in my back yard at 50 yards. Then I took the coyote special off and put the nitrex on and it will barely adjust to where the boresight says zero is. I didn't like it so i took it off, inspected everything and put it back on and came up with the same results. Is it possible i have a bad scope? I've never had this scope on another gun I recently purchased it here from a fellow PM. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

Sounds kinda like a bad scope to me? Can you see the crosshairs move when you adjust? How big of gun was the scope on before?

John

I had a scope "slip" like this once on a heavy recoiling single shot rifle. I think it had about the same symptoms as you are describing.

Hope this helps

John

Make sure M-223 mount is canted forward, I know, sounds to easy but you would be surprised. If you have the 20MOA base backwards and your new scope doesn't have a lot of internal adjustment it could bottom out. Did you show your wife Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program?
The CS scope is one of my favorites. I am 100% with it. Not easy to sight in if you don't use targets with squares so you can aim for a corner.

Good luck and check out Spot On.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Coyote%20Special/Apple.jpg

Originally Posted By: Barton HegeMake sure M-223 mount is canted forward, I know, sounds to easy but you would be surprised. If you have the 20MOA base backwards and your new scope doesn't have a lot of internal adjustment it could bottom out.

Might explain the elevation, but not the windage.

Dial both windage and elevation to full opposite direction counting rotations to stop. Dial back half the rotaions and see where you are at. If you do not have enough adjustment and bottom out again I would say BAD SCOPE at that point.

Place your scope with the objective end against a mirror in a well lighted area...Looking through the scope, you will probably see two sets of reticles...Turn the turrets until you only see one reticle and you reticle will be centered in the tube/lens...

Now, mount the scope on the rifle and looking through the bore at a distant object (I use a neighbors basketball goal) and see where the reticles are positioned in relation to the object...Both Elevation and Windage should be pretty much on target if the base and rings are good..

That will give you your first indication of where your problem may lie, and adjustments to the mounting base or rings can begin there...If your 20 MoA base is on backwards, the scope will be tilted where your reticle is pointed way high...Some rings come in two different heights and may need to be reversed...If the scope was already mounted in Burris Signature rings, be sure the check the inserts that each has the 0/0 ones installed...(My Rem 700 uses +/-10 MoA to give me more elevation for long range shooting)...

There is always the possibility that the scope has failed, but run the other checks first, as the solution may be something simple...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtlePlace your scope with the objective end against a mirror in a well lighted area...Looking through the scope, you will probably see two sets of reticles...Turn the turrets until you only see one reticle and you reticle will be centered in the tube/lens...

This is some awesome information! Thanks for sharing, OT!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210My wife has a stag arms Pink Zombie with a M-223 scope base. She had a nikon coyote special on it but didn't like it. So I replaced it with a nitrex tr one 4-16.The coyote special when mounted was close to center with both windage and elevation adjustments. When I mount the nitrex it is completely bottomed out in both windage and elevation. Now I put the boresighter on the gun, then referenced the Poi in my back yard at 50 yards. Then I took the coyote special off and put the nitrex on and it will barely adjust to where the boresight says zero is. I didn't like it so i took it off, inspected everything and put it back on and came up with the same results. Is it possible i have a bad scope? I've never had this scope on another gun I recently purchased it here from a fellow PM. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

The Nikon has 60 MOA of adjustment with the Nitrex only having 44 MOA. If the Nikon was close to center then the Nitrex should have enough adjustment before bottoming out. Seeing as it's bottomed in both elevation and windage........ I would say the scope is junk.

I just bought a Nikon M-223 4x16-42 BDC scope and it is doing the same thing, bottoming out. Shoots low at 100 yards and won't go any higher. It has 40 MOA.

Back