Varget vs. IMR 4320 for .223/6X45

IAyoteHNTR

I have a Relative Burn Rate chart that lists powders from fastest to slowest and I see that Varget and IMR 4320 are listed right next to each other. Varget is listed as #99 and IMR 4320 is listed as #100 out of the 145 powders listed so their burn rates are near identical but I was wondering what, if any, real differences there would be between the 2 powders so I did some searching on the internet and found many instances where guys were using the IMR 4320 instead of the Varget and actually preferred the IMR 4320 over the Varget especially since it metered better with slightly smaller granules than the Varget has.

I think I'm going to use this 1 lb of IMR 4320 I got in a trade deal for some 6X45 load development and see how it does.

Anyone out there using IMR 4320 on a regular basis for a .223 or 6X45? What's your thoughts?

I like 4320 much better, it meters good, on my burn rate chart, 4320 is one notch faster than Varget.I love 4320 in my .17, and 223's, don't know about the 6x45.

I've only tried it in my 308. It didn't give the accuracy that Varget did. Personally I like a full case of powder 4320 was only in the 75% range. That is why I bought it. As a back up for Varget.

I can't find very much load info out there using the IMR 4320 but since it's so close to the burn rate of Varget I'll just use that info as a reference for load development. I think I'll use most of it up loading some .223 rounds for my AR. Thanks for the replies guys.

Back