35 Whelen Build Input

scotts94_z28

Just picked up a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 for a steal and want to build a 35 whelen. So far for the build I have a B&C Medalist Alaskan Ti II stock, adl to bdl convertion, leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm and talley lightweights.

The purpose of this gun is going to be for Moose inside of 200-250 yards and possibly black bear and elk at the same distances. Because of this I will most likely shoot 225gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds 90% of the time but may also use 200gr and 225gr bullets once in a while. At first will be shooting only factory ammo no handloads.

Now the real question is the barrel. At this time I am thinking of sending off the barreled action to pac-nor to have a new barrel fitted and chambered. I'm pretty set on a 22" barrel in the standard remington sporting contour but that is as much as I'm sure of.

My questions are how is pac-nor's work? Also what twist rate should I go with? At this time I am torn between 12 twist 5 groove barrel or a 14 twist 6 groove. Also unsure of barrel material and grade as they make both chrome moly and stainless barrels in match grade and super match grade. Would like to see at least MOA out to 250 yards with either 225gr Accubonds or Partitions. Any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:
Faster twist and stainless... Someday you are going to want to push the bullet wight up and that faster twist will make all the difference in the world...

BTW, the .35W is a "magic" round if they exist at all. I was torn between it and a .338-06. I went with the .338 but would not have been unhappy had I finally decided on the .35W. And, mine is for the same purpose. Heavy animals at reasonable ranges... Almost the same setup except for a 24" Douglas barrel (I have had very good luck with them in hunting rifles).

+1 to Greg.
14" twist is standard but it wouldn't hurt to run faster in case you want to try a 275 (if you can find them). My Whelen is, believe it or not, an 18" twist (or is it 16"?) because way back in the prehistoric era when I built it that was the only .35 cal barrel blank available to me. Rechambered recently to Ackley Improved, it shoots Barnes 225 TSX's at 2670 fps into about 1 MOA out to 300 yards. Haven't killed anything with it yet, but no accuracy complaints...

The 35 Whelen is a great hunting cartridge.

I don't know why, but I don't know of anybody that has had food luck with the 225gr AB in thier Whelen's or 358 Win.

Mine has a 1:16", 22" Douglas on it. It shoots great, but I wish it had a 1:14 on it.

I shoot the 225gr TSX through mine with great luck with RL15.

Easy loading, mild mannered cartridge that kills very well.

Last spring I was fortunate enough to get a shot at a big black bear. I had my 35 Whelen with 225gr. TSX. The shot was 25yds.

1002270001.jpg

1002220026.jpg

1002220043.jpg

I shot as he was facing towards me, head down. He was in the same position as he is in the pic beside the barrel. At the shot he went straight down and never twitched, except three death rattles.
I aimed between his shoulders, at the base of the neck. The bullet went through the spine and neck, all the vitals, and I found it against the hide where his offside back leg started. I did a quick measure and the bullet travelled 34", or close to it.

Even though the bullet sheared 3 petals off, I am still really happy with it's performance. It went through alot of meat and bone, and penetrated a long ways.

My muzzle velocity is 2660fps, and at 25 yds it wouldn't have been much slower than that.

Last edited:
I have a 30-06 in my safe that I've been wanting to do something with (I also picked it up on the cheap--$200). I've always wanted a 35 Whelen. Y'all are inspiring me!!!

35 whelen is a great round at reasonable hunting ranges. Go with a twist fast enough to stabilize the heavy bullets it wont hurt the lighter ones at all. A good buddy has carried a whelen elk hunting for better than 15 years and has no complaints even with all these super magnums coming out. Dead is dead and the whelen will definately do that.

Yep the 35 Colonel is a great one. Extremely accurate, and kills with authority.

Pac-Nor does good work. I would go 22" and have them duplicate the magnum barrel contour(and flutes) of the Alaskan II, otherwise, you will have some extra play in the barrel channel. The rifle will still be plenty light with that stock/scope/ring combo. Have my buddy Karl @ Kampfeld Custom flute the bolt.

As far as twist goes, a 1-16" will usually shoot everything up to and including 250gr bullets well. I would go no slower than 1-16". Some prefer 1-14", and I believe Griffin & Howe(who invented the cartridge) used to twist theirs mostly 1-12",preferring heavy projectiles.

As far as loads go, I guess you could say I'm old school. 250gr bullets are what define the Whelenator, and have given it it's well deserved reputation. They are the only bullets I have ever bothered to load. Partitions and Hot-Cors mostly.

When you start to handload, look no further than 58-59gr of R-15 under a 250 gr bullet. It is the classic killing recipe for the Whelen, and more extensive load development will not normally be needed........

100_0741.jpg

Great call on the caliber. I have awalys wanted one. I will be looking for a cheap rifle. I have heard on 1895 winchesters rebarreled to 35 whelen. Now that would be a sweet gun there

I started shooting the 35 Whelen last year and I now shoot a 35 WhelenAI with CM Kreiger 24" barrel with 1/14 twist. It's on a 700 action, Williams bottom metal and 70 style saftey all matte finish in a Remington wood BDL stock.

I've only shot the 225gr AB 1.370" long,225gr TSX 1.315" long and the 250gr Hornady SP 1.250" long. I did buy some 225gr Sierra 1.150" long and 220gr Speer 1.100" long.

I got out for acouple days last year hunting elk seen only one bull he was with some cows couldn't get a clear shot so maybe this year. I settled on 225gr AB. Well good luck

I've been shooting a 35 Whelen for eleven years now. It's a 1941 model 70 Winchester that I had rebored by Cliff LaBounty. He is retired now but JES Reboring does great work. I have a Sedgley Springfield rebored to 375 Whelen by JES. Excellent work and it was a ten day turn around from my door to his and back. Very reasonable rates.

I shoot 250 Partitions over 56 grains of 4320 in mine and have killed three caribou with it. It really hammers them hard and meat damage is minimal.

I would seriously consider a rebore by JES. He does great work and is well respected. It will get you into a 35 Whelen cheaper and faster than just about any other means.

Mart

Mine is a re-bored Rem 721, I've had it for about 20 years now. I built it to replace a 358 NM, love the 35 W. Mine was done by a fellow named Nickles in Eatonville, WA since passed away. I got to spend the whole day with him, while he did the work on the gun. It was very interesting to see him cut the rifling with a single point cutter. It shoots very well with my favorite bullet the Hornady 250gr RN.

The Whelen is awesome, my first and last thought about the Whelen is "frontal diameter." My preferred chunk of metal out of it is the 250 gr. speer hot core. If you can shoot the big bullets why not. I have shot mine out to 600 yards. The scope ran out of elevation. The wind does not move that chunk of lead a whole lot. I use imr 4064, but would prefer something less temp sensitive. Have fun and post picks when your done.

Bought a 700C when they were first chambered for the whelen. Nice gun, great cartridge. I used to be a go fast guy when I was younger, but I really like that big heavy bullet. You can drive it through a lot of critter.

Gun has a 4x leupold and shoots right at one moa with that scope. Shooting 225 gr Sierra BTs with IMR 4064.

Back