New (to me) Ruger M77 220 Swift

Kjsguns

I just picked up a used, not abused Ruger M77 in 220 swift. It is my first swift and I'm excited. It's the original tang safety red pad ruger. It is the 26" varmint model and the original owner, whom I bought it from only fired 60 rounds out of it. I also got dies, two boxes of loaded federal premiums and 40 brass. I didn't quite get a "steal" on it but I think it was a very good deal and I have wanted a swift for so long I had to buy it. I can't wait to burn up the factories and start working on some loads for it. I'm thinking it should do good with some 55gr sierras hopefully. I need to find a good scope to put on it but I'll have to through one on for tomorrow just so I can check it out.

My first Swift was a M77, they're great guns. Even though it only has 60 rounds through it, I would make sure it has all the copper out of it. Your dead on with the 55 grainers although I got my best accuracy out of the 52's. Try IMR4007SSC for powder,I've used a lot of different stuff in my Swift's but nothing has worked as well as the 4007.

Thanks guys. Yea I cleaned it up really good. I just have to steal my monarch off of my 22-250 for now then I will be headed out to the range

My very first new centerfire rifle of any kind was a pre-production M77V .220 Swift. I had a 12X Leupold on it. Man, was it ever a shooter too. I VERY foolishly traded it off a few years later and almost immediately regretted it.

Mine really liked the Sierra HPBT 52 grain bullets. But that was way back then. I bet yours would just love the 50 and 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips just like my current Swift does.

That's a fine gun you got there. I hope your grandkids will get it someday. I know for a fact that I will never sell the one I got now. I learned my lesson good.

Well I will keep this one forever for sure. I just got back from the range today. I only had factory federals available because I am away from my bench out of town visiting family and the range here was under repair so I only had a 200 yd target to shoot at but I had a .9" group at 200 with the federals so I think it is showing some promise. I burned up most of the factories so I can hit the loading bench when I get home. I'll probably try the ballistic tips and some sierras and maybe some burger 52's I'm sure one of those will give me the results I'm looking for

Quick question about your 220 swifts. Did you guys free float the barrels or leave them with slight upward pressure at the front of the stock as they come?

Other than adjust the trigger my gun was 100% stock. I could slip a dollar bill all the way to the action without touching wood so I guess that means it was factory free floated.

Ok thanks I was just more or less curious I don't think I will mess with mine until I see what it does with some good re loads

Originally Posted By: KjsgunsOk thanks I was just more or less curious I don't think I will mess with mine until I see what it does with some good re loads

All of mine are floated.

I purchased same in mid. 70's. Ran Sierra 52gr.hpbt match with various powders. Was very pleased for 30 years sub MOA. Then read the .220 was designed on for a 48gr. bullet. Sooo tried out 50gr. Blitzkings, 41.gr Realoader 15, Federal 210m five years ago. Sub MOA with Unbelievable damage to groundhogs. ENJOY (not good for groundhog contest by weight)

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: KjsgunsOk thanks I was just more or less curious I don't think I will mess with mine until I see what it does with some good re loads

All of mine are floated.

First thing I do unless they are already.

Ha I'm sure the groundhogs do some acrobatics with that load. I free footed the barrel. It took very little sanding and I just loaded up some test loads with both 50 gr and 55gr Sierras and some imr 4064. Going to the range tomorrow to try it out. Will post my results

I have known a couple guys who have had those rifles one in 308 the other 25-06 and they were tack drivers, if I could find one reasonable I would snatch it up.

Well I finally was able to shoot my 220 swift today. With 38.5 gr of imr 4064 and some Sierra 50 grainers I had a nice 5 shot group at 3/8" ctc. I think I'll take that any day. I know I could go a little hotter but It really liked this load so I think I will be sticking with it

Originally Posted By: KjsgunsWell I finally was able to shoot my 220 swift today. With 38.5 gr of imr 4064 and some Sierra 50 grainers I had a nice 5 shot group at 3/8" ctc. I think I'll take that any day. I know I could go a little hotter but It really liked this load so I think I will be sticking with it

I bet more pounds of IMR 4064 have been shot through .220 Swifts over the last 50 years than any other powder out there. All of mine just loved it and it is still the one I load the most of.

Other powders have come along in the last dozen years or so that work very well in the almost 80 year old .220 Swift but I think that your rifle has just told you what powder that it likes best. And you may as well keep feeding that gun what it likes. Make it happy and it will make you very very happy.

Back