Custom turret systems

devildogg

Here is something I saw and ordered and thought others might want to use also. I had a couple custom turrets made one for a 243 win shooting 69gr Bergers at a little over 3400 fps and one a 22-250 for 52 gr Bergers we'll I had a rifle built and put my scope on my new rifle which now shoots a 69 gr Berger at almost 3600 fps. We'll the turret was pretty close but at ranges over 400 yds it started to be off and the farther out something was the farther off the custom turret was. Now I needed a new turret and they were pretty spendy then I came across a web site called custom turret systems they make a sticker like wrap that is calibrated for your turret and load for only $25 for four wraps. They seem pretty sturdy like they will hold up well and stay stuck on also. I sent him my info and I four days I had them I put them and wow they shot them out to a little over 400 yds so far and they were right on the money

with the 4 turret labels for $25 can you get each one for a different set up. this would make it easy and no time spent doing it myself.

What material are they made of and are they waterproof?

I've been testing CTS turret labels. You get four identical labels for $25. Four labels allow you to swap between different loads four times. The laminated label has a gloss finish and is completely weather-proof and highly durable. Anything you could do to scratch it would probably also scratch a laser engraved turret. The matte finish label is not laminated. In theory an unlaminated label should not be weather-proof or scratch-proof. However, I tried to rub off the print using wet and oily fingers and was not successful. The print will scratch off, but it takes some effort. For maximum durability, I would go with a laminated label.

The label design software is easy to use. Color is available. More design options are in the works.

So far, I like this product. I would not use a laser engraved turret over a CTS label, if my scope turret was able to take a label.

Maybe I'm just a simpleton but...

You've already got turrets, why don't you just print up a small dope chart and tape it to the scope tube or your stock?

Do you go prove your load at long range then send in that info for the printed tape?

just get a scope with good ole 1/4 MOA turrets and print out a ballistic chart prove it.at.the ranges make adjustments if needed.and tape to the stock. Then you won't be stuck with one bullet you can use the same.turret for.any and every round with a good ballistic program.

I have got some drop charts made up and have tried them I have been using this system for years and it is very fast and efficient you range the target and dial to the correct yards there is no counting clicks or looking at your stock to see the chart it is super fast. Once I received the labels and installed them I took them out and verified them they are right on the money. If you buy a scope with some generic turrets or moa turrets and you change your load or put your scope on a different rifle this is a cheap and effective way to extend your range and be very accurate while doing so. The turret that I have there is a Kenton ind turret and to replace it with a new one for a different load it would cost between 80-100 so I went this route when I changed my load and put the scope on a different rifle. They may not be for everyone but if u want a cheap and effective way to shoot long range and don't want to wait several months for some custom turrets then this is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: devildoggI have got some drop charts made up and have tried them I have been using this system for years and it is very fast and efficient you range the target and dial to the correct yards there is no counting clicks or looking at your stock to see the chart it is super fast. Once I received the labels and installed them I took them out and verified them they are right on the money. If you buy a scope with some generic turrets or moa turrets and you change your load or put your scope on a different rifle this is a cheap and effective way to extend your range and be very accurate while doing so. The turret that I have there is a Kenton ind turret and to replace it with a new one for a different load it would cost between 80-100 so I went this route when I changed my load and put the scope on a different rifle. They may not be for everyone but if u want a cheap and effective way to shoot long range and don't want to wait several months for some custom turrets then this is the way to go.

Turrets (good ones) have reference marks and numbers on them so you don't have to count clicks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you change your load, that stickers no good because the ballistics change and its permanently marked.

The stickers have even less benefit when moving the scope to another rifle. Your ballistics will change again rendering them pretty much useless. What if the next rifle (assuming its the came cartridge) don't like the same bullet or velocity? Maybe your talking about constantly swapping the scope from one rifle to another and for that I would tell you its time to save up some cash and buy a second scope.

I don't consider speed or having to look away off target to a chart a big deal. If you don't have the time to make a good shot at long range you probably should be making the shot at all.

It looks as if those things might be set up for every 50 yards... What if your targets between that at extended ranges? Do you just put forth your best guess and use a click or two in between?

I purchased a Leupold VX6 this last summer and I had the opportunity to have the CDS dials made for it. I passed on them for regular MOA dials as the load and the rifle could change in the future and I didn't want to be hung with useless dials when that happened. I consider the stickers about the same...

I'm not looking for a fight here I just want you to see the down side to using a pre printed sticker instead of the turrets.

The turrets are made in 25yd increments. this is the purpose of the stickers I use my rifle for deer hunting and coyote hunting I have stickers made for 95 vld loads and 69 gr berger loads two different loads same rifle one turret tear off the sticker for one load replace with the other for the other load. I will get a deer tag every 3 years or so if I am licky enough to draw a tag then I will tear off a sticker for the 69gr load and apply the 95gr load sticker and im good out to over 700 yds would I shoot that far most likely not but that is how it is made. they are fast I am a hunter not a target shooter in real world situations u don't have a lot of time to set your self up for a shot maybe if your a pd shooter then you wont mind letting a one get away once in a while but I am a predator hunter and I may only have seconds to shoot so I have to make it count when it comes time to pull the trigger. FH if a coyote was standing at 517yds what would u dial your scope to with out looking up your chart taped to the side of your gun. I can tell you right now I would dial to 525 put it right on him and pull the trigger. while your looking at your chart my safety is off and im settling in and squeezing the trigger. now make that a 160" whitetail and see how rattled you are and start fumbling with a chart I range and dial to the yards my rangefinder tells me and im shooting. If something is at 437 yrds I would dial to 425 and give it one or two more clicks and I guarantee with out a doubt I ill kill whatever im shooting at. I have been using this system for years its as simple and fool proof as it gets. No moa no mils no hash marks in a clutterd scope its simple and fast. It might not be for everyone but it is an inexpensive way to put a custom made turret on your rifle for your load even with your cds dials they can make a sticker for that dial and your load if you change your load pull the sticker off and have a new one made. Not looking to start trouble here either just trying to help out.

I wouldnt shoot at a coyote 500+ yards out. I'd rather call them in closer or move up on them to get a higher percentage shot.

I would most likely do the same. But I have the ability to shoot that far as well as the equipment that has produced for me time and time again with known yardage and a rifle that will shoot and a scope that is dialed in that is a dead coyote or deer or elk or antelope. I do a lot of spot and stalk predator hunting and with highly pressured animals that will not call and wide open terrain that is sometimes the only option.

I don't get why anyone would second guess this it's a no brainer if you have an accurate load for your rifle shoot that load through a chrony and get your. Velocity do it on and average day with the temp at somewhere around the average temp you'll be hunting in. Then have one of these made and put it on your turret it's only $25 ya that's steep for a sticker but when you would consider the cost of a custom turret it's cheap. Once you get it take it out and shoot it at known yardage sand make sure it is accurate. For me it's faster than trying to figure out mills and moa because I don't understand that stuff this is easy range dial pull the trigger. If you change the load or bullet pull off the sticker and apply new one. I don't wanna argue about this and what it ethical about long shots and who is a better caller and stalker. I posted this to help someone out like my self who had struggled at this and has found a way to become consistent with killing coyotes at longer than normal ranges.

I have been fortunate in being able to buy rifles for a specific use. I'm far from rich but, thanks to the wife we have some pennies saved up. So, that being said, I went with Kenton turrets because when I find a load for a rifle I don't change it again. However, those stick on labels work and are way less expensive than a turret. The last time my wife saw one when I opened the package she said,'you paid how much for that little cap'?

Back