deer dogs???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

KillerBear

Has anyone herd of hunting deer with dogs I don't mean trailing blood or running them out thickets. I mean trailing the deer then you making the shot anyone ever train or know how to train a dog to do this?

how would you train them to do that wouldn't they alert the deer? can you tell me how to train one or where to learn how to train
one?

In Finland they use them to hunt moose. The hounds will bay up the moose on a ledge, and then you go in and shoot them!

Dogs chase things. I get the impression you think the dog will stroll through the woods, find a deer and somehow let you know it has found one, without scaring it off. That's when the chase begins and you're back to square one.

KillerBear is not talking about running hounds or beagles on the deer where you have to shoot a deer on the run. (though it is awesome)

This is more like what he wants. Here is an awesome video of a Vizsla pointing deer without startling them and the hunting shooting them with a bow.

The hunter is so close to the dog that he's using the dog as his eyes,nose and ears. Can't say I've ever heard of such a thing on North American deer. That's one silent dog!

You need to be more specific on what you want. There are ways to jump deer with dogs to guys on pre-determined stands, and there are ways to use hounds and beagles to cold trail deer and eventually tire them out, but what you want sounds like something totally different.

i saw on a show it was men using bloodhounds to track the deer then you shoot them once the dog found them i searched the web and found nothing i want to find how to train a dog to hunt like in dirtydaves vid can you point me in the right derection?

I use dogs to jump and track deer, but I really don't have any idea how usefull a dog that gets on one deer trail and follows it out of the country would be. I want a dog to locate and jump as many deer they can, and also get on a cripple track and follow it until a bay.

It sounds like you need to decide if you want a dog to be open or closed on track first. Then it will be a long road of starting with drags and then moving to the field where you just start putting deer in front of it. I think you will find that deer are not easy animals to bay and asking 1 dog to do the job may just be too much.

Why do you guys keep talking about RUNNING deer or BAYING deer? That is not what he is looking for.

1st, You want a pointing dog. This Hunting style is very similar to bird hunting. Dog goes on point, hunter moves in. My buddy (he doesnt hunt) has a Weimaraner that points deer. He found this out while camping and a deer walked by his camp. The dog went on point but didnt chase. (with no training)

Have you ever trained a Bird Dog? Or hunted birds over a good pointing dog?
Lots of the training will be the same. Though with bird dogs ideally you "Break" them off of deer so that they ignore the scent completely. You dont want this, but you dont want the dog to chase the deer either. This is where the bird dog training comes in. You want the dog steady on point and steady to the shot and/or flush. If the deer spooks and takes off running, you dont want the dog to chase. Just like you dont want your pointer to chase a flushing Pheasant.

THANK YOU DirtydDave that is exactly what I was talking about! I had found NOTHING on the internet at least I have DirtyDaves post to look at now!

Norcalkyle- (please don't isulte my deer hunting I deer hunt all the time and is one of my highest prides) I have heard of the way you hunt and Its done in thicts and such we don't have thickets here just woods and farms so that was out of the option.

I don't think norcalkyle was insulting you or your way of deer hunting, you asked about deer dogs and we told you what we had used or heard of, if you had give more info on what kind of hunting you were wanting to do we would have understood you better, I have never heard of hunting like you are talking about and wouldn't have posted about beagles and hounds if I had known what you were wanting to do, but with the info given I thought you were talking about running them with dogs I I bet kyle thought the same thing

Originally Posted By: KillerBearwhat would be the best dog for this purpose ?????

I guess any good pointer could be trained to hunt deer this way. Starting with a pup would be best. The dog in the Video is a Vizsla. A Weimaraner, GSP, GWP, Cesky, etc should work too. The GSP is the most common pointing breed in the US and should not be too hard to find a breeder.

Originally Posted By: KillerBearTHANK YOU DirtydDave that is exactly what I was talking about! I had found NOTHING on the internet at least I have DirtyDaves post to look at now!

Norcalkyle- (please don't isulte my deer hunting I deer hunt all the time and is one of my highest prides) I have heard of the way you hunt and Its done in thicts and such we don't have thickets here just woods and farms so that was out of the option.

I wasn't insulting you, I was telling you how I used dogs to hunt deer. If you wanted a pointing dog, why didn't you say that in the first post?

I think you have answered your own questions with wanting a pointing dog. You need to find a close mouthed dog, that naturally points and train it to hunt deer. Pointing dogs only point birds because that is what they are trained to do. They can easily be trained to point deer if you train them.

thank you dirtydave!!

norcalkyle sorry I misread that. the reason I didn't say pointing dog was because I never have had any experience with hunting dog and am trying to git into it!

Back