Baiting

Coyotewhisperer, I haven't heard of that attractant. Not sure how much it might cost either, but you may be money ahead if you can use table scraps, left-over meat trimmings etc. I collect a lot of things from chicken bones to table scraps, deer trimmings and what people give me. I then put them in freezer bags and in the freezer. I generally try collecting bait all year long.

As for the usefulness of the attractant, without knowing I will say that more than likely it's just one more thing for someone to make a dollar at, and for someone else to loose a dollar. If it has some magical ingredient that lures coyotes any better than what I have been doing over the years, then I too would be all for purchasing some. But, as you know, there are a lot of gimmicks out there that just don't work, or don't work any better than anything else. My thoughts, as I say without knowing, is that it's just a marketing ploy. But, I will stand corrected if I'm proven wrong.

I used the Eagle Tac T100C2, the 3.4 watt model. It does a good job up to 100 yards, but closer is better.

The trail cameras provide IR light and I can shoot with just either one of them illuminated, but sometimes I need to fill in light, and that's when I use the Eagle Tac. I also have a 940nm light mounted on the top of a tall 4x4 post about 23 yards from the site. I can remotely control that light from the cabin, on and off. The 940nm light is totally stealthy, no visible light at all coming from it, but it isn't as bright as the Eagle Tac that operates at 850nm.

I hope I'm not boring you guys with so many videos. I'm just posting in hopes that it may benefit someone.

Here is yet another test I did last night. I used the Eagle Tac at a potential bait site area of 125-135 yards. The illumination is lacking and not as bright as at 60 or 75 yards, but still I could make a killing shot at the longer ranges. What I could see on the LCD vs what this video shows is somewhat different. I could see better than the video indicates.

This is an example I posted earlier, at the 60 yard site and with a variety of infrared light.

As for the usefulness of the attractant, without knowing I will say that more than likely it's just one more thing for someone to make a dollar at, and for someone else to loose a dollar. If it has some magical ingredient that lures coyotes any better than what I have been doing over the years, then I too would be all for purchasing some. But, as you know, there are a lot of gimmicks out there that just don't work, or don't work any better than anything else. My thoughts, as I say without knowing, is that it's just a marketing ploy. But, I will stand corrected if I'm proven wrong.

yeah you're probably right, i haven't tried this bait either, just saw it in a store the other day and was wondering if anyone had used it before. Didnt know if it had some magic potion for attracting coyotes or what not lol

Last edited:

Your thinking is the same as mine. I'm not aware of any magical potion to lure coyotes. If there is, then those guys will make a fortune and I'll be a regular customer. LOL.

Just curious, how much does it sell for?

my concerns about not having coyotes around after removing the 2 females in the last couple weeks has proved to be wrong.... which I am happy about but still surprised. since Wednesday tracks all over the place just got a shot at 8:30 this morning .. missed ...it was out 350 yds plus which is out of my capability but I tried to compensate.
coyotewhisperer, baiting is fun I like to know what I put out --even though it all gets eaten no matter what but some things will work more quickly than others. also if you have multiple types of stock piled baits and multiple sites I save certain baits for certain sites. good luck

here is a pic from another site i checked after the last post. day and time correct month and year wrong. multiple pics last night never had this much activity at this spot. i may get my chance to shotgun tonight. with all the pics i think there are 2 ... size and color even though i did not get a pic of 2 together.

That's great dog driller. That dream of a shotgun coyote may just come to pass.

Nice trail camera photo too. Which model camera is that?

6mm06,
it is the microwhite model w4f with 2 high intensity white led's resolution 4mp flashrange up to 50 ft sensor range up to 60 ft. i bought at dick's sport goods last spring on sale for like $60. at first i did not like it at all and did not use it for quite a while after initially using it. but when i damaged my other wg camera and wanted to have multiple cameras out i decided to give it another try and it seems to be working pretty good. this fall i also picked another wg with ir and a longer range and more resolution that is my main camera now at my main site. my "old damaged wg" i am going to put out tomorrow in another location and see if it will work. i am not 100% percent it is broken but something is rattling inside that should not be. i may just get another from cabela's as they were on sale and be done with it. for the price and overall pic quality also they use 8 aa battery's and i have gotten --great battery life out all of these cameras -- i love them. the date issues on my pics are my fault i don't keep up with it. i have a bunch of sd cards and as i am out and about i am generally changing them every couple days so i know what the days ..etc.. are.. so it is not an issue for me.
you getting any activity yet? or hearing of anything picking up in the area.... that has to be tough i remember what that was like here last year. we do not have much snow just enough to keep the ground white and to hunt the woods. we are supposed to go calling tomorrow can't wait ...if i am up late tonight i am going to be sleeping during the calling tomorrow... better than sitting on the couch.

Well a wasted four days and nights sitting over bait, My partner and myself put in over twenty six hours apiece at two different bait sites and not a coyote, or fox came to dine. Seems like even the ravens have taken the week off from feeding. Things sure are slow. We see plenty of sign around the sites but they don't seem to be feeding on them at all.

Hi everyone,

Time flies by, been very busy with my company and too many projects around the home, so I let the beginning of the season sneak by. Also, my game camera stopped working after dark – all my night videos were coming back totally black. Finally gave in and bought a new camera, will send the other back for warranty work at the end of the season. Got the new cam in on Friday, had it set up Saturday afternoon. Decided to set up the new camera on the same stump as last years setup, and put the old model at a 90 degree angle, just to compare the performance of old vs new. Didn’t take long, had action the same night. My Chamberlain alarm went off at 2 am, did get a look at one in the NV, but very jumpy and never had a decent shot opportunity.

Had one quick movie by the older camera, and about ten from the new – sure looks like the older model is failing…

Here’s a clip taken of my first customers. You can see the black IR light coming on in the closer camera, sure looks like it spooked him.

This is a black IR camera, no red or white light whatsoever, and is supposed to be invisible to all critters? I have watched this over and over, and am still having a hard time believing the IR could be detected? Maybe a coincidence that the yote had grabbed a bite and fled at the same time the second camera was coming on? Will be leaving both cameras set up, so I guess time will tell…

Anyway, think it is a good thing to let them mark the area, and attract more to the site before I take them out. Colder weather is on the way, so only a matter of time!

saw coyotes saturday night... after having my camera stuffed with pics like my last posted pic i thought nows my chance to get the shotgun shot i have been waiting for. i set up at 9:30 on saturday night at 1:30 AM a fisher cat came in for a 5 minute snack ..cool to watch. also coyotes start vocalizing in the distance. 3 AM first coyote appears like a ghost and before I can get the shotgun out the cutout hole ...he's gone ..no idea where.. did not even stop at the bait. at 3:30 another coyote appears ...get the gun ready to shoot... gone again. also between 3-3:30 coyotes start vocalizing again...closer. by 5 A.M. i decided to head in and get a couple hours of sleep.
i bundled up and used the heat packs to help stay warm and did ..except for my feet which i failed to put packs in my boots. the shotgun i was using was my old mossberg 500 12 ga. that i carry all the time when we are out calling ... however in this situation trying to keep the pump quiet and not rattle, moving it around was more of a chore than i care to deal with also the barrel is longer than i would have liked for this spot ... going to switch to my NEF 12 ga. with a modified choke .. shorter quieter and more maneuverable. i figure i am only going to get 1 shot so the pump won't matter. tracks outside the bedroom window this morning ..... they are taunting me.

Lefty, I'm like you, I'm not sure if the coyote just turned the same time the camera came on, or if it scared him. It's hard to tell.
I do know that some coyotes (and fox, bobcats too) are sometimes scared by the IR, yet sometimes others don't seem to mind.

Here is a red fox from just last night. I have two cameras at the site. The one doing the video is a Bushnell, and the one to the
right that scared the fox is a Moultrie M880.

Click the photos for video.

Also, two nights ago I got yet more footage where neither a red nor gray fox seemed to mind the IR. Not sure if the red is the
same one or a different one. Here is that video, but hawks first.

Dog Driller, sorry about the missed opportunities. Stuff happens. You will get one eventually with the shotgun. Hang in there.
Glad you handled the cold OK. For me, I don't think my feet ever get warm when hunting out like that.

Some cameras make a click when they come on from sleep mode, and that may account for some of the ones which spook. I never thought much about it until I had my Browning shooting video with sound and heard the distinctive click when one of the Wildgame cameras came on. It spooked the coyote. Cameras that have IR glow will sometimes spook coyotes if they are looking directly at the camera when the IR comes on, but that shouldn't be a problem with a blackout.

Just have to stay with it and it will work your way sooner or later.

FINALLY!! A coyote showed up the morning of the 21st, around 9:47 PM. He grabbed the wired-down bait, managed to get a small bite, and then left. He hasn't been back. Both cameras got one video each. Hawks continue to be bait stealers.

Click the photo.

The last coyote visit was November 28. He visited for a short time that one night and didn't return.

You'll get that one pretty soon 06 and with kill shot video too.

I got one tonight about 11:45. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Been a long dry spell for me too on the bait pile, but the calling has been good.

Last edited:
6mm06, this is great. forgot to ask you before had you been staying in the hunting camp during the drought or only now since you have visitors.

doubleup, i will give you a congrats now.

been quiet here all week no pics but there are some tracks and some good pics of a big red fox the other night. have not called this week --no time -- good luck all

Congratulations DoubleUp. Nice coyote, and good to see one finally show at the bait site after a quiet time.

Dog Driller, coyotes here are unpredictable critters, or so I have noticed over the last three seasons. You can never tell what they might do next. I have had them hit the bait on a particular night, and then just disappear for weeks. It's tough hunting that way. I'm just hoping this yote will return often enough to make it worth my time to hunt.

As to staying at the cabin, I generally only stay when I'm ready to hunt, when I have decided via trail cameras, that the time is right. I do sometimes stay down there just for the fun of it, but not as much in the colder temps. It's currently 12 degrees out and the wind is terrible. I would have to feel pretty darn positive about a coyote showing for me to stay tonight.

Back