A double triple, single and a big tom in Laredo

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I got a last minute invite to Laredo for the last weekend of deer season this weekend. So, I threw my gear in the truck and made the 8 hour drive down Friday. I meet one of the guys on the way, and we got to camp just in time for me to make a few stands before dark.

John dropped me off on a big pipeline that I was going to call on foot, while he checked some cameras. I headed east and made two stands with nothing showing. After the second stand I was getting to close to the noise of an oil rig so I walked back to where he had dropped me and headed West about 300 yards to set up again as the sun dipped below the horizon and light was leaving fast.

The grass was tall, so I was standing using my bogpod tripod. I started with a couple of female howls and muted the caller. Almost immediately, 2 coyotes appeared on the edge of the pipeline about 20 yards from the call. I dropped the first one and the second disappeared the way they came. I hit pup distress and he came back with a friend. I dropped him at about 30 yards and missed his friend as he made his way in a circle back to the east. I could see that he was going to cross the pipeline running hard and I lead him about a foot and he cartwheeled at the shot from about 60 yards. But got back up and ran back the way he came and I missed a follow up shot.

They heard the shooting and came to pick me up, and after getting a flash light I found the runner.

2.5 minutes into the 3rd stand and I had a triple!

Laredotriple14_zps969117cc.jpg

We headed back to camp, and after taking some pictures the ranch hand who spoke almost no English was to take me to a few spots for some night calling. 3 nights stands produced nothing but an owl as I had a hard time getting him to understand how I wanted to set up.

We went back to camp for supper, and after hearing some coyotes howling, I decided to set off on foot to do some more calling. The second spot I had eyes at the 5 minute mark and it was big bobcat at 40 yards. I settle the crosshairs and "click". Crap, I forgot the chamber a round in my AR
mad.gif

I racked the charging handle and to my surprise he just stood there. I shot, and heard the wallop. A let it play a few more minutes and went to pick him up, but he was nowhere to be found.
unsure.gif
I know I didn't miss that sucker!

I walked back to camp intent to come back and look in the daylight. I crawled into bed at 12:30 as we had to be in the deer blind by daylight.

They dropped me at the blind and before daylight the coyotes were howling and the deer where filling up the sendero. About 8 o'clock I saw a coyote cross behind the deer and disappear, and when the deer left at 8:45 I got down and set out the caller in the pipeline the stand was on. I started with a couple of howls and run threw several rabbit sounds and even pup distress with no luck. At the 30 minute mark I started in on snowshoe hare HP and a few minutes later I saw a coyote run across the sendero and circling towards the pipeline. He came out beyond the caller and I dropped him with the 25-06 about 12 steps from the call.

Laredocoyote14_zps9bce0528.jpg

They came to pick me up and got on the 4 wheeler to go see if I could find my cat. I went to where I knew he was standing and sure enough I found blood, but no trail. I found him about 50 yards straight behind the tree he was under.

Here is the spot in daylight.
He was under the green tree in the center of the picture.
Laredocatstand14_zpscfae5ce7.jpg

He was a 26.5 pound male.

Laredobobcat14_zpsd413e89f.jpg

I made a few afternoon stands on Saturday but had not luck. Not sure if it was the wind or what, and went back to the deer blind about 4pm but even the deer were not moving and only saw a doe and 2 fawns. But about 5pm the coyotes were yipping. As the sun dipped I decided to make a stand about 400 yards from the stand on the same pipeline I killed the triple on. But, I waited too long and the light was fading fast. A couple of howls and then I had one answering and one booger barking from behind me. And I ran out of light.

I went back to the truck and put the light on my gun and planned to make stands on the way back to camp and supper. At the second stand after dark I had eyes almost immediately and dropped a coyote on the move as I could not get him to stop as he was circling to get the wind. Less than 30 seconds and another one made the same trek and died as the other less than 5 feet apart. A minute later and I had eyes circling and it was another coyote. Lip squeaking wouldn't stop that one either and my shot sent him into a stumbling run. I couldn't find the third one in the dark, but like the cat I decided to come back and look this morning.

2/3rds of the triple.

Laredocoys14_zps18511bb9.jpg

A couple more stands and I headed back for supper, and made two more on foot after supper with no luck.

This morning I shot a hog at first light from the deer blind, and after they picked me up, we stopped to look for the third part of the triple. Sure enough, he was about 40 yards into the brush.

LaredocoyoteAR14_zps059bae05.jpg

Here is a picture with the weekend take with the exception of the bobcat that I had already skinned.

Laredopile14_zps21f2f55d.jpg

Then it was time to throw my stuff back in the truck for the drive home. All in all, a pretty good weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm jealous! I'm sitting here on my long weekend sick in bed, wishing I could be out hunting. Don't even have the energy to read the internet!

Nice photos...

Man I need to hunt south texas. I r worked down there before but never hunted. Sure looks like fun so maybe one day ill book me a hunt. Texas hill country will have to do for now. That's a fine weekend you had there, goo job and write up.

Last edited:
Venatic was around Carrizo Springs the same time and we talked off and on over the weekend. He ended up with 6 coyotes 6 bobcats 2 coons and 1 gray fox. Not the mention the 2 bobcats that guys hunting with him missed. I wish I had that many cats.

I think he spent more time calling because he wasn't sitting in deer blinds, but he put a hurtin' on them.

Most the coyotes were male. All 3 of the first triple were males. I didn't pay that much attention the rest but I remember at least one female. The biggest coyote of the weekend was the 3rd coyote of the first triple. Of those first 3, they were 25.5 pounds, 26 pounds and 27 pounds. I did weight any others except the cat at 26.5 pounds.

All weights were on my digital scale I carry with my calling gear. So, the cat was heavier than most of the coyotes.

Yellowhammer huw much diference is the hunting in south texas than here in east texas where we hunt? i would think more yotes down thtre. proley more cats to.

Quote:Yellowhammer huw much diference is the hunting in south texas than here in east texas where we hunt? i would think more yotes down thtre. proley more cats to.

I think they probably have more coyotes overall. It is unbelievable how many animals that country holds.

You see rabbits and rats everywhere you look it seems, so there is plenty of food.

There more coyotes and bobcats in East Texas than you would think, but where I am you just can't see well so the coyote has the advantage. Although the area I was hunting in Laredo was so think with brush finding a good spot to call was tough.

Bottom line, I think they just have a higher population due to the food sources.

Yellowhammer that is a good cat. as it is a short drive from pineland to hunting i hope some day we can get togher for a hunt. you might teach ( old folks) some new tricks. i enjoy your post and pics. keep up the good work.

Back