17 Fireball and 25 grain bullet

Pruson

Does anyone have any info, load data on this round that they would be willing to share? Looking for accuracy and speed.

I'm running H322 in mine over a 25gr vmax. I don't have specifics handy but the min/max off Hodgdons site is 17 to 18.3 so there's not much there to work with.

I've run benchmark and 335 along with a few others. My most consistent loads were with the H322 with the vmax.

I tested various powder/primer combo's for the 25 gr Berger's and what was the most accurate in my Rem. model 700 was 16.9 grs. of H4198 / Remington 7 1/2 BR primers. This load chornied at a hair over 3800 fps.

Thank you to all that offered comments. Hope this turns out as an awesome load once I narrow things down to suit this rifle. Thanks again.

I run 16.2gr of H4198 with 25gr VMax. I haven't run it over the chrono so not sure on the speed but is a consistent 1/2" or under load.

I used 17.8gr of N133 with 25gr Berger target. These went into a ragged hole but seemed to be a bit hot in my rifle when temperatures rise so I walked away from it.Accuracy wasn't there with less powder. Several people I know get to 18gr or slightly over with the N133 but obviously not in my rifle.

What rifle do you have Pruson?

jdunham
I am getting a Model Seven Predator again, had one and let it go. Have two friends with the same rifle. One of them will be mine this week. I have H4198 powder, but I am a big fan of all Vihtouri powders that I have had any experience with. My Ackley Hornet loves their N-120.

What 17 FB are you shooting?

Last edited:
It is a Rem 700 221 Fireball LVSF that I had rebarreled with a Pac Nor that was supposed to be the same contour. Barrel came back a little heavier than the LVSF contour but I liked it so I kept it. I dropped it into a McMillan Classic and threw on a jewell trigger. I wanted a LVSF in 17FB but Remington didn't chamber it so I started building one. It is a chunk at 8lb 7oz wearing a Leupold 6-18 with LR duplex, but it shoots. Actually carries pretty well and doesn't feel that heavy. Was looking for a woodchuck rifle when I built it, but it is a decent calling rifle. Scope is overkill for that but it is workable if I want to take it.

Those model sevens in 17FB are a nice package. I have been tempted to try and find one as a calling rifle. One of many nice rifle models/chamberings that Remington has dropped.

Now that is a sweet looking rig. I like the barrel being slightly heavier contour. You're right about them dropping some nice rifle models lately. Shame.

Here is my old one, new one will be identical, even with the same Leupold scope.

I have a Model 7 FB and the best I have found so far has been XTerminator which is a load I saw in the Hornady manual and I had 8 lbs and it worked better than my old H-4198 17 Mach IV load so I stuck with it.

Just have to find some Xterminator now.
crazy.gif

Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x50 with the Illuminated German #4 Dot reticle on two of my favorite calling rifles including the 17 Ackley Hornet, my primary fox rifle.

When focusing on coyotes which are in more open terrain and seem to hang up farther out I use a Browning A Bolt 222 or X-Bolt 243 with a Nikon Monarch 4x16, Nikoplex reticle.

I forgot to add that here lately I have been leaving them all set on 6x when calling and only zooming out if need be on those that hang up out there a ways.

Last edited:
mine likes 18.8 gr of benchmark. also had good results with 10x. h4198 produced scatter gun groups. i'm shooting a 3 groove,9twist pac-nor barrel.

Yes it is. I use the same load for v max and Bergers. Shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yards with my 3x9 scope and old eyes. I don't have a chrony, but would like to know......22 inch barrel.

Back