.223 Case length

centerfire_223

I checked two different manuals this morning and they were .010 difference between the two. One said 1.750 and the other 1.760, what is right?

1.76 would be the max case length. I also trim to 1.75, but as long as they are no longer than 1.76 they will work.

Originally Posted By: centerfire_223What would be the shortest one you could use? I measured a few this morning and found a couple 1.740 in length.

They are fine, wont make a hill of beans any difference..

Originally Posted By: centerfire_223What would be the shortest one you could use? I measured a few this morning and found a couple 1.740 in length.

what is important is that they are all the same length for neck tension. What that length is, within ..030 or so is not important. Just that they are the same.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I trim to 1.750. It wouldn't really make much difference either way...

This^^^ I know some guys don't trim unless the case exceeds max lenght. I like to start with all the same size brass. Probably doesn't matter too much as far as accuracy goes but it can't hurt any either when its only ten thousands or less.

Posters:

ALL of the respondents are WRONG!

The trim length (1.750) DOES matter, and so does the max length of 1.760. Telling someone those limits are arbitrary, don't really matter, etc. ignores the lab/SAAMI factory testing done that established those limits and the standards for the chamber length.

And, those limits are especially important for new reloaders to adhere to for safety while they are learning the ropes.

Your cavalier responses imply the case length is just an arbitrary 'preference'.

Yes, one can exceed 1.760 by a few thousandths IF you have done a chamber cast on your respective chamber and know it is a bit long...BUT it's on you when you get a case extraction issue, split neck, etc.

And, too short of a case can be a problem as well....

Note I processed 100 .223 cases in the last 24 hours, and took random measurements on all lots including chambering tests after sizing.

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialPosters:

The trim length (1.750) DOES matter, and so does the max length of 1.760. Telling someone those limits are arbitrary, don't really matter, etc. ignores the lab/SAAMI factory testing done that established those limits and the standards for the chamber length.

And, those limits are especially important for new reloaders to adhere to for safety while they are learning the ropes.

Your cavalier responses imply the case length is just an arbitrary 'preference'.

Yes, one can exceed 1.760 by a few thousandths IF you have done a chamber cast on your respective chamber and know it is a bit long...BUT it's on you when you get a case extraction issue, split neck, etc.

Note I processed 100 .223 cases in the last 24 hours, and took random measurements on all lots including chambering tests after sizing.

... and BuckeyeSpecial is ALL WRONG!
tt2.gif

223 SAAMI case length is 1.730" to 1.760".

SAAMI Min Chamber is 1.7720"

So there is another 0.012" from max case to the end of min chamber.

Further... neck length has nothing to do with neck spitting.

So your comments about too long and too short are pure, unadulterated, meadow muffins.

In fact, your whole post is pure Bullscat
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Umm...what!?

Cat, please try to keep up, he was talking about .223 not 5.56 .

Is it too soon?
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialPosters:

tt2.gif

So your comments about too long and too short are pure, unadulterated, meadow muffins.

tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Yeah... it has only been 10 days since the last idiot
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: C.JayCat, please try to keep up, he was talking about .223 not 5.56 .

Is it too soon?
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialPosters:

tt2.gif

tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Centerfire....do you know your gun's chamber length? That's the first thing, then you can make an intelligent decision about the necessity to trim brass. Get a chamber length plug from Sinclair and find out. A factory .223 chamber will be at least 1.780"-1.785". Trimming new brass just because the reloading manual has a "trim to" length makes no sense. Concerning neck tension and trimming to the same length, think about this: The .223 neck length is about .200"......with a length difference of say .005" between cases, do you think a bullet will feel the very miniscule difference in neck tension that .005" will make, and that you'll see any measurable difference in accuracy? Remember this is a .223 and not a benchrest cartridge/gun.

And he just processed 100 cases, wow. Even so, this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialPosters:

And he just processed 100 cases, wow. Even so, this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Kinda what I was thinking, 100 cases in 24 hrs he must be extremely tedious

Back