Eotech Scope Yardage

Nucleartech

Got the Pleasure of talking to rockinbbar on the phone the other day. He had seen one of my posts on my buying the Remington R-15 .223 & using the Eotech scope on it. He has the 3x magnifier on his. I guess my main question continues to be, am I going to be able to shoot dogs at say 200 yards with this scope without a magnifier? Rockinbbar seemed to think that 200 yards would be about the max? Just want more input....Thx's

Last edited:
If you can see the dogs at 200 yds without magnification I would say yes but you won't have a refined aiming point like you do with a scope. You'll have basically a 2" dot hovering over the coyote, you will hit the coyote but at 200 yds who knows exactly where. I wouldn't recommend it but yes it can be done.

I'd say 200 yards is a good estimate. I've shot groups around 1 1/2" at 100 yards with mine off the bipod. Turn the intensity down as far as possible and that dot is TINY, so if you've got a stable shooting position, it's as accurate as any other non-magnified sight.
Shooting off a bench you might get out past 200 by a good amount, there's really not a limit to it.
I don't have the magnifier either, since for that price I can buy a pretty nice scope.
grin.gif

Quote:You'll have basically a 2" dot hovering over the coyote, you will hit the coyote but at 200 yds who knows exactly where.

Well, the dot is actually smaller than 1 MOA, and you'll hit right where the center of the dot is, if you're zeroed at that range.
I messed with mine a lot, trying to cause errors by using the top, bottom, center of the window, and there's zero parallax error once you're past abot 50 yards. In some ways, it beats a scope. Even a 2 inch diameter dot on a coyote looks pretty small at 200 yards. That's about twice the size of its eyeball.
wink.gif

Last edited:
My buddy's AR will hit the gong at 300 yards all day with his Eotech (no magnification). Just put the dot on it and squeeze the trigger!

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker

Quote:You'll have basically a 2" dot hovering over the coyote, you will hit the coyote but at 200 yds who knows exactly where.

Well, the dot is actually smaller than 1 MOA, and you'll hit right where the center of the dot is, if you're zeroed at that range.

I was going from what the paperwork that came with my Eotech stated....1 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA circle, 1 MOA being just over 1" at 100 yds makes it just over 2" at 200 yds and a coyote's kill zone at 200 yds isn't a huge area. I guess if you have good enough vision it's plenty but I think alot of poke and hope is going on at that distance with no magnification at all.

Originally Posted By: NucleartechGot the Pleasure of talking to rockinbbar on the phone the other day. He had seen one of my posts on my buying the Remington R-15 .223 & using the Eotech scope on it. He has the 3x magnifier on his. I guess my main question continues to be, am I going to be able to shoot dogs at say 200 yards with this scope without a magnifier? Rockinbbar seemed to think that 200 yards would be about the max? Just want more input....Thx's

The 200 yard thing without magnification is just my preference...But, I have the magnifier, & believe that at yardages past 200 yards I benefit more from using the magnifier.

If I was calling and for some reason didn't have the mgnifier on my rifle & a coyote hung up at 300, I'd probably end up killing it with the eotech anyway..
smile.gif

As was mentioned, a 300 gong is no problem. I sight in with my bullets impacting at 100 yards just top side of the dot, so, I have pretty much point & shoot to 300.
Once you get a little range time with the eotech you'll be deadly with it.
thumbup1.gif

Barry

Quote:If I was calling and for some reason didn't have the mgnifier on my rifle & a coyote hung up at 300, I'd probably end up killing it with the eotech anyway..

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I'd need to have a better rest than shooting off my knee, though.
wink.gif

I would with the scope, too.

Quote:What size is the center dot and circle?
The circle is 65 MOA across and the center dot actually is less than 1/3rd of an MOA. Most people cannot resolve the dot smaller than 1 MOA which is why we advertise it as such.

EOTech FAQs

Yeah, they advertise it as a 1 MOA dot, but it's smaller. It also depends on how good your vision is. If I take my glasses off it looks like a giant balloon.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: NucleartechGot the Pleasure of talking to rockinbbar on the phone the other day. He had seen one of my posts on my buying the Remington R-15 .223 & using the Eotech scope on it. He has the 3x magnifier on his. I guess my main question continues to be, am I going to be able to shoot dogs at say 200 yards with this scope without a magnifier? Rockinbbar seemed to think that 200 yards would be about the max? Just want more input....Thx's

I'd say the 200 yard mark is a good guess.

It will just depend on your vision. The Eotech will go as far as you can see to aim it accurately.

I use an Aimpoint with a 2moa dot and I can easily hit my target at 200 yards. If conditions are good I can get out to 300 yards. I now use a 3x magnifier and I'll flip it up even at distances shorter than 200 yards if given the chance.

I find that the target color, background color, and lighting have a good amount to do with how far I can take a shot with the dot.

You'll figure it out once you have it mounted up. It won't take you long to see how far out you can use it. If you're concerned about buying one I bet there is someone up in your area that would be happy to let you check out their Eotech.

Good Luck

Nuclear,
Get a big cardboard box & cut out the silhouette shape (life sized) of a coyote. Put a 6" Shoot-n-See target where the vitals would be.
Stake your "coyote" out at 200 yds and see what it looks like through the scope.
Take note of how the Eotech reticle and center dot look against it. Can you see it clearly?

Also,every shooter is at the mercy of his position. So, if you hunt from the sitting position &shoot off stix, then shoot at your cardboard coyote from that position. You'll then be able to answer your own question about whether you can hit a coyote, or not at that range...

Quote:It will just depend on your vision.

I know from experience, in the heat of the moment, that 150 yards is the upper limit for my eyes and a EoTech.

I don't think you can go wrong with the magnifier on a FO mount.

I gave up on Eotechs for coyotes.
Comparing an Eotech to a 6X scope at 200 yds, is like comparing threading a needle to picking your nose. I rarely miss my nose on the first try.

I agree with you. Having a stable gun platform while out in the field is a good thing. I see a lot of people on film missing and they are just using shooting sticks. When you get in a hurry to shoot before the coyotes head for the hills it's good to have a nice rock steady shooting platform IMHO.

Which is why I'm going to use the Caldwell Magnum DeadShot FieldPod as a shooting platform. I'm hoping that lugging the extra weight into the field pays off in dividends down the road with more yotes killed and fewer missed shots.

It's not cheap and it weights 13 lbs and is sort of bulky to carry on your back but I think it's better to have the Magnum which is built stronger than the regular FieldPod from Caldwell. I may be wrong and get tired of hauling the heavy thing around. But I've read where some guys had problems with the plastic breaking on the original Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod which is why I opted for the heavier duty one.

And if you hunt at night with lights you may not have to worry about getting too far away from the vehicle at night. Some guys said that they hunt out of the back of the bed of their pickup trucks in some places. Now I can't hunt from the roadway here in IN but I guess that's done in some other Western States? Not really sure that I would want to be shooting from a roadway. But if I could drive out into an open field and setup on the bed of the truck to shoot coytoes at night that might be nice. I'd be up higher and could see better.

There is a guy that lives near me that builds shooting platforms an sells them from what I heard a few years back. I think it was an elevated platform that swivels and allows you to shoot from it while sitting on a rotating stool. I remember it was like a portable shooting bench that rotates around a center 3" diameter vertical pipe of some kind. The seat and bench rotated around the pipe together. I think it sold for like $300 or under. But that was a long time ago when I saw that thing.

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:If I was calling and for some reason didn't have the mgnifier on my rifle & a coyote hung up at 300, I'd probably end up killing it with the eotech anyway..

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I'd need to have a better rest than shooting off my knee, though.
wink.gif

I would with the scope, too.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66I gave up on Eotechs for coyotes.
Comparing an Eotech to a 6X scope at 200 yds, is like comparing threading a needle to picking your nose. I rarely miss my nose on the first try.

I think that the type of terrain that you hunt in has a lot to do with the type of sight optics that one uses.

Wide Open day light hunting spaces would be where I would want a good Rifle Scope with at least 16x mag.

But if I were hunting in Southern IN where there is a lot of brush and tall grass all around you and you don't have a lot of room to shoot long ranges then maybe the EOTECH Holographic sight might be the best option for quick short range shots and fast moving coyotes day or night.

Some areas where I would hunt seem to be so thick that it would be hard to use a 4 x scope on a close in fast moving coyote that blows though the setup and runs over the decoy/caller trying to get out of dodge.

Everyone's eye sight is not the same I guess. I know that my eye sight is not as good as it was in the past as I just turned 63 yesterday and am developing Cataracts and have been near sighted since I was in High School and am now farsighted since I got older.

I'm going to be trying some new contacts that are marketed to correct both near and far vision along with astigmatism at the same time. But my eye doctor said that they don't work good so I may just be wasting my time. But I'd give my left arm if I could see good again at all ranges. It's a [beeep] have to haul reading glasses out in the field when I wear my soft contacts. And when I wear eye glasses I end up taking them off so that I can see up close even though they are trifocals.

I'm hoping the new soft contact lenses will let me see better.

I've got some type of damage to the left retina from a heart operation that I had almost 5 years ago. And the Blood Pressure medicine that I have to take gives me blurry vision at times. It's a [beeep] not being able to see clearly all the time.

So I figure using the EOTECH will help me shoot close up coyotes in thicker cover area with small shooting lanes.

I can't wait to get my EOTECH and start using it. I think that adding the M-33 magnifier that flips to the side will help me shoot both at short ranges and at longer ranges. If not then I've wasted a lot of money and my time on this setup. But I think it's a good way to go for people that hunt in brush.

Who knows maybe I can get another Ambush Firearms Upper in 300 black out or 6.8 SPCII cal and go hog hunting.

I read that there are some wild hogs in certain parts of the county that I live in. It's rumored that someone brought them into the area and turned them loose in the wild parts of the county. So now there is a hog population according to the rumors. Now that's where a quick holographic weapons sight would come in handy. You have to shoot them before they attack you!!!

I remember when on vacation an trout fishing in the Mountains out East I was thinking about two things other than trout. Bears and Wild Hogs. Well make that three things. Mountain Lions. I don't want to run into any of these three critters while unarmed and out in the field.

In fact someday I plan on getting a pistol to carry with me out in the field for self defense.

Originally Posted By: VolCrewQuote:It will just depend on your vision.

I know from experience, in the heat of the moment, that 150 yards is the upper limit for my eyes and a EoTech.

I don't think you can go wrong with the magnifier on a FO mount.

Plus 1

I think it depends more on the shooter how stable the shooting platform is than the EOTECH's accuracy at 300 yards.

Also a lot depends on your eye sight and how you pull the trigger without flinching or moving the gun when the trigger breaks. And then there is the type of bullets and the wind and a few other factors.

Shooting off sand bags or a secure Caldwell Lead sled device you should be able to hit a plate sized target at 200 yards easily with a good rifle and good ammo.

I have the HHS1 system and zeroed in at 50 yards and then shot at 100 yards to see where the bullets would hit when I aimed at the bulls eye using the EXPS3-4 center dot and the G33 magnifier in position. I only fired three shots at 100 yards so far and have yet to shoot at 200 yards or more. But two of the three bullets were right next to each other which tells me that my precision was good. The accuracy was off a bit as the bullet holes were about 1.5 to 2" high above the center of the bulls eye on the Shoot N C targets at 100 yards.

I'll be out at the range when the weather breaks and see how well the AR15 shoots at 200 yards with this HHS1 system.

BTW the EOTech EXPS3-4 Holographic weapons sight with the four dots (vertical) should shoot out to 600 meters. The first dot is good out to 300 meter. Second dot down out to 400 meters. Third dot down out to 500 meters and the bottom down out to 600 meters for the 223 cal shells. I'm not sure what weight bullet that's calibrated for or the barrel length that was used to test these sights to determine the range for each of the four dots. So that's a variable.

The G33 has a diopter adjustment that really helps me see the tiny dots a lot better. And my eye sight is not that good even with corrective eye glasses.

I also found that a single finger print on the glass of the EXPS sight can really make the dots harder to see. So keep the glass clean as possible to get the best results. I use a lens pen on my glass to keep it clean and free of dust and finger prints and smudges.

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarOriginally Posted By: NucleartechGot the Pleasure of talking to rockinbbar on the phone the other day. He had seen one of my posts on my buying the Remington R-15 .223 & using the Eotech scope on it. He has the 3x magnifier on his. I guess my main question continues to be, am I going to be able to shoot dogs at say 200 yards with this scope without a magnifier? Rockinbbar seemed to think that 200 yards would be about the max? Just want more input....Thx's

The 200 yard thing without magnification is just my preference...But, I have the magnifier, & believe that at yardages past 200 yards I benefit more from using the magnifier.

If I was calling and for some reason didn't have the mgnifier on my rifle & a coyote hung up at 300, I'd probably end up killing it with the eotech anyway..
smile.gif

As was mentioned, a 300 gong is no problem. I sight in with my bullets impacting at 100 yards just top side of the dot, so, I have pretty much point & shoot to 300.
Once you get a little range time with the eotech you'll be deadly with it.
thumbup1.gif

Barry

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66I gave up on Eotechs for coyotes.

During the day and for long range shots where you have time to setup the shot then I agree with you about the EOTECH without a magnifier. But with the G33 magnifier the EXPS3-4 should be as good as a 6x scope. I guess it depends on the type of scope and the glass and it's mounting etc.

I shot a High Standard 16" AR15 with a 1/9 twist rate groove on the barrel using a cheap 4X32 Gamo Air Rifle Scope and a 1" riser mount and was shooting 1/2" MOA at 100 yards. My EOTECH with the Magnifier shot just as tight of a group at 100 yards. I had one flier that was right in the bulls eye but that was because I was in a hurry and shooting faster than normal because the range was closing as I shot these three shots. These shots all should have been about 2" high. But with the EOTECH system the precision was good and 2 out of the 3 shots hit just where I expected them to hit. I was zeroed in at 50 yard and shooting at 100 yards for this test.

While a good rifle scope with high power an good glass should be better than the EOTECH for long ranges past 200 yards they won't let you shoot a running coyotes up close and personal at night or even during the day times as well as the EOTECH system.

EOTECH is good for up close and personal coyote hunting which some people deal with. Others are lucky to have a hunting area where they can take long range shots and need a big powerful scope.

My thought is that for my type of hunting zero to 300 yards but mostly under 100 yards the EOTECH system was the right one for me. Obviously other's hunting situations may differ.

It's hard to find a system that is best for all possible hunting situations. IE Long and short ranges at the same time.

To answer your original question I don't think I would shoot past 100 yards without the magnifier. But that's me and I say that because of my poor eye sight. You may see things differently.

I just got back from the range today and got to shoot my AR15 with the EOTECH EXPS3-4 at the 200 yard ranges. I was able to shoot a group within about 3.5" to 4" of the center of the bulls eye using the G33 magnifier at 200 yards. I personally don't think I would feel comfortable shooting over 200 yards with my HSS1 system.

I was shooting off a sturdy bench and a Caldwell Tack Driver shooting bags and it was difficult to hold the little tiny red dot on the bulls eye of a larger shoot N C target. The 1 MOA dot pretty much covers a 1.5" radius bulls eye.

Some day in the future I'll get a Caldwell Led sled and see if I can shoot with more precision.

I'd just go with a 1-4 or 1-6 optic. Best of both worlds that way and far cheaper than an Eotech with magnifier. The Burris MTAC, Vortex Viper PST, Leupold VXR in 1-4 power ranges are all good offerings.
Only reason I can see using an Eotech is on a combat platform where you need the ruggedness and the ability to co-witness sights as a backup. Also, Aimpoint> Eotech for these applications.
SWFA is running a heck of a deal right now on a Burris XTR 1-4 with a PEPR mount and a Fast fire III sight all included.

Back