Bolt Action or AR style rifle???

Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I found it recently while researching different coyote hunting rifles. I have decided on the .223 caliber, but I am undecided on what style of rifle to get. Should I go with a bolt action? or a AR style? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Either one will work. A bolt action will be cheaper than an AR in general which will leave more money for glass. If budget is a concern I would go that route for now.

I have a .243 bolt gun and a 223 AR and its hard to decide which one to take. I like the AR fir file up shots but with the .243 it's rarely needed. Can't go wrong either way

I just bought my first ar-10 in 243 and love it! It shoots as good as a bolt and has minimum recoil for follow up shots. If you can swing it I'd buy one. You won't regret it.

I have both and I love both. The ar is nice for follow up shots.... but there is something about bolt action rifles that I really really enjoy.

Get the bolt, then save up for an AR later. just my opinion

I have two bolt action coyote guns. A .243 for 35+years, a .223 Ruger pencil barrel with that funky Ruger all weather stock for 20 years. I decided that I needed to upgrade to an AR about 9 years ago. I have two of them now. They have let me down several times this year and before, by not getting the bolt locked up. I'm back to my Ruger .223 because it shoots 1/2 inch and it is much lighter than the AR's,(thanks,.FUNKY Ruger stock). Both bolt rifles have had trigger jobs and actions bedded.
I sometimes wish I had not begun the search for a better rifle than what I had ,...but that is not human nature.
AR's I have,.. but don't need. I have never lost a coyote with either, and have had more misses with the AR's. I have never missed with my bolt guns.

Pack

You won't regret getting an AR, and you won't know that you liked them so much until you get one. As far as glass....SWFA.com has deals on the new Bushnell AR-Optics like the 1-4x24 with the SSALT AR scope mount for under 300 bucks. throw that on an 16-18" POF, Rock River Arms, DPMS, Remington VTR and you'll be very happy I promise. NOW with that said....I'm about to purchase a Shnieder Barrel for a 22-250 bolt gun build I've been wanting to do for a while. And funny thing..here in Arkansas I carry my Remington Versa Max 12ga more than anything!!

Welcome and good luck.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyI like my AR's.

I love lamp.

Chupa
lmao
I like bolt guns, but could be biased because I don't own an ar. Living in nys it's highly unlikely that I ever will!!!

I own several of both. I hunt with both. I've killed with both. I've missed with both.

I do feel more comfortable shooting bolt rifles and do shoot them better than the AR's. The AR's just feel kinda *awkward* to me. Fun to hunt with though.

I have both, I tend to shoot better with my bolt gun but haven't had the AR as long so that will most likely change with time.

I've had both and I'm partial to my bolt guns. The AR's seem a little more awkward to handle especially if you get a heavy barrel. I've had two AR's with heavy varmint barrels and for calling and general hunting they were too heavy and weren't very balanced. With that said I have held some light barreled ar's that felt pretty handy. But overall I'd take a sporter weight bolt gun any day of the week.

Originally Posted By: jkrugerOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyI like my AR's.

I love lamp.

Chupa
lmao
I like bolt guns, but could be biased because I don't own an ar. Living in nys it's highly unlikely that I ever will!!!

A decent quality AR is as accurate an any stock Bolt Action...However, not everyone is able to adapt to shooting the AR configuration well...I've owned both for years and shot a bunch of 'action' competitions with the AR platform...

I would suggest that, before you commit money to an AR, find a shooting range or friend that has one, and try it out first...Without instruction on stance/position, it's easy to have bad shooting results and then there is a tendency to blame the rifle, rather than practicing to shoot it correctly..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleA decent quality AR is as accurate an any stock Bolt Action...However, not everyone is able to adapt to shooting the AR configuration well...I've owned both for years and shot a bunch of 'action' competitions with the AR platform...

I would suggest that, before you commit money to an AR, find a shooting range or friend that has one, and try it out first...Without instruction on stance/position, it's easy to have bad shooting results and then there is a tendency to blame the rifle, rather than practicing to shoot it correctly..

Good advice here. I love my AR's but I like my bolt guns as well. My next two purchases will be bolt guns as a matter of fact.

Chupa

Back